Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fallout 3 Corner Room Scene

Hi guys

I am a second year uni student and this is a project we were given to create a corner of a room.

I chose pay homage to fallout 3, which I think has some fantastic geometry to recreate!

look forward to some crit as I need to step up my game :)

LuqHOAq.jpg
here is quick mood board looking at some of the more interesting shapes and objects fallout interiors have to offer

nNnt77Q.jpg
AO render 1

yY7f1aI.jpg

Replies

• JasonSpencer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PzCoQfn.jpg

i4T87Ez.jpg

Textures added!!!!

Need to touch them up a bit in photoshop, especially the metal support beams. I also want to add some more details to break up the scene, therefore I am going to add sheets of paper to the desks and floor and possibly some graffiti to the walls!

then I need to create the lights and the projection!
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    My main critique is that your scene looks even more low res then the already low res and dated looking original. I understand that as a second year student you might not have the skills yet to do it better. Hence i think it would have been a better idea to create something new. Your work will be judged against the original.
    With that said it also appears to be a bit of a cheap way out to just recreate something.
    I would reinterpret the scene if i was you not just copy it 1:1. Change the arrangement of the props, create some new ones in the same style that are not in the original. Maybe try to create the room how it looked when it was brand new or make it a rusty mess from 100 years later. Just some ideas.
  • JasonSpencer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi thanks for the crit, I do mean to add a lot more dirt and clutter and redo a few of the textures.

For the project we had to pick a game or film and make the scene otherwise I would have designed something myself but I do see what you mean and I will mix it up a bit!
  • JasonSpencer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final post!! I've really enjoyed this and learnt a lot which I can take forward and make better scenes!! I will most likely revisit this scene in my own time at have a second crack at it!!

EH6urAk.jpg

NUsWI1D.jpg

gxxPk0Q.jpg

ptwnzW6.jpg
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    You have way too much geometry for simple objects. The wireframes show you have so many wasted vetices on flat surfaces like the desks. Fine a game where you can turn wireframe on or look through threads here on polycount to get an idea of what a low-poly should look like. You shouldn't really have any geometry that doesn't change the silhouette of the object, at least not until you understand how extra geo can help optimisation in other areas.

I'd really recommend looking at tutorials that go through the whole game-asset process from start to finish. I usually recommend these two:

Millenia's shotgun tutorial

Joe Harford's tracker knife tutorial.
  • foredea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good work, Jason.
    I agree with Bek. If I were you, I might use polygons for 3D silhouette. If the polygons don't change the silhouette, don't hasitate to delete it. :)
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, how many polys does that scene actually contain? As other have said if the polygons don't contribute to the silhouette or improve the smoothing remove them.

Also don't accentuate every edge all the way as that just looks absolutely horrible. At least try to break up that damage to make it less homogenous and try to concentrate it more towards convex corners and other more exposed areas.