Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Zbrush] Ratman (looking for crits)

Hello Polycount. Time for me to show off something i have been working on, but i need your help.

Im an enviorment/vfx artist looking to do some sculpts in my freetime, beacuse this is an area i have always wanted to be good at.

Anyhow, with this one i started off solo and probably should have made a thread right away so i could get some crits earlier on in the process.

Enough of me babbling, here is the rat man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UuoXh4cshI&feature=youtu.be

CMiDYtL.png
Ufn5pnY.png
ejxjQkI.png

And this is what im aiming for.

tyYdxnS.jpg

WHAT I NEED HELP WITH:

-Crits on general forms (this is something i struggle with beacuse i can barely draw and i usually use zbrush for like hardsurfice details)

-Anatomy ( does it look like a rat or dog? what can i change?)

Where to go from here? ( I felt the model what decent enough to post here, but i really need some advice on where to go with it. The detailing is where i am talking about. Should i work on refining major shapes or can i moove on? I also need help with finding theese details, beacuse other than wrinkles and maybe fur im totally clueless.)

Im looking foreward to any response, it would be much appriciated.

Replies

• Draconius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Draconius polycounter lvl 7
    hey man! I love these little guys. take a good look at the eyes on the concept they are way smaller then your sculpt. Smaller eyes usuually give that more ferocious look.

for the mouth its never to early to start adding some teeth it's going to be way easier to build the mouth around as teeth give it it's structure.

for the nose try to really look at the masses, it has muscles all around it so the front is going to flow in that big muscle you have behind it.

I also think the jaw has a way more streamlined look to it don't be to distracted by the fur if you look at the shadow on the concept it has a slightly more curved feel.

also give the guy some cheeckbones. they are small but add a lot to the character since they are so prominent due to not having fur on them.

hope this helps! good luck.
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Start at a lower subdivision level and build in all of the forms that you want to see before moving to the next subdivision level. Right now, the sculpt looks very doughy and uneven in tessellation, as well as detail. Details should be added last.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Draconius

Thanks a bunch. Ill take a look at the eyes. And maybe adding in the teeth and working with the gums and all that.
    The nose was a problem area. The references between real life rats and the ones i use differ sligthly and with all that fur its kinda hard to make out.
    Ill be looking at naked rats for this one.
    Cheeckbones deniatly. although i dont really know where to start there.

@Dough
    Im working with dynamesh. Started around 16. And to be honest i quite like the major forms. I understand what you are saying though. I have problems with defenition. Im not sure how that would be solved though. What im saying is that if i went out of dynamesh and tried to work at it, im not sure how i would improve what i have so far. Thoose kinds of crits are the ones im looking for with this thread.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I think you need to use more ref of real life rats, getting images of rat skulls in particular will help you with the forms. Here are some things that stand out to me:

The ear needs to start a little higher on the head, and it's also the wrong shape. It should be more round, you have a bit of an egg shape going on in the side view.

The nose is too wide, this is especially evident in the top view you have, the bridge of the node could probably be a little narrower as well.

The lower jaw has a number of problems, in the front view it is too wide, the jaw and the bridge of the nose are about the same width on a real rat.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alemja

Thanks for the suggestions. Really good ones at that. When Draconius mentioned cheeckbones i thought i would take a look at rat skulls. I might have gona overboard with my fantasy references.

The shape of the ear was at first circular, but i changed it into kinda of a soft triangle shape.

Super good response so far. Im still really terrible at sculpting, but making a thread about it is probably the only way i can improve. I just hope i can follow through with the changes.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to check in here again. Updates going slow. Lots of stuff to correct. Expect a large post tomorrow with big revisions.