Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warrior with Bamboo Armor

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
theStoff greentooth
I'm trying something different than my usual work to improve my anatomy knowledge. I'm going for exaggerated proportions and muscle structure, perhaps similar to street fighter. It's based of a drawing a friend of mine made up:

1Cwbumn.jpg

I'll be posting here in hopes of feedback to learn as much as I can from this project. Here is what I have so far:

Q1UOeV0.jpg

I recently did have a bit of feedback saying that the legs may be too stubby. Although, I'm not sure if it might just appear this way because the torso and arms are too long. Regardless if anyone else has an opinion on this or any other points about anatomy I'd be happy to hear it.

Replies

• theStoff
  • KKolar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KKolar polycounter lvl 3
    Your basic muscle anatomy looks alright, you just need to define everything a bit more. As for the legs they are definitely too short. If you measure from the top of his head to the bottom of his crotch, that distance should be the same as from his crotch to the bottom of his feet(bottom of his crotch should be the midway point). His chest is also way too big. I know his chest is supposed to be exaggerated but they look like inflatable muscles right now. Flatten them out a bit and make then a little smaller. You might want to shorten his neck a bit, muscular people usually have pretty thick necks, and his is a little too skinny. Other then that keep up the good work
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Agreed with KKolar on the proportions. The head itself is also too lean. In the concept the face is much more boxy which is quite fitting for a muscular person. Bulk up the features and give him a lot more jaw. Always have the character in mind, his personality, what he's been through etc.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    The top of the body is not always equal to the legs, legs are generally shorter, especially on men ( and average women too, that's why they use high heels ). But yeah, they look a bit short here.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Thank you for the input everyone. Here is an update based on the feedback. Let me know if I still didn't hit the mark.

GNGSRIw.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Still needs a bulkier face. Compare with the concept. Pecs are too big/tall. Upper part of tricepts are too long. Feet are too blown up before the toes. Deltoids are too defined where they meet the pecs and back making those harsh lines.

I like the style of the concept, forms are simple and readable. Are you going for a more realistic approach? That's okay but right now it looks more like an anatomy study than a character. The shape language is quite different. Perhaps you could make it a study instead, get down the basic stuff then come back and modify it to fit the forms of character you're trying to make.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Thanks for the follow up AimBiZ. I really appreciate it. I made some more changes to the jaw, feet, triceps, deltoids and pecs. As for the style, the idea was to create a more "realistic" version of the character but yes I was also combining it with a bit of a study. I've started blocking in some of the gear as well. I had to make some changes to the design so that the swords on his back could attach to something.

dFWyd22.jpg
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    Your progress is looking great! The triceps look pretty squared and the short head (outer) could still use some work. To bulk up the face, I would to try and widen the chin a little. Fingers are also on the small and stubby side. Keep up the good work!
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Thanks Rafferty_Eggleston, I haven't gotten to touching up the anatomy for a bit since I wanted to take a step back and work on the gear however I will work to implement your suggestions soon.

cn5tHrO.jpg
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    The gear is looking sweet so far!
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Thank you! I'm glad you like it. I've made some teaks to the anatomy including the triceps and the jaw area. I'm not sure if it looks better so I'll keep tweaking if it's not. I also added more overall detail.

i2acKCX.jpg
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Looks really good. One thing I notice is how tight you made the rear deltoid connect to the tricep. It makes it look like the bodyfat percentage around that area is like next to nil. Might want to smooth that area up like in the below image.

409482-bodybuilder-back.jpg
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Thanks, tynew. Hopefully this is better.

kDClpn9.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Your chest->upperarm tie in looks really awkward, it looks like the shoulders are rolled forward tightly

other than that it looks solid so far
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Thanks for the tip frell. Hopefully this looks better.

j0Ggxfu.png
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I do like how this is turning out. But, honestly I feel like you could have pushed the details more in the sculpt and they would of truly benefited the low poly. Also the colors feel a little flat at this point. Maybe toying around with the spec a little will help everything find its place? (maybe the details don't push as much because of the spec?)
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Thanks, Dimfist. I do feel like a lot of the detail I had got lost actually. I tried to fix my materials to bring it out more so maybe this is better:

ks9UOp0.png