Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

To Build An Ogre!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
Heyo fellow polycounters! I am currently working on a portfolio piece, in which I'm building an ogre. Any C&C or ideas would be most helpful! Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Will do more work/updates tonight after I get home from my workplace.

196884fb904b70ef6506e7afad600b69.jpg

Replies

• Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update from tonight. Just added some flat color to get an idea of where I might want to take it. Still roughing out a lot of the detail on the accessories. More to come tomorrow night!

e0db7d960bb7d8191f3b74d38ecfc939.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I like it, cool design on the gear, esp the belt :)
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah I agree with lotet on this, but I'm not a fan of the pack design (I know its still WIP). Maybe by having it at an angle and a few talismans, etc here and there. would offset the symmetry.
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys it truly means a lot! Thanks for the tip Nerf. I always seem to forget to put indications of scale. I'll be sure to add some props to indicate such!

Haha I'm glad you dig the belt, lotet! I really wanted it to be a focal point. Nothing makes a statement like a big ole' belt buckle! :P

I definitely have too much symmetry going on Di$array. I repositioned the pack and I'm going to do a slight redesign so it in itself isn't so symmetrical. I'll sketch up some talismans/accessories and try to have another update tomorrow night!

Thanks again guys! -- Here is a little update on my character
    1. Flipped the belt. I had it on backwards.
    2. Repositioned / reworking the pack. ~ limit symmetry!
    3. Indications of scale soon to come!

61fb35bf36e2e4ddd6e7546ad2ee3e74.jpg
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    Looking sweet, he has a lot of charm in his face.
    The sphere details in his boots and bracer work well, but they look really odd on his pauldron and keep drawing my eyes to it.

Going to keep an eye on this, keep up the good work =)
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at it with fresh eyes, I couldn't agree with you more Lavitz. Thanks! I'll change that when I work on it tonight :D
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a smaller update tonight. Got the pouch mostly blocked out. Still need to put the buckle's tooth in the buckle. I also took the studs off of the pauldron. More to come tomorrow night!

pouch_by_rafferty_eggleston-d6tz1hq.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    nice update, i guess are you planning on separating the bag into more parts? cause its quite visible that the whole thing is sculpting from the same mesh atm.

anyways, keep it up, looking forward to the next update :)!
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for checking back, lotet! :D I was considering separating the strap from the bag, but that is about it. Is it completely necessary to separate the items into multiple pieces? If so, is it mainly just for convenience while working or for baking purposes? Or just to clearly differentiate between the elements in the piece? I should really separate the patches/strap for that reason alone. Thanks!

Here is a smaller update again. Will have a better update tomorrow. Planning on sketching out some weapon and pauldron concepts. I am oddly fond of the simplicity of the pauldron now, but I'll see what I can come up with!

b32a65df6d408d98b7653a314e2bfb44.jpg
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some quick weapon silhouettes. They're all big two handed weapons, close to the size of the ogre. What type of weapon do you guys think I should continue designing? Will be back in a few hours to continue working!

weapons_by_rafferty_eggleston-d6u5acm.jpg
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    They're all really nice, but I'm leaning towards 4 then 1.
    I don't picture him using a slicing weapon, but definitely see him using a blunt sweeping weapon.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input guys! :D I was thinking more along the lines of a blunt weapon as well and had initially liked #1 the most. Since it is favored by others as well, I picked it. ;)

I'm not too fond of the round / softness of the hilt pieces. I was going for a chiseled / hammered feel, but it fell through. I'll try to go over the edges again with the trimdynamic brush to see if I can tighten up the edges!

The progress I made today:
    mace_01_by_rafferty_eggleston-d6u6zb9.jpg
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Further progress on the mace with about 10 minutes of polypaint. Tightened up the edges. More to come!

mace_02_by_rafferty_eggleston-d6uav3o.jpg
  • jinn15
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    characters lookin nice!!

the thing that looks off to me is the cylinder part under the handle, the dents in it look... awkward to me, i think cuz of the diagonal flow of it
    feel like cracks on stone is usually on the edges

http://cghub.com/images/view/383426/

but cant wait to see it finished!! =D
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looking good, and to answer the "separate stuff into different parts" question. Its both for convenience and for visual purpose.

I think separating everything could be the difference from a 9/10 model to a 10/10.
    but if this guy is gonna be on a 512 or 1024 texture or rendered from far away I would not be super concerned about it.

anyways, looking good, keep it up, the club looks great! :)
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback and reference jinn15! Those are some amazing models! I have no time tonight, but I'll fix the issues with the cylinder part and edge treatment tomorrow night

Thanks for the clarification lotet! Definitely makes sense. I'll do my best to separate the meshes into more parts wherever is sensible. I need to learn more about using different UV channels, and the benefit of doing so. But more to come tomorrow night!
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Rafferty, I like the process you’ve made with the weapon, pauldron, pouch, etc. Speaking of the pauldron I think the simplistic design works well, maybe you could turn it into a slab of stone or have some rudimentary carving on it.

As for the weapon I’d have gone with 1 or 3 as they have solid silhouette and looks like something an ogre would use. The others look a little complex for him. You know what I mean?

Keep it up!
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for checking in Di$array! Totally understandable on the silhouette and complexity. Here is a small update for tonight! I just went with a simplistic geometric shape on the pauldron. It is still subject to change :P Edited the cylindrical portion on the mace and I'm thinking about adding a metal claw support to make it more interesting / sturdy.

mace_03_by_rafferty_eggleston-d6uke85.jpg
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been quite some time since my last update. I got caught up with the holidays!

Here is where I am at now:
    9e4c54f24d92681e7a39369bf7af7f6c.jpg
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting the base colors down and then I'll do more in PS. I need to add more contrast and value to the pieces. I'm hoping to do so in PS within the next few days after I make the low poly mesh for everything!