Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3 Telephone Booths

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys could you tell me whether these booths look OK? Or is their something really wrong with them some place? Thanks!

xggs1y.png

Replies

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    You should texture them or make high polys. It's hard to crit until then.
  • camza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These models look pretty solid, nice work.

A couple things:

The phone cords could stand to be reduced quite a bit. Same goes for the display screens(?) at the top left of the receivers; those edge loops don't look like they change the silhouette at all. The back faces of the exterior cases look like they're n-gons but it's a bit hard to tell.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should texture them or make high polys. It's hard to crit until then.

thanks! yes, I know it might be hard to critique I just wanted to check if I was going in the wrong direction before I started textures
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    camza wrote: »
    These models look pretty solid, nice work.

A couple things:

The phone cords could stand to be reduced quite a bit. Same goes for the display screens(?) at the top left of the receivers; those edge loops don't look like they change the silhouette at all. The back faces of the exterior cases look like they're n-gons but it's a bit hard to tell.

ok thanks, sorry I missed your repsonse when I commented the first time. I agree the chords should be reduced. The back panels are seperate form the case to prevent ngons. Thanks, I will continue with textures

edit: you're also right about the unnecessary edgeloops elsewhere to
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes wrote: »
    thanks! yes, I know it might be hard to critique I just wanted to check if I was going in the wrong direction before I started textures

Well did you model a high poly to bake to the low?
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'm going to use nDo2 to add normals information
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    stuff like the buttons could be just a texture. It looks like there are too many polygons in some areas - like the cord, as already mentioned, and the area in the top left. These polygons could be better used in other areas like the crumpled cup.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But you'll still need a high to low bake to get nice edges and such.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    But you'll still need a high to low bake to get nice edges and such.

Well, to be honest it's my first time to use nDo2 so I guess I'm going about it wrong
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're going a bit overboard on the damage, especially the angle of the posts. It takes quite a bit of force to knock over a phone both. Subtle wear is often both more realistic and more effective than massive damage. On the other hand, a missing hand set wouldn't be uncommon.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes wrote: »
    Well, to be honest it's my first time to use nDo2 so I guess I'm going about it wrong

It's not that you don't know about ndo its that youre not getting why you need to make a high poly, a high poly will bake to your low and will give you a lot of details most notably edge roundess, even if you can get it looking good with ndo2 you are still leaving out a fundamental concept and important workflow behind game art in general. While there is nothing wrong really with how you are doing it a high poly looks nice in a portfolio and additionally it shows that you know how to bake normal maps and that is very important if you want to get into the industry.

Now that I look at your current model I notice you are really going overboard on polys, this is the reason for normal map baking so you can model all that detail then project it down into a really low poly mesh.
  • CreativeNot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great. I am looking forward to the texture work.