Home Dota 2

Dota 2 workshop monthly unnoficial competition #10 - November

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
Welcome to our 9th monthly unofficial Dota 2 workshop friendly competition

This month we are keeping the single item style and this month of November the theme will be

"Single and not crowded items"
which means that you can do a single item for any hero that is NOT a Weapon or a Head piece.
even if you get a slot that could fit a weapon, its not allowed for this month (examples: lone druid back and bounty hunter back)

so in resume, weapons are not allowed even if they are not the weapon slot. shields are accepted

be creative and think out of the box! =]

---The competition

the idea of the competition is to create items in a friendly environment and with the feedback of the other participants to get the best result possible.

The single item style is good for the guys that are not used to make items, sometimes they just need a little pull with references and deadlines to get an item done

From this month and the next ones, its mandatory to post the work in progress, or else the submition will not be accepted!

Each month we are sponsored by HANDPLANE, which give us 2 licenses to be handled to the 2 best items
4FDV7.gif

Handplane is a tool for creating normal maps that are synced to specific game engines. Much like encoding and decoding an mp3, the math used to calculate tangent space must match between the normal map and the game engine. When the code does not match, you will often see gradients on your models. For workshop artists, this means you can eliminate the need for hard edges and supporting geometry that you would have otherwise used to control shading behavior. A video comparing different normal maps in the source engine:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeP-tOKryxU"]Source engine comparison with handplane - YouTube[/ame]

handplane is free for non-commercial use and we explicitly allow commercial steam workshop development under the free license.

http://www.handplane3d.com"

*** update, now its 4 licenses!, thanks Alec!

--- Getting your item displayed on the first post

PHP Code:
or this one for 2 creators
PHP Code:
set_name - name of your set, use equal as on the workshop
workshop_user_link - your workshop page, so people can browse your other items easily
Username - the name you think its easier to people find you, can be the one from polycount or the steam
item_link - the workshop page of your item
thumbnail_img - the image link of the thumbnail that is INSIDE your item page on the workshop (the thumbnail is the one with 200 pixels wide, you can get from your items page or add Code:
/200x200.resizedimage
to the end of the link)

**itens with larger thumbnails will not be accepted!**

---Rules
  • open for teams of any size
  • its allowed one item per hero per team/person ( two or more items for the same hero made by the same team/person will not be accepted)
  • everyone should keep posting feedback on other works, the feedback should be constructive
  • the final submition need to be a single item that doesnt break the rules
  • it must be submitted to the workshop before the deadline but not before the start of the competition
  • The item should be made on the month of the competition, its ok to continue one started earlier, but you should work most of it during the month
  • the deadline is the last day of the month at 23:59 (since we live in different timezones, some submitions may be accepted couple hours after the deadline)
  • From this month and the next ones, its mandatory to post the work in progress, or else the submition will not be accepted!

---Tutorials/working in progress videos

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123800

---Inspiring quotes

"It is absolutely insane the amount of top quality content that is being produced every single time here on Polycount. It's great to see so many cosmetics deliver not just on the technical end but also make for such great fittings in every other branch. You guys are doing an exceptional job and contests like this are only helping boost that exponentially. Brilliant stuff."

Wykrhm Reddy

"It was bloody hard picking from this list, I honestly enjoyed all of the entries. Keep up the good work guys!"

Cyborgmatt

Wow, that's really awesome. Please keep us at Valve informed so we can help draw attention to the winners, progress threads, etc.
Some advice:
Try to give some attention to heroes that are under-served so far (in terms of amount of content).
The success of sets tracks well with the popularity of the hero. (Although popularity can vary between updates and as Icefrog changes balance.)
Look for heroes that the community seems to have trouble creating content for. Good work can really open up the design landscape and help people think about the dynamic range of potential designs.
Don't forget about single items (instead of full sets). Many of the most popular items in the game are single items. Mounts and weapons make good candidates for this, but it varies by hero.
Mix up these approaches. So maybe one month you do a popular hero and another month you do a hero that has few items.

-Brandon Reinhart (Valve)

I love you guys for doing this! Dota2 is my favorite game at the moment and Polycount is my favorite community! I'm very proud to be apart of such dedicated artists and I smile every time I see some Polycount work in game

-coots7

---Presentation

the presentation is a really important part on the workshop, save some time before the deadline for that. the first impression means a lot on the workshop.

If you want to fancy your presentation here is a the polycount logo over the aegis, there is no need of it to be used

http://puu.sh/1QtZy

---Previous Months
OCTOBER
SEPTEMBER
AUGUST
JULY
JUNE
MAY
APRIL
MARCH
FEBRUARY

Finished entries

Wheel of Fate by Göddy and Shock

200x200.resizedimage

Twisted Tail of the Tormentor by Belkun

uk3svRS.jpg

Heart of the Fundamental
Modelled by Blender2Dota, and concept by Bernoulli

200x200.resizedimage

Caustic Crawlers

By BeetrootChan

268x268.resizedimage

Sylvan Beard by Sylei

200x200.resizedimage

Winged Assassin by Hunter-Killer

200x200.resizedimage

Boreas Embrace by Sylei and Godzy

200x200.resizedimage

Majestic Mantle by Vayne and Stefco

200x200.resizedimage

Power Booster by [UN]cagdasx44

200x200.resizedimage

Replies

• HFresch
    Are shields allowed, or do they count as weapons?
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I think this month I am going to make a couple of misc items, I'm just wondering what these generally are. Are there actually any ingame right now? Can they literally be anything and placed anywhere on the body?
  • cagdasx44
    İsnt the oculus (rubick's mythical artifucture) misc item. İf it is they can go ingame and they can be one of the rarest items of all
  • sadies
    Cool theme this month! Hope to see a lot of interesting entries :)

Here are some interesting item slots--

Naga Siren Tail
    Meepo Backpack
    Queen of Pain Wings
    Death Prophet Dress
    Sand King Tail
    OD Wings
    Alchemist Goblin Body
    Tidehunter back piece (Tide needs some more item love IMO!)
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    sadies wrote: »
    Cool theme this month! Hope to see a lot of interesting entries :)

Here are some interesting item slots--

Naga Siren Tail
    Meepo Backpack
    Queen of Pain Wings
    Death Prophet Dress
    Sand King Tail
    OD Wings
    Alchemist Goblin Body
    Tidehunter back piece (Tide needs some more item love IMO!)

Thanks for that, great bit of info.
  • HFresch
    Hey! I had this idea for an Axe armor-item, and just had to sketch it up quickly. The sketch is crude, but you get the idea.

I haven't really gotten anywhere when it comes to modelling yet (I've started experimenting just a little), so I won't be able to make this item. However, if anyone wants the concept, just PM me. I may be of some help when it comes to texturing - maybe.

Axe_1_zpsdaeb1788.png
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    competition project: lich back

first sketches:

lich%20back.jpg

front-back.jpg
  • ShorkGamer
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    Ryp79Z2.jpg
    My little Dagger
    Concept

ADD/PM me if u want to model it. :D

Cheers
  • ILM
    Offline / Send Message
    ILM polycounter lvl 7
    HFresch wrote: »
    Hey! I had this idea for an Axe armor-item, and just had to sketch it up quickly. The sketch is crude, but you get the idea.

I haven't really gotten anywhere when it comes to modelling yet (I've started experimenting just a little), so I won't be able to make this item. However, if anyone wants the concept, just PM me. I may be of some help when it comes to texturing - maybe.
    "Single and not crowded items"
    which means that you can do a single item for any hero that is NOT a Weapon or a Head piece.
    even if you get a slot that could fit a weapon, its not allowed for this month (examples: lone druid back and bounty hunter back)
    Does this mean that slot with weapon on the original model isn't allowed, but everyone can make soma weapon on any another slot and it's okay? And this "armor-item" can be allowed?
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    Shock wrote: »
    competition project: lich back

first sketches:

lich%20back.jpg

front-back.jpg

keep this in mind: http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Eldritch_Ice_Set
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5

Hm, one concern - do axe shoulders count as "non-crowded"? On the wiki there are 10 different axe shoulder items already in-game.

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Axe

Should there perhaps be a sort of threshold under which we consider "non-crowded"? Or maybe at least a list of heroes who already have a ton of sets, so the entire hero is considered crowded.
  • HFresch
    ILM wrote: »
    Does this mean that slot with weapon on the original model isn't allowed, but everyone can make soma weapon on any another slot and it's okay? And this "armor-item" can be allowed?

I can't speak for Tvidotto, but this is how I've understood the contest. We're supposed to make items for non-crowded slots. If we take my concept as an example, even though it contains weapons, in fills the armor-slot for Axe. This slot is almost never designed for except in sets. So there aren't a lot of cosmetics one could put in the slot.

This contest, as I've understood it, is to go against that trend and make single items for slots which don't currently have a lot of single items. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

EDIT:
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    Hm, one concern - do axe shoulders count as "non-crowded"? On the wiki there are 10 different axe shoulder items already in-game.

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Axe

Should there perhaps be a sort of threshold under which we consider "non-crowded"? Or maybe at least a list of heroes who already have a ton of sets, so the entire hero is considered crowded.

Yes, there are 10 items for the slot, but there are also 10 full sets for Axe. Meaning that all the armor-items for Axe are part of sets, so there are no single-items for that slot. Maybe this fact doesn't matter, I don't know, but in this case I've misunderstood the contest.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    nHyv9wf.png

Pugna cape and shoulders (top one is mine), comments? Also looking for a partner to do sculpting.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    I'm thinking about doing some stuff for Leshrac this month, since he is a pretty forgotten hero cosmetic-wise.

Trying to do a tail different from his current ones, here's something I quickly put together in about 5min:

ormPga6.png

Probably going to change the shape a bit, since I think it's too girly for him.
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    [awesome lich back]

Now this I like. Do you think you'll have enough polys/texture space to pull it off?
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    Wheel of Fate by Göddy and Shock

200x200.resizedimage
  • cagdasx44
    doing it with goeddy, he does the modelling. we talked a little about it
    and i think he is able to do it :) at least i hope so.

another sketch for the competition:

dk dragonwing (doing it with empire)
    dk%20shield.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136116759&searchtext=

Same idea
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't speak for Tvidotto, but this is how I've understood the contest. We're supposed to make items for non-crowded slots. If we take my concept as an example, even though it contains weapons, in fills the armor-slot for Axe. This slot is almost never designed for except in sets. So there aren't a lot of cosmetics one could put in the slot.

This contest, as I've understood it, is to go against that trend and make single items for slots which don't currently have a lot of single items. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

EDIT:

Yes, there are 10 items for the slot, but there are also 10 full sets for Axe. Meaning that all the armor-items for Axe are part of sets, so there are no single-items for that slot. Maybe this fact doesn't matter, I don't know, but in this case I've misunderstood the contest.
    Are shields allowed, or do they count as weapons?

ok let me try to explain better, i will add that to the rules too

you can do every slot you want that is NOT an weapon or a a headpiece (shields allowed)

also its writen on the rules " even if you get a slot that could fit a weapon, its not allowed for this month"
    so its better to not add weapons to the slots, or it may be considered unacceptable.

The intention is to create something new! the idea will count a lot this month
    Sadies gave some nice suggestions on a previous post

try to think out of the box, like butterfly wings for doom or bunny ears for ursa. (just joking here =])
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston wrote: »
    Now this I like. Do you think you'll have enough polys/texture space to pull it off?

Guys, that is something REALLLY important

check the polycount limit before the concepts, i made the same mistake with my AM set and had to discard a lot of work on the head piece with just 250 tris available
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    cagdasx44 wrote: »

i dont think so, they are really different. almost all the items on DK are based on dragons.

The silhouette of the single wing is much more interesting then the one with 2 in my opinion
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    i dont think so, they are really different. almost all the items on DK are based on dragons.

The silhouette of the single wing is much more interesting then the one with 2 in my opinion

thank you Tvidotto :)
  • MdK
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    MdK wrote: »

thx mdk, i just have to make this one a little more detailed, so far its just a first very fast drawn sketch, i think as soon i give it more "identity" there should not be a problem anymore with those others
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    If you can do it better than more power to ya! Just like the first linked shield is better than the second imo, make it better than both!
  • SNF
    Concept for a Slark shoulder. I wanted to give it a sort of salvaged/crafted feel so the bands are made of seaweed. Still unsure as to whether it would be better matching his other bands.

mLaZ9dO.jpg
  • polarbear
    I got an idea for a weaver back. (Is this allowed in the contest? Since the antlers are officially weavers "head")
    8g6lbDw.jpg
    I made a crude concept, just so you could see something. Size/Color/Form probably change as I get started in 3dsmax.
    I hope to get the modelling done soon, but the texturing is always the tricky part for me.
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    thx mdk, i just have to make this one a little more detailed, so far its just a first very fast drawn sketch, i think as soon i give it more "identity" there should not be a problem anymore with those others

Great, Looking forward to seeing your design! I just thought you might want to know there were similar ones out there so you can avoid having yours be too similar.
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    Great, Looking forward to seeing your design! I just thought you might want to know there were similar ones out there so you can avoid having yours be too similar.

yeah thx for ur info :) it was very helpfull in this early stage its alot easier to take care or such things ;)
  • foxclover
    Going to try finishing my first completely independent 3d item with this month! I've had a bit of experience with a few things, but never really tackled an entire item yet.

So first, there was the concept.
    AkE8ksz.png
    Which is kind of over the top. I'd love to do the original ponyta hair, but a lot of the characteristics of the original model just wouldnt translate well in game. Sometimes, the stuff that I concept end up being kind of pointless - in this case, the saddle feathers and rumpcover would be hidden by kotl's skirt.. Easier to design down than up.

And then drew up the base model:
    U4nzsbH.png

And I started working on retexturing the default horse into something that would fit this armor better:
    A3i5ntP.png

So yeah. That's where I am so far. Would love to hear opinions and suggestions before taking this even farther. I'm afraid the concept might not work as a solo item, or that the feathers are too long, etc.
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    You're 1 month too late foxclover! :P

In seriousness though, I admire you for choosing a mount as your first item and it's looking pretty good so far. Personally I think the horse mane in the upper right fits KotL the most.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Finished up this little dumb thing.

Twisted Tail of the Tormentor by Belkun

uk3svRS.jpg
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message

In seriousness though, I admire you for choosing a mount as your first item and it's looking pretty good so far. Personally I think the horse mane in the upper right fits KotL the most.

lol!

The horse is looking pretty good, though do you plan on doing more sculpting on it? Or are you just going to do pure colour painting for the textures?
  • foxclover

I wasn't planning on working on a mount! Just the armor, I swear! I think working on the default horse model is kind of shoring up my weaknesses - I pretty much only do 2d stuff, so if the horse looks good, people may be more forgiving on the model. >.<

lol!

The horse is looking pretty good, though do you plan on doing more sculpting on it? Or are you just going to do pure colour painting for the textures?

There's not much that can be added to the horse base other than the horse hoof tufts like this percheron, or maybe making the body stockier. Not sure. >.<
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    Pugna shoulder sculpt
    tkVtPSx.png
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    ibjmHHK.jpg

Started on a sword and shield for Axe. They are going to be placed in the misc slot on his back as a backup in battle. It didn't seem right to outright replace his axe and I felt giving him more axes was a bit overkill.

The sword will be placed behind the shield. Just need to work out something for the middle of the shield to make it more interesting. I didn't really do much concepting, just went straight ahead with some very simple base meshes and got to sculpting!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    ibjmHHK.jpg

Started on a sword and shield for Axe. They are going to be placed in the misc slot on his back as a backup in battle. It didn't seem right to outright replace his axe and I felt giving him more axes was a bit overkill.

The sword will be placed behind the shield. Just need to work out something for the middle of the shield to make it more interesting. I didn't really do much concepting, just went straight ahead with some very simple base meshes and got to sculpting!

im a little unsure of adding an sword to it, its a little against the rules this month

btw, did you check the number of poligons for the misc? normally is really low
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    im a little unsure of adding an sword to it, its a little against the rules this month

btw, did you check the number of poligons for the misc? normally is really low

I was thinking that maybe a problem but considering it was the misc slot I thought I would see what you said about it. No problem though, if you aren't happy with the sword. I have to say I was a little confused by the rules myself. I understood it to be that we couldn't make head/weapon slots.

The slots for Axe are 300 LOD1 and 500 LOD0 so I'm hoping it should be ok.
  • Godzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6

if it's not in the weapon slot nor the head slot, then it's okay. that was the starting idea so i don't see how it would be a problem.
  • Blender2Dota
    Would a shield for CK be acceptable?
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I feel like the purpose of this month is to have us branch out from making weapons, regardless of what slot they are in. That said I feel like shields are okay. But, since Tvi is the one organizing these threads and moderating he should have the final say.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    Im pretty sure its the slot that counts nit the subject matter. It being the back you could is what the point is.
  • polarbear
    ILdXe45.jpg
    This is what my weaver back looks like right now.
    I decided to integrate the skull into the scales of the back, instead of just painting it via texturing.

As I am quite new to 3D modelling I'll tell you how I created this, in hope of getting some feedback:
    I created a lod0 model in 3dsmax; tri count is 666 (< 700)
    Then I tesselated it with 3dsmax up to 10k tris.
    exported and loaded in ZBrush; created 4 levels of subdivisions
    used the standard brush and smoothing for scultping.
    done.

I have the feeling that I could do much more with ZBrush, but I don't know what and how... Any tips?

Also... how do I get the rest of the weaver model with original textures into my pics? Mdk created such nice looking pics of his axe shield, I want to do that, too!
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some updates to my pugna shoulders
    LOD0 and LOD1
    TaBEhD9.png
  • foxclover
    @polarbear: Looking good so far. I don't know anything about the programs you're using, but you could try looking at snowstorm's zbrush hair tutorial to learn more?

Meanwhile, I've been putting work down on the pony, and I've learned a few things.
    5NxwZZL.png
    cruel, cruel texture limits! The quality felt too low to me, so I rejiggered the uv space so the triangles on top have larger uvs, and the ones on the bottom of the tail are smaller. So while the uv island takes up the same amount of space, the results look much nicer.

I'm going to try doing sculpting on the tail for a normal map. Kind of a weird workflow, but I found it easier to plan out the tail in 2d first. >.<
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    foxclover wrote: »
    Meanwhile, I've been putting work down on the pony, and I've learned a few things.

cruel, cruel texture limits! The quality felt too low to me, so I rejiggered the uv space so the triangles on top have larger uvs, and the ones on the bottom of the tail are smaller. So while the uv island takes up the same amount of space, the results look much nicer.

I'm going to try doing sculpting on the tail for a normal map. Kind of a weird workflow, but I found it easier to plan out the tail in 2d first. >.<

No workflow is weird so long as it works :P Sounds like you're right on track with the UV thing. The black and white alone seems to clash a little with Kotl's colour scheme though, so I'm looking forward to seeing it with its armour piece.
  • Blender2Dota
    I started a collaboration piece with concept art from Bernoully. I've given up on sculpting for the moment - even after a really inspiring thread by Pior.

The UV is organized to make use of the animated lava/flame effect. You can't see it yet but I will try and get an in game video when it is more complete.

screen grab in Blender:
    u0kk.jpg

render in Marmoset:
    jqv7.jpg
    Here is an in game animation:
    97v.gif
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP pugna shoulder, comments :). I can only get better if other people can see mistakes I can't see....
    ROSeS9L.png
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    ----double---:shifty:
  • foxclover
    @Blender2Dota: it's looking good so far. Is there a reason why the third spike is behind the rest of the shield? The middle spike seems to get lost in the in-game view, you could consider making it a bit wider to give it more definition.
    No workflow is weird so long as it works :P Sounds like you're right on track with the UV thing. The black and white alone seems to clash a little with Kotl's colour scheme though, so I'm looking forward to seeing it with its armour piece.

Haha, I guess we'll have to see! This might turn out to be inefficient - I've already had to repaint the textures after relayouting the uv map. I'll try to keep the clashing colors in mind while painting the rest of this; I'm kind of worried that it won't fit kotl as a solo item, and would only work with an entire set. >.<
  • Blender2Dota
    I've already had to repaint the textures after relayouting the uv map.

Are you working in Blender? I can show you how to change UV layout and keep the same texture.