Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Savage Model 110 BA

Hi there, I'm working on a new weapon model. I hope you like and leave comments if you like =)

QL1Cnq2.jpg
qLcqrTz.jpg

Replies

• jerom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my low poly model. I have +- 6700 tris ont this weapon. I was wondering if this is a good amount or still to high ?

fYkXnWY.jpg
    46JL7nI.jpg
    CaERxWq.jpg

feel free to comment :D
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Highpoly looks good but really sharp at some places
    Your polycount is rather too low than to high. Your Scope has 8 sides, thats nothing. People would see your scope stretched all over the screen, and having 8 sides is clearly not enough by far.

I dont know your intentions, for a browser FPS 6k should be about fine, if you aim for current standards, around 12-15k is this generation of AAA, next generation is around double, but a bit over 10k should do fine for that shape.

You used a lot on geometry on your muzzle, but thats actually the thing that needs the least (expept you are going for portfolio usage), the scope area needs the most.

http://gamertherapist.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/cod-sniper.jpg
    The scope has 20 or 24 sides, and its a couple years old now, always aim for the future! : P
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    On top of what Shrike said that scope is not going to bake well at all. You are going to get all kinds of waviness and artifacts because of how different your lowpoly and highpoly are in that area.
  • Tim270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    Buttstock, pistolgrip and muzzle are all areas you can cut quite a bit, then put those tris back into the Scope. It is a key feature in FPV and really needs to have a lot of edges to sell it being cylindrical.

Baking the rails could also be a option if you need to cut tris. Take a shot from the First Person View also.
  • jerom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments. Really appriecate it :D
    Never tought that I need more tris instead of less.
  • jerom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm now at +-8500 tris. Put a lot of them in the scope.

2oW99mR.jpg
    70qM9ZV.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The muzzle break still seems to have too many of your polygons; keep in mind that it's the most distant part of the model in FPS view.

The layout of the polygons for the scope lens really doesn't make much sense. A standard disc layout would use fewer polygons and allow you to actually model the subtle concave surface for the glass.

The screws connecting the mount to the scope are MUCH too long.
    savage_model_110_ba-tfb.jpg
  • jerom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the layout at the lens of the scope, took some more tris down at the muzzle and made the screw shorter.

Next Stap unwrapping :D

st6pZO7.jpg
    knpZtlg.jpg
  • jerom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally baked my normals and AO. Had some problems in Max while baking normals, so I had to switch to Xnormal. And they came out nicely :)

Still have some cleaning to do in my AO, but I'm almost there.

Comments are always welcome :)

iXFFV0B.jpg
    KIMzItH.jpg
    4VBsbPP.jpg
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
    Like others have said some of your cylindrical objects still have too few sides. Keep in mind with this next generation rolling in round objects should be very round, no visible facets on cylindrical objects up in the players face. The scope is better in your latest iteration but the bolt could use some more sides. Also the body as a whole feels too narrow, especially that pistol grip and top rail. I'd readdress some of your proportions before getting too far into the baking/texturing.