Home Technical Talk

DDS Texture and Maya filter?

Hi.

If I export my texture as mipmapped DDS from Photoshop, do I still need to set the filter type in Maya's file node? Should I set the filter to mipmap, leave it as quadratic or set to None?

Replies

• kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Are you using this with Maya's native shader nodes? CGFX shader? HLSL shader?

Can't you just test it out? If you're able to put a specific image or effect in a certain mip level you could validate that it works quite easily I imagine.
  • DireWolf
    I'm testing with Maya 2014 DX11 viewport 2. But I don't have any huge enough scene to see any differences so far.

I've read about using filters with Vray however, that without any filter, the tiled EXR won't be able to partially load only what's needed but the entire texture would be loaded instead. I'm really curious if that's the case with DDS and real time too?
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    I ment as in zooming in out? Afaik you can zoom as far back as you would like as long as you tweak your near/far plane settings. Should be able to validate if the mip-levels kick in if you have a distinct difference in a given mip-level.
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    So I just tried this out in Maya 2013 x64.

I get the mip-map functionality working only in VP 2.0 and with the texture Filter Type: Mipmap. Works both with OpenGL and DX11. Seems to be trilinear filtering?

Oh yeah, you can just scale your object up/down to resize it's representation and thereby check the mip-map functionality, without moving the camera... duh. *smacks himself*
  • DireWolf
    Thanks kodde. Scaling the object was a nice trick... wow.