Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted Lionmouth sword

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
10643744756_c9ea2b81d0_c.jpg

Would like some feedback on my latest piece of work.

I've used this workflow a few times, creating a high poly and baking out a normal and ambient occlusion and using the ambient occlusion as a guide to hand paint.

I do use a specular map as well which I haven't done it yet for this.

I know its probably not considered as a pure hand painted model but my influence (Darksiders 2) appear to have a similar workflow.

Thanks.

Replies

• JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    Just decided its not good enough, going to do it again.
  • CarlK3D
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    I thought it looked good, but its good to see you have a very high standard of work to want to just do it again.
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers fella. I think I've rushed it to be honest. The texture only took 4 hours or less to do.

Gone back and decided to lower the AO so I can allow the actual texture to take most of the detail.
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    I think the main problem is that the blade looks like it's made out of stone. Working on the reflection and specular should help making it looks more like metal (dark diffuse but bright specular). Same for the golden parts, the diffuse should be dark brown and the specular should be light yellow/gold.
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    @Popol-Thanks for that, I'll apply all that to the newer version.
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture update, pretty much deleted the old one. Also started using a new shader.

10692005345_2b2ed63532_c.jpg

Still lots of room for improvement. Just going to keep deleting bits and doing them again until I've got it just right.
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    10704325785_8ce863b7ee_z.jpg

10704583123_24ced6579a_z.jpg

Just bits I particular like that I think will stay but I would like some opinions on it. Anything you think I could add or change?

Very tempted to change a few things to the overall end product and end up with a 100% hand painted model rather than hand painted texture with conjunction with a normal and spec.
  • Chris Krüger
    This is a good start. Overall i think you should work at bit more on the design itself. Push the design a bit, larger shapes, a more defined silhouette. For the texture, push it, work on your material definition. Use a wider spectrum of values. Hope it helps :)
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a good start. Overall i think you should work at bit more on the design itself. Push the design a bit, larger shapes, a more defined silhouette. For the texture, push it, work on your material definition. Use a wider spectrum of values. Hope it helps :)

Thanks Chris Krüger, the design has actually evolved a lot since the first concept, got a lot of help from an old University pal currently working for a small company. The sheet below shows the progression of the concept.

10706109636_c0b2366a9c_z.jpg

Seeing as I have got this far with the design I'm rather reluctant to have to retop again, unwrap and bake again. Wanting this finished ideally by the 15th.

Material definition is obviously a big one for me so I have been looking at other hand painted textures to get an idea how this is done. From what I've seen its like what you've already said its the values that really help push that definition.
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    More work on it, like to think I'm almost finished.

Added a specular map to the mix.

If I am I need to make the textures smaller, they're currently at 2048.

Just wanted to get some last minute feedback before I call this project done.

10713129234_74226b1458_c.jpg
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    10732583545_81ee2b9dfc_c.jpg

10732884743_3c41aa2c66_c.jpg

Decided to finish this instead of just procrastinating, I want to move on to something however if anyone notices anything let me know.

Thanks.
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    I've actually noticed that the preview of the high res model is missing teeth. Its been a long day.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looks cool, but since you asked for critque here it goes...

There is significant stretching in the guard above the grip. Did you planner map this or projection paint this or something? That beauty shot makes that error very obvious.

What's up with the normals and ao? I thought this was hand painted... did you have a highpoly? If you have normals on it, you can't really tell with the lighting you are using.

Personally, I think you should avoid normals when doing handpainted stuff. The handpainted stuff competes with the normals and they usually don't blend all that well together. That's my personal opinion though.

As Chris Krüger said, the main thing to work on though is the major forms. Just make them larger and more dynamic. First Keeper and JFletcher are both really good at these, check here for reference: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98160
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69702&page=7

oh yea, and avoid black lines. You can get dark, but not 100percent black. Looks like you are using lots of black lines there.
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool, but since you asked for critque here it goes...

There is significant stretching in the guard above the grip. Did you planner map this or projection paint this or something? That beauty shot makes that error very obvious.

I used planar and then pelt mapped it in 3ds max. I havent noticed the error until now. Thanks.
    What's up with the normals and ao? I thought this was hand painted... did you have a highpoly? If you have normals on it, you can't really tell with the lighting you are using.....

Personally, I think you should avoid normals when doing handpainted stuff. The handpainted stuff competes with the normals and they usually don't blend all that well together. That's my personal opinion though.

I did make a high poly. I was toying with the idea of not using the normal map but went back to it. But if its not noticeable I may not use it then. Thanks.

oh yea, and avoid black lines. You can get dark, but not 100percent black. Looks like you are using lots of black lines there.

Ok thanks for that. I'm calling a night for now seeing as I gotta be up in 6 hours. But tomorrow will taking everything you've pointed out and making the adjustments.

Thanks.
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd just do a very quick run down of some experiments I've done. Honestly think I could do a bit more tweaking but I've been a complete idiot and been staying up late burning that candle at both ends.

10745637816_d753f585d7_c.jpg

I know I've had both BradMyers82 and Chris Krüger say to change the design and experiment more with the silhouette but with my deadline being next week (even though this is just a portfolio piece) I'm just going to work with what I have and aim to have a good textured weapon.

However with this being said the next weapon I do I plan to show the concepts before doing any of the 3d getting more of an opinion on the design so I dont end up in this similar situation.

Before I crash out just going to add more to the diffuse and adjust the spec.

Think I'm just going to render with no normal.

Those links BradMyers82 posted were really useful and something I'm going to study before the next project. It will see me till the end of the year.

Lastly BradMyers82 I couldn't really find the stretching so could you just circle what you, I think I have an idea where you're saying.
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    10785307543_ec83fe65e5_b.jpg

10785074866_0c9ee2da7a_c.jpg

Taking everything I've learnt with this one and moving on. I understand the design, silhouette ect could be tweaked but I'm going to take those crits and apply it to the next one.

Going to make a sketch thread I think so I'll post a link in this thread once that's done and you can all guide me with the concept.

Thanks.