Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Development university module

harjm
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
harjm polycounter lvl 4
I was set to model a base mesh of either a male or female to put into sbrush to sculpt.

Below is the base mesh i created and the progress of my sculpt feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Harjinder

Base mesh
[SKETCHFAB]63f4fed323464f6daea6dbe28a7d0566[/SKETCHFAB]

Sculpt in progress

15Sculptprogresscorrectedcharacertomatchreferenceshapeandfeatures_zpsd1893071.jpg

16FinishedBasemeshwithoutheadturbosmoothed_zpsc01630be.jpg

Replies

• harjm
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Model reference i am working from

Sebastian_0120_zps05207642.jpg

Sebastian_0119_zps49d7c7d8.jpg

Sebastian_0122_zps04f2b46c.jpg
  • harjm
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    [SKETCHFAB]3fa39f46d9c446ba821e04d1bb722c9b[/SKETCHFAB]

sculpt progress any feedback to help me improve please

thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    A bit square, especially on the thighs and feet. If you add more loops on the base mesh you can get a nicer curved shape because you have more to play with. Add some down the legs and across the fingers- if you add more please try to space them out so there are few deformities when you sculpt (you will know what those are when you see them).

The biceps are flat, much unlike the reference photos- because his is quite defined.

There are holes on the nose, incomplete topology from the base mesh, probably some vertex you have not welded together.

Neck feels like the most defined part because you have the muscles and such there, while the hands and feed are quite flat, nothing to show shape, muscles, veins, bones etc.

Topology for the base mesh is nice, very few triangles and such, one continuous mesh.

Feet a bit small and short, arms a little bit too long- hands normally go to about just under hips and 3/4 of distance from knee to hip.

You have 70k polygons on your sculpt- use them! It is very flat and a lot just make straight lines.

The head needs some work too. Try using the move tool in ZBrush (B> MV) to get the curvature of the mouth. The ear could do with some defining, look at reference work for the ears.

He is also flat foot...
  • harjm
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Update on my Sculpt progress and thanks Howard for your feedback will have a look nto everytng yo mentioned.

18CharacterSculptProgress3legs_zpse9ff1044.jpg
  • KKolar
    Offline / Send Message
    KKolar polycounter lvl 3
    Hey man, first thing I would say would be you need to take things a little slower. I know its not what you want to hear, but everyone has to go though it. Look at a ton of references, and don't focus on the details, focus on the silhouette and overall shape.
    Keep at it man, keep doing anatomy studies, and if this is what you love, you will be successful.

I did a quick paintover for you, its not perfect but I hope it helps. I didn't have time o work on the head, but that needs some love too.
    pq9Uov6.jpg?1
  • harjm
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Hi KKolar thansk for the pant over will help alot not had chance to check forum lately trying to get most of my work done for universty modules but appreciate the help and will soon update thread.
  • harjm
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Have smoothed out the detail i started doing with blockng out my form and have started to do that now with the arm and will in the next couple of days have more progress to show.

23sculptprogress_zps925b06ae.jpg
  • harjm
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Current progress of sculpt taken a step back and developing the forms slowly first it is coming along and is starting to look simlar to my reference not sure about the head will need to work on that.

25sculptprogress2_zps63bde07e.jpg

24sculptprogress_zps0c9cd66c.jpg
  • harjm
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Been A while since i replied but this was my Fnal handin was not too happy with the fnal result as could not finsih it.

CharacterStrippolyline_zpse6213c9a.jpg

perspective3_zps15a62a72.jpg

Upper_zpsae476c99.jpg

Legs_zpsa8d8e89d.jpg

Head1_zps1484babb.jpg

Armsandfeet_zpsbaac1237.jpg