Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character anatomy/proportions - critiques, please!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Stirls polycounter lvl 8
Something funky going on with the hands, been staring at this so long that's all I can pick up on.

The character is going to be mostly covered by clothes, but I thought I'd treat this as a double project and bust out some basic muscular structure n' stuff.

4WmbX.png

Replies

• jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    I think the main problem is the forms the skeleton creates and the muscles insertion points are not working atm, really work on learning and understanding them, its really obvious in the inguinal ligament/illac area of the hips and also the shoulders. Atm it feels like you are copying what you see from ref and not sculpting what you know and understand.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    jfeez, you'd be right, this is mostly from reference as opposed to what I know.

Truth be told, I haven't given myself much time to study anything aside from the face which is a huge problem. Thanks for the feedback.
  • sefice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    About the hands, it could use some work on the rhythm and gesture. They don't normally curve out that way. The hand should start flat from the wrist then bend slightly at every knuckle. From your example it just curves straight out.

Here's something to help illustrate what I'm saying
    5484bb07855fa39a43c5340933756958.jpg

Notice how the top of the hand has a flat plane and bends ever so slightly at every knuckle. Hope this helps.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    sefice, fantastic! I'll work on the hands now.