Home General Discussion

Maya subdiv modeling - creasing vs adding more edge loops/topology

I'm new to maya and game design in general, so apologies if this question is very newb.

I'm currently working on training my subdiv modeling skills(pressing the 3 key to see smoothed version of model) to train on making a high res version of my polygonal mesh. So I wondered what your thoughts were on using the creasing feature vs adding edge loops/more edges(such as in this link: http://wiki.polycount.com/SubdivisionSurfaceModeling) in context to game designing?
Would you use creasing to create normal maps of your models?

What are the pros and cons of creasing? So far I know that creasing just makes lighter models and allows for more faster hi-res creation.
However what bugs me is that it seems to create some strange surface texture at a higher setting and it looks different in the renderview(using mental ray)

I heard that some studios are stuck with using edge loops/adding edges in their pipeline, while others are just glad to be using creasing instead. But only heard of this in animation studios, not in game design.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Whatever is fastest and gives you the best results. Sometimes creasing works great and is easier and cleaner, sometimes edge loops work better. It varies model to model.
  • Decoyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got any examples of what kind of model or shape would be better off with edge loops than with creasing?
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    If you're really clean with your loops then i'd say you're better off going that route instead of creasing. That said, once opensubdiv becomes available the idea of using edge weighting becomes more attractive.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Creasing is really good for previewing your model smoothed without overloading it too early with edge loops. For models that I don't plan to sculpt, I will crease them early on and once I'm further in and satisfied with the shape, I'll start adding edge loops to get a clean hipoly.
    For models that I plan to sculpt (in Zbrush) I'll only use creasing. Since Zbrush supports Maya creasing (via GoZ), it allows you to keep a much cleaner mesh, that will subdivide much more optimally.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Bal wrote: »
    Creasing is really good for previewing your model smoothed without overloading it too early with edge loops. For models that I don't plan to sculpt, I will crease them early on and once I'm further in and satisfied with the shape, I'll start adding edge loops to get a clean hipoly.
    For models that I plan to sculpt (in Zbrush) I'll only use creasing. Since Zbrush supports Maya creasing (via GoZ), it allows you to keep a much cleaner mesh, that will subdivide much more optimally.

does this only work with goz and not obj export?
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Ged, obj does not support any kind of creasing, not sure there's any other way (when you use GoZ, an .ma is exported).
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    here a little inside on creasing and opensubdiv...

there was also an other video where they showed how they modeled the door from monster university... but i cant find it...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZazwvYc5o"]Meet the Experts: Pixar Animation Studios, The OpenSubdiv Project - YouTube[/ame]
  • Decoyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu wrote: »
    here a little inside on creasing and opensubdiv...

there was also an other video where they showed how they modeled the door from monster university... but i cant find it...
    Meet the Experts: Pixar Animation Studios, The OpenSubdiv Project - YouTube

Very interesting. The creasing module he used seems so much more advanced than the one I'm using in the maya 2014.
    So is this thing out for public usage and download yet? (tried to find a download link but unsucessful) And will this new creasing module be the end of edge loops?
    I like how what you see in the viewport is what you get.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Decoyz, what are you seeing in their creasing module that isn't in the 2014 one? I always thought Autodesk just took the Pixar tool and added it to the latest versions of 2014 (that video is from April).
    I'm pretty sure the tools are the same, it's just the subdivision model that is different.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    the creasing tool he is using is in the advantage pack...
    edge loops wont go away... if you go the creasing way all tools in your pipeline have to support them...
    i use creasing a lot in combination with mudbox to get hard edges there... but if i need a clean model i do everything with edge loops...

pixar is using creasing to have less geometry in there scenes... for example the racing track in london for cars would be to heavy to render if they had used no creasing...
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    People should also consider when using edge loops you are adding geo where it is needed at edges, which is often better than having to crank the subdivisions level up to get it to look nice with just creases.

But to the question it isn't a support loop vs crease thing, but a "and" thing. They both got there uses.
  • Decoyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal wrote: »
    Decoyz, what are you seeing in their creasing module that isn't in the 2014 one? I always thought Autodesk just took the Pixar tool and added it to the latest versions of 2014 (that video is from April).
    I'm pretty sure the tools are the same, it's just the subdivision model that is different.

some differences i noticed instantly, aside from the module window, is that the edges dont get so harsh/sharp with values over 1. I also find that I get a really tough time to impossible getting an edge that is between soft and super harsh. And my values I put in are between 0-1.

another thing is that the viewport isnt exactly honest about what the creased edge looks like, with it looking different in the renderview.