Home General Discussion

From Simulation to Fine Art School?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask you guys your thoughts and advice at what I'm thinking of as a plan for next year, I'll try and keep it fairly brief too. I've worked at simulation companies and some contract work for mobile game studios here in Australia for roughly 2 years but my girlfriend and I plan to move Melbourne in the next year. I was going to study Fine Art for a year or 2 to really improve my art fundamental skills, like drawing, painting, composition, all that jazz. My digital skills are passable enough but my drawing and concepting skills are terrible. My portfolio is at http://bugfush.com/. One of the things that bugs me is that my hand painting skills are not up to scratch as well. I guess what I'm trying to do is level up my traditional skills and then work on the digital side of things at home, to improve all aspects of my art which I think this'll do.

Question is, does this sound like a good idea? I don't know if it's strange for someone who's already worked at games and simulation companies to go back and study fine art. I think I'd advance faster this way too since really having more free time to dedicate to the improving my traditional skill set.

PS: Before we talk of debt and money, I'm in Australia so it's okay! We have a system here where you don't have to pay up front and everyone is entitled to just take a loan from the government that you only have to pay back once you reach a certain salary threshold and even then only in small incremental amounts. Yay for education! :D

Replies

• MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Question is, does this sound like a good idea?

Depends on the school. Will you go to a snobby artsy fartsy tampon-in-a-teacup type art school that looks down on commercial art or will it be an atelier type of school where you just go hardcore learning techniques and media and not waste time on non-artmaking classes ('cuz it's required to get a degree, for example).

Are there evening art courses available where you'll live so you can still be in the industry as you upgrade.

I know you said you're in Australia, just wanna say people who live in L.A. are lucky as far as training resources are concerned cuz I know pros over there teach night or weekend on-site classes at schools like the Art Center or in places like Red Engine Studios, Concept Design Academy, Anatomy Tools workshops, etc.
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Depends on the school. Will you go to a snobby artsy fartsy tampon-in-a-teacup type art school that looks down on commercial art or will it be an atelier type of school where you just go hardcore learning techniques and media and not waste time on non-artmaking classes ('cuz it's required to get a degree, for example).

Are there evening art courses available where you'll live so you can still be in the industry as you upgrade.

I know you said you're in Australia, just wanna say people who live in L.A. are lucky as far as training resources are concerned cuz I know pros over there teach night or weekend on-site classes at schools like the Art Center or in places like Red Engine Studios, Concept Design Academy, Anatomy Tools workshops, etc.

Thanks for the response man! The place I'm looking at now is Latrobe College of Art & Design, it looks pretty spick and I've looked and talked to some people there, and from the sounds of it, it seems more atelier type like you said with different branches depending on where the students want, with myself being digital. They focus on teaching fundamentals too, which is what I need along with focuses on drawing and painting which sounds great to me. And yeah, they have evening courses too so it's all planned out. :)
  • joncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, It sounds a good idea that you have been working along fine art stream since 2 years. If you throw an advanced and quicker means to improve your traditional skill, then stay with that spirit don't worry about other matters which are going on close to you.