Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Panther Vehicle - Improving modeling and texturing skills

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sugus polycounter lvl 7
Current Stage:

kk6q.jpg

Hello fellow polycounters.

I’m currently in my 3rd year at University set to graduate in May 2014. I’ve started building a portfolio to hopefully join the industry as an Environment Artist.

I received some very positive critique about my old portfolio. Amongst the comments was that I had to improve my modelling and texturing skills. I thought that by doing a nice vehicle I could show both.

I saw this badass concept by Fightpunch and decided to give it a go (the concept has a few blindspots so I filled them im with reference from Military Vehicles etc)

Here’s where I’m at at the moment. The high poly is almost done, here's what needs to be done:
- Take the wheels into ZBrush and make a more accentuated tire.
- Sculpt some bits
- Add something to the rear part of the vehicle, sort of stuck here.

At the same time I have to move on to low poly to meet deadlines etc.

I apologise for the screengrabs, I’ll get round rendering as soon as possible.

hkkr.jpg

For Higher Resolution click here

Thanks everyone, critique and comments more than welcome and appreciated! 

Replies

• Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I actually think this is a really solid High Poly, especially as only 3rd year Uni work. Nice job so far man. Like you said, the tires still need some work, right now they are just far far to smooth to get any sort of traction. Even if the tires were a rubber texture, they are near F1 style "flat" tread, made for heating up at top speeds and made for flat surfaces. This seems like a very off-road centralized vehicle. It would benefit TONs to have a much more traction based tire on there, and that might even be worth deviating from the concept to achieve that. It looks great in concept, but when comes to actual "real-life application", they just are super out of place.

As for the rear, the rear could use some large exhaust pipes or something, something to break up the large body frame shapes and the small details. Get some sort of external, medium sized, details going on to break it all up. Nothing crazy, because I personally feel the rear is pretty awesome. Maybe have the exhaust pipes coming off the side or the middle of the back? IDK, its an off road-ing vehicle, got to think about the conditions it will be in, such as water. Just some ideas and basic critique, nice clean work. It is a little mushy, in terms of beveling, but for the bake it should be fine with a solid diffuse and spec.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Add3r wrote: »
    I actually think this is a really solid High Poly, especially as only 3rd year Uni work. Nice job so far man. Like you said, the tires still need some work, right now they are just far far to smooth to get any sort of traction. Even if the tires were a rubber texture, they are near F1 style "flat" tread, made for heating up at top speeds and made for flat surfaces. This seems like a very off-road centralized vehicle. It would benefit TONs to have a much more traction based tire on there, and that might even be worth deviating from the concept to achieve that. It looks great in concept, but when comes to actual "real-life application", they just are super out of place.

As for the rear, the rear could use some large exhaust pipes or something, something to break up the large body frame shapes and the small details. Get some sort of external, medium sized, details going on to break it all up. Nothing crazy, because I personally feel the rear is pretty awesome. Maybe have the exhaust pipes coming off the side or the middle of the back? IDK, its an off road-ing vehicle, got to think about the conditions it will be in, such as water. Just some ideas and basic critique, nice clean work. It is a little mushy, in terms of beveling, but for the bake it should be fine with a solid diffuse and spec.

I totally agree with what you said, once I have a low poly + unwrap i will take the high poly into ZBrush and use radial symmetry to get some nice tires in there!

Deffinately need to add someting to the back to break the flatness of the silhouette. Will do some more research and see what i could add that makes sense (the wheels are too big to be added there).

Thanks for the input, very solid feedback! :)

High Poly Render:

kk6q.jpg

Higher Res here

Will get round rendering the other angles soon!
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    The Panther looks great, I think you can do a few things to polish it off. The concept has dings and dents, add those in Zbrush. The flood lights look too perfectly linear maybe offset a few of them. The whole object is metal use different materials for the different pieces rubber, fabric glass etc.
    Look forward to seeing more.
    -Lee
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    looprix wrote: »
    The Panther looks great, I think you can do a few things to polish it off. The concept has dings and dents, add those in Zbrush. The flood lights look too perfectly linear maybe offset a few of them. The whole object is metal use different materials for the different pieces rubber, fabric glass etc.
    Look forward to seeing more.
    -Lee

Hi Lee,

I totally agree with you. My idea is to continue as follows: Make a low poly, unwrap it, sculpt certain parts of the high poly and then bake. I think it'll be easier for me to keep track of what has to be done etc (I plan on baking individually and then combining the maps to get less problems).

I probably should've thought about the material setup before rendering, If i have time in the future (which i should probably do at some point), i'll revisit the model and assign a variety of materials.

Thanks for your comments, very constructive! :)

Here are the remaining renders:

cjbe.jpg

jmdt.jpg

Higher Res versions here: Panther

I will now start making the Low Poly, then unwrap, bake and texture!
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Just saw this for the first time, sorry if I'm a bit late with this/to late to change things.
    A bit of a long post, and I don't mean it's bad, just some things that I personally dislike if the goal was sticking to the concept.

Overall I think you are kind of missing the overall feel off the car.
    The concept feels more sleek and angular while yours feels almost stylized/more cartoony in a way.

The proportions overall seem more flat (on the z-axis) and a little longer.
    http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5585/nkiv.jpg

For example the more triangular flat shapes on the front, or the way the front of the car is constructed.
    And also a lot of smaller things, such as the long triangle on the top right of the front wheel.
    The part that is numbered 6.
    Or the wheels coming out further, and the back wheel a bit more then the front, those things just add to the overall feeling off the car.

You have also added a lot of bolts wich seem a bit out of proportion, they are just thick circles.

Or number 3 for example wich starts of flat, has a nice flow to it and slightly tapers in towards the car, the shape is off, and you also added these random bits wich don't feel really wich kinda "destroy" the original feel.

5) yours is almost a normal hexagon, while the concept, the bottom edges are smaller, the top ones longer, and taper in towards the top.

And together with that, and this is just personal opinion, I kind of dislike the extra parts you added.
    4 got changed to a very simple scope/tube, you have the laser targetting on the roof that fits in with that sort of near future, while in yours you have these very old/classic lights on the top
    The wheels, I would imagine these being a sort of hubless wheel with the center part driving the whole thing, this is ofcourse my interpretation, but in your model, I am kind of missing how it would work, it feels a bit like a bunch of primitive shapes put together.
    Same with the front lights.
  • srivignesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    srivignesh polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good, can you post Wireframe and polycount of this model?

Please add some chromatic aberration and also add some different material for small details, like dark materials.
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    Nice! you could try throwing it in a key shot trial or something to test out some different materials
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Joeriv: It’s never too late to change stuff around! I thank you for your comments, all of them are very valid and helpfull.

The thing is I didn’t stick 100% to the concept. From it I kind of took the following things: the motivation to do a vehicle, the gun, side of the car and bonet. Wherever there was a blind spot in the concept I researched military vehicles (see humvee’s and all that) and decided to adapt the concept to make it more Humvee-esque. There’s a few reasons for this: If I simply added Humvee parts to the vehicle it was going to look odd, since Fightpunch’s concept is more of a futuristic vehicle, and humvee’s are more current.

The concept also represents a very low car which would most likely not be able to circulate in very rough terrain. On the side note, I’m also using this vehicle to enter the UCIII competition, so some changes had to be made to suit the art challenge.

As for the wheels, I mentioned in the first post that they’re just placeholders. When I give the vehicle a Zbrush pass I’ll properly get the tire detail in.

I appreciate your comments and I’ve taken good note of them. I’ll revise everything you said and modify some bits (I agree with 5, will be changing that)

Thanks again!

@Srivignesh: Yes, I’ll render out some wireframes when I have some spare time. As for the polycount, it’s roughly around 1.5 million when smoothed?
    I agree with the material thing, it’s on the list of things to do for when I re-render.

@Kaz: I’ve heard good things about Keyshot, probably will give it a go at some point!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Hi guys, I’ve started doing the low poly version of the vehicle and I ran into something where I’m not sure what would be the best option, here’s a screen below:

khbn.jpg

The first image is the object that needs to be low poly. My doubt is wether I should do Option 1 or Option 2 (basically make the whole thing as one piece or have the cylinder as a separate piece)

Reasons for each:

Option1:
    - Having red and green as separate will probably make for an easier bake.
    - Downside is that it will need a bit more UV space

Option 2:
    - Will use less UV space
    - Denser mesh, maybe harder to bake which could lead to dodgy normal maps.

I would like to hear what everyone thinks regarding this aspect.

Thanks in advance!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    I'm back with the low poly!

Started it, sometimes modeling again from scratch and other times salvaging from the high poly. It currently sits at 12.5k, aiming at something around 30-50k (I will most likely be doing some LOD'ing).

At the moment the geometry is not very optimized, this pass shall come last i think.

s752.jpg

C&C welcome :)
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't know if you're still looking for input on that piece but I would go with option 2, you might have to do a few different normal/AO passes but when you're working on a model with a lot of overlapping stuff it really does add up and save a lot of UV space. Good work so far, I agree with joeriv that the concept is definitely sleeker/flatter, but the highpoly is pretty good taken on its own. Good start on the lowpoly, though I usually optimize geo as I go, I find it saves time. Keep it up!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Chandler wrote: »
    Don't know if you're still looking for input on that piece but I would go with option 2, you might have to do a few different normal/AO passes but when you're working on a model with a lot of overlapping stuff it really does add up and save a lot of UV space. Good work so far, I agree with joeriv that the concept is definitely sleeker/flatter, but the highpoly is pretty good taken on its own. Good start on the lowpoly, though I usually optimize geo as I go, I find it saves time. Keep it up!

@Chandler: Thanks for the input. I ended up going (for now) with option 1. I've spotted i few places where i could re-use the green mesh so i'm going to roll with that. If it comes to a point where i actually do need to get as much texture space as possible i'll switch to option 2.

I do agree my model is rather different to the concept, but I'm glad you think the High Poly works on it's own :)

The reason for not optimizing as a go atm is that i'm just blocking out the low poly, i might add a few bevels here and there once the first pass is done. If i optimize the edge flow might change and itll make it a bit trickier to add bevels.

Thanks for the input, i'll update with more soon, other uni projects have kept me busy :/
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Finished the first pass of the low poly, currently sitting at 33k with an optimisation pass done. Will probably revisit the model again to see if I can cut it down a bit more.

mcrv.jpg

Crit and comments welcome!

On to UV'ing :D
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    you went overboard with the polies mate, you are modeling stuff that was meant to be faked with the normal map, to the point you wont benefit from it at all , this is a vehicle that honestly wouldnt need more than 8k to 10k tris at most imo , even with interior modeled , i know nowadays polycount isnt an issue, but you could use the HP to your favor and let the normal map do its job ;)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    you went overboard with the polies mate, you are modeling stuff that was meant to be faked with the normal map, to the point you wont benefit from it at all , this is a vehicle that honestly wouldnt need more than 8k to 10k tris at most imo , even with interior modeled , i know nowadays polycount isnt an issue, but you could use the HP to your favor and let the normal map do its job ;)

Hi Joao! Thanks for the comments, I do think in some places I might have gone over the top a little bit. However there's a few reasons for which I've gone so high poly with this. Here they are:

- There’s quite a few cylindrical objects in the scene: wheels, tubes, headlights, turret, exhaust pipe. All these objects require a lot of geometry to keep a nice and smooth silhouette. I’ve been told in the past that I should be spending a lot more polygons on rounded objects. I kind of stuck with that and ensured the round objects in the car had enough polygons to keep the roundness shape.

- UVing. I’m going to try and put all of the vehicle into one 2k texture map. I’ve bevelled a lot of the edges so that when it comes to UVing I don’t have to have a split edge, which would lead to a lot more UV islands and I would end up using a lot of UV space. By having the bevelled edges I won’t be needing to split edges and will end up with more UV space (there’s quite a few pieces to this car as it is)

- Having several LOD’s. I’m working towards a very high res vehicle, but I do intend to then make a few LOD’s out of it. I mean, surely if im playing a game and I come very close to a vehicle, the last thing I want to see is razor sharp edges.

- Not done optimising, hopefully I can bring it down.

I’m not saying my reasons are correct, but what I just wrote was my thinking process. I still have to UV and bake this, maybe once I start doing that I modify the low poly etc.

I’d like to see what everyone thinks about my points, are they sensible and logic? Or have I gone completely nuts hehe?

Thanks polycount!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    "- There’s quite a few cylindrical objects in the scene: wheels, tubes, headlights, turret, exhaust pipe. All these objects require a lot of geometry to keep a nice and smooth silhouette. I’ve been told in the past that I should be spending a lot more polygons on rounded objects. I kind of stuck with that and ensured the round objects in the car had enough polygons to keep the roundness shape."

the thing is , its a pretty boxy looking model and the only areas that imo deserve some more polies might be the wheels.

"UVing. I’m going to try and put all of the vehicle into one 2k texture map. I’ve bevelled a lot of the edges so that when it comes to UVing I don’t have to have a split edge, which would lead to a lot more UV islands and I would end up using a lot of UV space. By having the bevelled edges I won’t be needing to split edges and will end up with more UV space (there’s quite a few pieces to this car as it is)"

Im sorry , but i had to re-read this sentence to believe what i was reading, i think you should re read the thread on technical talk about it.

the thing is ... its a pretty boxy model , and you are trying to justify polywaste , i didnt even see the wireframe and i can see loads of areas that i bet have tons of tris that contribute to the silhouette at all mate :(

Good luck
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Joao: I've been re-reading (I had already done so but I had obviously forgotten key aspects) the sticky tech talk threads where all this has been discussed before and I must say I, taking a step back and looking at my model, that I have probably added a few more polygons where I shouldnt have.

I realised aswell that when it comes to unwrapping there's going to be a seam somewhere, so might aswell make that edge a hard edge and save a few polys and let the normal map do it's job, like you said,Joao.

I'll be revising the model and reducing all unnecessary beveling, see where i can take this model to.

Thanks for the critique, has been very helpful! :)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Haven't had a lot of time to work on this, but i've managed to take the model down to 28k. Still a lot of optimisation to do, specially on the AMMO boxes (atm they're too much).

8o5y.jpg

Probably won't be able to tell difference but the reduction of polys is there. Ideally I want to bring this down to 20k for the Unearthly Challenge competition, but we'll see :/
  • benc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stick up some wires and I'm sure people will be able to help with a few suggestions for the optimisation :)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Benc: Yeah, you're right, don't know what I was thinking. Here are some shots of the model with wireframe:

High Res shot where you can actually see stuff: http://i.imgur.com/wWpMZAx.jpg

(ImageShack isn't the best >.< )

7mut.jpg

And I've gone ahead and UV'ed the car, here's the result (might move things around, but i'm sort of happy with how it came out)

4tia.jpg

I hope i've left engouh space in between uv islands. Some are really tight but one way or another i'll make this work!

The purple is due to mirroring in the low poly.

On to baking!
  • benc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really quick paint over of a few areas. I think your main issues is all the cylinders and bevels. No matter how much you save on the main "body" they are always going to be munching the poly count. Do you have a target your aiming for?
    I'm sure if you removed even a few of the divisions in some of the cylinders you'd see a big saving, the only issue being if you don't decided to remove ever other edge loop, your going to need to re model them to keep them even :(

Sorry if some of these are just ones you haven't got round to doing yet, but hopefully it will help a bit!

edit: Just seen your aiming for 20k, you'd get there easy with by taking out some of the cylinder divisions, look at the front bull bar and the larger exhaust. Also remember if you can save 100 poly on a wheel that adds up to 400 across all 4 so worth a try!

edit 2 !: Also look at the side step bits, could you change the design slightly so they are half circles going to a flat edge under the vehicle, would knock of a chunk of polys I would think.
    Cheers

IFZkmmM.jpg
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Benc: Thank you very much for taking the time to do that paintover. I agree with the cylinder issue, they are taking quite a lot of polys in there.

I also just realised that what’s taking most of my polycount at the moment are the AMMO boxes, so I’ll deffinately be simplyfing a lot those (at the moment overall they are 5k, which, realising they’re simply boxes, seems too much).

As for the purple things you mentioned should be in the bake. The reason I kept them as geometry is because I’m going to be re-using them somewhere else in the vehicle. Also some stuff is mirrored in the car so having that kind of objects placed on one side but not the other will break up the repetition.

As for the car itself, it now stands at 19,5k, which gives me room for 500 polygons for the AMMO boxes which should be fine hopefully. This way I can stick to the 20k the Unearthly Challenge dictates.

Unfortunately I saw Benc’s suggestions after I had done the bake for the vehicle, here is the normal map:

szxh.jpg

And here is what it looks like when applied to the low poly vehicle:

High Res Screenshot here: http://i.imgur.com/wn9eS8G.jpg

obc4.jpg

I’ve noticed there’s a few issues with the bake, which I’ve written down in a list and will start working on them asap (if anyone else spots anything not mentioned please do say so)

- On the Door Platform the normal map becomes jagged
    - Same with the turret mount
    - The door hinge/cylinder didn’t bake down properly
    - Nasty stuff happening where the front window meets the side window
    - Rear part – The handle type things haven’t baked properly nor have the bolts in the piece underneath the rear part.
    - Part of the Exhaust pipe detail isn’t showing
    - Some bolts in the bonnet haven’t baked or have baked flipped.

These seem to be easy fixes as they pretty much have to do with the cage. If I still can’t get them right after I few tries it might just be easier to paint out in photoshop.

Thanks everyone, quite happy with how things are going with this.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Update on the diffuse. Started blocking out some colours and exploring where i want to take this model.

I'm thinking about having it snow-type vehicle as oposed to desert.

HighRes: http://i.imgur.com/I9McTd7.jpg

tz0i.jpg

Crits, comments and suggestions as to what I could do to the vehicle are welcome! I'm interested in seeing what people can think off.

Thanks!
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    That diffuse looks bad ass and the bake looks like it came out great :)
  • Zinco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zinco polycounter lvl 3
    This is looking so good!! Cannot wait to see it finished! Update!
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    This is coming along nicely.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @A-N-P: Thanks buddy, just exploring with some ideas of what I could potentially do with it :). As for the bake, I had to re-do certain bits and fiddle here and there to get it working right, but overall i'm pretty happy with how it came out :D

@Zinco: Thanks for the support, i'll keep updating :)

@Neil: Thanks, I won't disappoint, i'll make this look good :D

Here's a bit more on the diffuse. Still blocking colours really, hard to get the perfect balance between dark and light tones, but i'm getting there.

Added another colour to the camo stripes, not sure if I should make the marks bigger to avoid having a very noisy texture, or if I should proceed how it is. Suggestions?

Once I'm happy with the colour i'll start adding scratches, mud etc...

High Res Version: http://i.imgur.com/oVV38bg.jpg

qheg.jpg

Crits, comments and suggestions more than welcome!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Hi everyone! Been working a bit more on the vehicle, moved into UDK now and set up an initial shader. At the moment I only have the diffuse map so there's absolutely no material definition here (will be moving on to spec and gloss now)

But anyway, here's an update :)

CNfzlm7.jpg

(Scratches are very strong atm just so that i can see where they're going. They;ll be mainly in the specular pass, rather than the diffuse)
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking great but my only real crit right now is the tires. For snow use they are looking kind of worthless. Remember that in real snowy areas, people put chains/studs on tires so they can actually traverse the ice and stuff. I would push those treads out way further or add some kind of studs to them. Diffuse looks awesome and so does the model in general.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Spectre: I totally agree! I think the reason I initially didn’t include any chains/studs is because they reduce the speed of the vehicle wearing them. But then again there’s no point in speeding if you can’t control the car hehe. Most likely on my next modelling pass I’ll get some nice chains in there that will help sell the tires, thanks for pointing it out! :)

For the meantime I’ve been experimenting with Tesselation to get the tires to pop out a bit more. I’ve managed to get the pop out, but I’ve come across problems.

Here’s what’s happening:

3hOIQcc.jpg
    And here’s the setup:

lbbPH70.jpg

There’s nothing too fancy in the setup, or the texture itself. Where I drew the red line there’s also a Hard Edge (not sure if that could be the problem)

Thanks polycount!
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Do you have a smoothing split in the problem area? If you do then that causes the normals of the two different areas to point in different directions which results in the split (as displacement maps just move geometry along the normal). To fix this you could re-unwrap the wheel so that the UVs encompass the whole wheel with no splitting or displacement at the seams. I have never used them but vector displacement maps should be a possible workaround as well (they move geometry along a specified vector instead of just the normal), but they are supposedly more difficult to work with (I've heard you need to unwrap both the highpoly and lowpoly identically, could be wrong though).

Otherwise I think the model looks great but the material definition could be improved (especially the tires, way too shiny). The normalmap looks a bit off in the UDK shot as well, which I'd guess is because of either compression or unsynched tangents (the normalmap you posted looked fine though). I'd re-bake the tire pattern with some bigger bevels (like this) as they will look a lot better. You could also try to bake the tires flat as you would then get no projection issues like you currently have on them, where instead they would all look the same.

All in all I'd say it's coming along nicely, so keep up the good work.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Nosslak: Thanks for the reply. With smoothing split (which I assume is a 3DS Max term) I guess you mean a hard edge (Maya hehe). Yes, I do happen to have one of those. Due to the nature of the Unearthly Challenge, I had to limit the poly count to 20k, and having a smooth edge in the wheel would’ve meant a lot of polys. However, now the challenge is finished, so I’m just going to make it look pretty - Reunwrap/add polygons (if needed) and then hopefully itll work!

I totally agree with the material definition. It’s something I’ve struggled with in the past and that I really want to get working properly in this project.

As for the wheels. I wanted to get some good information there and tried to sculpt them in ZBrush (radial symmetry + drag down with an alpha of the pattern) but it sort of killed the curvature of the wheel and didn’t come out great. I guess what you suggest is the way forward, bake a flat tire and then combine the detail information with the normal map of the smooth wheel to get the curvature normal map too?

Thanks for the positive feedback!

I realised I hadn’t shared what I submitted for the Unearthly Challenge, here are a few shots (I couldn’t update them, so the shots shown don’t have Nosslak’s critique applied)

Beauty Shot:

82C5VPn.jpg

Textures:

X14M1zi.jpg

Wireframe:

clfJjHX.jpg

Unfortunately im going to have to put this project temporarily on hold, Uni deadlines require I move forward. I'll come back to this roughly in christmas time (yep, no christmas for me :D ) and polish polish polish until it's worthy of being called "Portfolio piece".

Thanks!
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Looks nice, but I can see some places that could be improved:
    - The camoflage pattern would probably be painted with paints of similar properties which means that the spec and gloss between the different colors shouldn't differ a lot (most of the difference should be in the diffuse, only small if any difference in the others).
    - It's hard to differentiate what is supposed to be bare metal and what is not. I'd use a darker diffuse with a bright specular and gloss for those parts.
    - The glass need a lot more grunge and dust as they're spotless when the rest is very dirty. The footstand could use some more grunge as well.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    I see what you mean about the paint! I was thinking something along the lines of one paint had been applied recently and therefore the properties changed a bit. I think i will be making them more even and such.

Agreed on the diffuse issue. I was having trouble to see the spec come out because the diffuse was very bright, will be darkening that and let the specular/gloss be more visible.

Thanks for your feedback Nosslak, much appreciated!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Had to try my vehicle in the new Marmoset Toolbag, so glad I bought this.

This is the result after roughly an hour. I will most likely be using this to render my vehicle. I haven't had chance to work on the textures yet, i shall be doing that over christmas.

P6g5E9H.jpg

Thanks!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Hi everyone.

I finally have some spare time to come back to my vehicle, which I had to leave on hold.

I still need to work mroe on the textures and add some decals here and there. The AMMO boxes are yet to be textured and I'm currently thinking what i could add to improve the presentation (might have some ammo boxes on the floor next to the vehicle). Rotating one of the wheels is also on the list of things to do.

Spent a bit more time dabbling with Marmo, i have a good feeling about it :D

pIXrkmo.jpg

Crits and comments more than welcome, thanks!
  • jamiemurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jamiemurphy polycounter lvl 8
    It is looking good, I like it. I think it would benefit from sitting on an interesting gravelly surface, nothing too distracting. Have you thought about having some of the lights on? This will help give contrast to the final presentation.

Try some different angles and dof’s, I think it would look more interesting from a higher angle.

Keep experimenting, good luck
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    It is looking good, I like it. I think it would benefit from sitting on an interesting gravelly surface, nothing too distracting. Have you thought about having some of the lights on? This will help give contrast to the final presentation.

Try some different angles and dof’s, I think it would look more interesting from a higher angle.

Keep experimenting, good luck

Thanks buddy. I agree with something not too distracting. I did try with the lights on (quick experiment) but it didn't work very well, i might have to spend some good time to see if i can get it to work.

Ill deffinately experiment with those too, see what i can come up with.

Will update soon, dissertation is taking some time away from me :/
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    jealous of those bakes man, they look great!

Also, wouldn't there be snow in the crevices on the wheels? (horrible at terminology)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    SaboR1996 wrote: »
    jealous of those bakes man, they look great!

Also, wouldn't there be snow in the crevices on the wheels? (horrible at terminology)

Thanks! I'm happy to with how they came out. All the hard effort put into the high poly was worth it hehe.

Not exactly what you mean? :/

Update:

I've been busy with my dissertation stuff but here's a quick update with how I plan on presenting my vehicle.

pk1rbKm.jpg

U2fSA4E.jpg

3jv2IK1.jpg

SU6gAzv.jpg

My doubts are wether I should have a different platform. The one i have at the moment is simple but doesn't distract too much the attention from the vehicle, and i'm worried that maybe adding loads of stuff will make it "noisy".

I'd love to hear what more experienced people think about this.

Many thanks!
  • dvisionvoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dvisionvoid polycounter lvl 6
    Great job Sugus! I'll keep an eye on this! ;)
    May be you can put some rocks on the platform, but let the experienced people give their opinion
  • tarickTDS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly the term i was going for ... Bad Ass! very sweet mate!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Dvisionvoid: Thanks buddy! I was speaking to some friends and most likely ill be doing some sort of rocky/snowy platform. Nothing too over the top, simple. Hopefully it will ground the car a bit more :)

tarickTDS: Thanks for the support! :)

Updates very soon!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Made the Platform for the vehicle, here it is:

5M80wIh.jpg

odaRulP.jpg

Tried to keep it simple and not too distracting.

Thanks