Home Technical Talk

dDo Question

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
I know this thread:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110844&page=27&highlight=ddo
. It seems to be in pimp n' previews vs here.

I have no environmental nor material preset beyond colors for materials. All materials are showing worn like edges. Even on materials like glass. How do I turn this off? Is this from an exaggerated height map?

I would like to edit the actual default materials versus putting material definitions on top. Is there a way to do this?

Also how do I edit the original files and have dDo update the project?

Replies

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    That worn edges is probably from the cavity map that's generated from the normal or inputted at the beginning. That'll be one of the top layer in the group (spec and diffuse), below the AO layer.

The other stuff I have no idea about. Maybe you should elaborate more on what you mean by edit the 'default materials' — do you mean changing a materials d/s/g values or something else?
  • underfox
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    are you sure you don't have any material preset? I ask you that because more than once I thought that I had no material presets and then noticed that I could " unzip " the materials, presets were hidden in it :P
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    That was it Bek (cavity). Thanks! Thought it was only using the cavity for additional material details (dust/etc). Wouldn't have though it would have done that on all materials by default. Is there a way to make it use cavity per material versus entire diffuse?

Per rest. I mean say the stock bronze material. Editing the actual files it uses to create. I assume there is some detail map its using versus just a default d/s/g color for a material definition? At least the normals lighting looks like such upon close inspection. Or is this because its using a jpg for the normal map preview file thats creating that slight texture on otherwise smooth surfaces*?

*Not in original Normal Map file.

Per the original files. I mean the actual files you choose at the beginning of a project. So you don't have to redo the project each time you need to do an edit on say the original color map and normal. Not only the time to restart the project, but then having to reset all your custom layers again.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Hm, if you're wanting cavity for scratches per materials there's two possible approaches. If you can use a material preset, like plain edge or something, and have that apply by edges (Which I assume uses the cavity) then you're set. If that doesn't work you could manually add scratches per-material by using the custom detail layers—each material comes with 6. Screwing around with layers in other places can mess with ddo.

All materials (afaik) are just base d/s/g colours; if you're seeing noise in the previewer then it must be from jpg compression of the textures. If you have marmoset you could easily check if this is the case.

And yeah as I said in the hangouts there's no way that I know of to progegate changes in the colour map to a project. You could try editing the masks for each material to reflect your changes but I doubt this would be faster than starting the ddo project again.

I usually end up restarting the ddo project a few times, usually before I add any custom layers. If I have added custom layers that I want to keep I'll open both documents at once and duplicate the custom layers from old to new. Usually the first time I'll define my materials, check the previewer for any obvious errors and then save this project as a new ddo preset. So when I make changes to my colour map and start ddo again, I only have to input my files—all my materials will be matched. Doesn't take long at all but if you're working on a lot of assets I can see this being tedious. Not as tedious as setting up d/s/g masks from colour manually though.

Maybe a future update will let you change the colour map on the fly.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    Auh, sorry Bek didn't realize you were Ben. Ill see if plain edge will delete the cavity per material then and save as preset if so. Gosh I hope they do such soon (allow updating from original files and cavity check per material).

I have Marmoset.... on a different computer. :(. I hope its only jpg compression I am seeing. Wonder why they don't use a png for the preview file?
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Not sure really, maybe in their testing .jpg was significantly quicker. Actually, if you expand the 'Load Mesh' option in the previewer you can manually import images, so if you're desperate to check something now you can export like usual (except gloss separate from spec) then do that. One button is 'load map from active document'; that might just do .jpg's again though.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    New Question. Is there a way to modify the Marmoset Skyshop in dDo? As in a config file. I need to disable GI to match closet the engine I am putting assets into. Right now, they look very different.