Home General Discussion

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare now has workshop support!

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
Torn Banner has just launched our SDK with Steam Workshop.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, the brutal first person slasher and Medieval multiplayer game has just released its SDK and integrated the Steam Workshop, allowing for custom community content. Its expansion, Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior will also launch (November 14th) with SDK and Steam Workshop integration. Right now the SDK is limited to custom maps, but support for code mods will be coming soon. We are super excited to see what the community can create and hope to see new maps breathing fresh air into the game.

Chivalry was made in Unreal Engine 3, which I'm sure plenty of you are familiar with, is relatively easy to use even if you are just getting into making games. Chivalry was born out of a mod for Half-Life 2 called Age of Chivalry, and we are very happy to be able to provide others with the ability to make their own maps and mods. This is a great way of showcasing your work, getting exposure, and making art for a functional game.

Feel free to reply with any questions here in the thread, or message me personally. Thanks for reading and I can't wait to see what you guys can do with the tools.
*EDIT 12/18/13*

Chivalry now has full support for mods with the steam workshop!

We are also planning a map contest with cash rewards, so stay tuned for more info on that.

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Oh god I hope somebody makes a crazy arena map with lots of boobytraps, i've been wanting something like that for ages!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Not sure how I feel, Chivalry MW was great but I feel like the deadliest warrior was a step in the wrong direction. And then this was a step in the right direction

Will still be cool to see what people come up with
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heyo frell, I remember you posting in the in the kickstarter thread here last year. I'm curious as to your feelings on deadliest warrior? Is it the increased movement/combat speed that turns you off?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Will you - or are you even able to - monetize the UCC coming in to your game?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darbeenbo wrote: »
    Heyo frell, I remember you posting in the in the kickstarter thread here last year. I'm curious as to your feelings on deadliest warrior? Is it the increased movement/combat speed that turns you off?
    No, nothing with the combat speed ever bothered me.

I felt the game lost some of its realistic element. I was hoping it'd stay Medieval as its my favorite time period... It Was just a really 'off' feeling to see warriors from different eras fighting like that. It feels messy.

Deadliest warrior just seems like a mortal combat/super smash brothers style release. It suddenly went from grim medieval combat to an arcade-esque arena game that doesn't look like its taken as seriously anymore.

To be honest a better delivery of Deadliest warrior would be to have 'themed' game modes. Only vikings, only spartans, only samurais etc with their corresponding maps. Like I said mixing them is just really messy
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    Will you - or are you even able to - monetize the UCC coming in to your game?

There is a possibility of it. We've talked about possibly running a contest similar to what Tripwire has done with Red Orchestra 2 or what Valve did with CS:GO's Operation Payback. We are very open to suggestion as to what we could do to generate more interest in the modding community for Chivalry.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Character Mods plz!!!

:D

gimme my character mods!!!
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Glad to see some new maps will become popular as a result of this. I love Chivalry but playing on the same handful of maps really bored me.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Frell, Deadliest Warrior is everything you're complaining about honestly. The whole point of the show and the game is to pit different time period fighters against each other. Plus I'm sure it helped Torn Banner get some nice funding to further production on their medieval based stuff. I'm all for smaller studios doing what they need to do to continue work on the projects we truely enjoy.

Glad to hear about the workshop! Looking forward to seeing what mapmakers and modders come up with. I want more weapons and castle siege type stuff, that's definitely my favorite part of Chivalry.
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrogg polycounter lvl 12
    I may jump into the SDK and make a map i have been wanting to see for some time now. Basically a large-scale castle siege, With a transition from the fields, to the town, to the castle but focusing more on the siege weapons.

Not too sure when i will get the chance to do this though, as I have some work to do for a client which takes priority over anything else..

Also Hello frell! I havn't seen you since I was a regular on Mopar :P
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Character Mods plz!!!

:D

gimme my character mods!!!

"They can make mods containing new characters..." - one of our programmers

I think that what you might be talking about is something like custom character skins to show off in official/vanilla servers?

That'd be pretty awesome.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    "They can make mods containing new characters..." - one of our programmers

I think that what you might be talking about is something like custom character skins to show off in official/vanilla servers?

That'd be pretty awesome.

I'm kind of confused about how the SDK works, we cant make new helmets and stuff to wear? or weapons? but if we make a new map we can populate it with NPCs that wear custom props?

Still awesome though! Can't wait to see what people come up with.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz wrote: »
    I'm kind of confused about how the SDK works, we cant make new helmets and stuff to wear? or weapons? but if we make a new map we can populate it with NPCs that wear custom props?

Still awesome though! Can't wait to see what people come up with.

Currently the SDK only supports custom maps, but we are working on full modding support allowing people to do pretty much whatever they want. Whether that is replacing character/weapon models, making new game modes in code, or doing a total conversion is up to the user.

Custom map servers show up as one color, and Modded servers will show up as another in the server browser making it easier to distinguish between the different types of custom content
  • Tekoa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoa polycounter lvl 4
    Can't wait to experiment with this!
  • CapableWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    This sounds awesome, I loved Chivalry (even though I was terrible!) and always thought it would be an amazing game to mod so I'm looking forward to future SDK's
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chivalry now has full support for mods with the Steam Workshop!

We are also planning a map contest with cash rewards, so stay tuned for more info on that.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    darbeenbo wrote: »
    There is a possibility of it. We've talked about possibly running a contest similar to what Tripwire has done with Red Orchestra 2 or what Valve did with CS:GO's Operation Payback. We are very open to suggestion as to what we could do to generate more interest in the modding community for Chivalry.

I think monetization is always a good move(unless its pay 2 win), gets the content to people that want it and helps people that are contributing.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think monetization is always a good move
    Says every developer who doesn't play games themselves

It's never a good idea. Even if its cosmetic, looking cooler is a very important part of progression. Ruining this part of the game creates a very gimmicky feel, starts to feel like a game with a shopping mall built in.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted to pop in here and let people know that the SDK for Deadliest Warrior is now available as well. We've also implemented some more features in the game to make custom content (maps,mods, etc.) much more accessible for both custom content players and creators.

For map creators/modders there is now a workshop upload tool that makes cooking your SDK maps and workshop uploading a much more streamlined process. Uploading is now as simple as pressing a few buttons. A shortcut to the SDK is also exposed in the game launcher.

image2014-1-31%2012%3A15%3A25.png?version=1&modificationDate=1391188526278&api=v2

New workshop landing page!
    Updated Chivalry SDK Wiki! - WIP, so please ask any questions or make suggestions about clarification

We'll also have some exciting news very much related to this stuff pretty soon. :D