Home General Discussion

Overlooked Games and Female Characters

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
I saw this video from Extra Credits last night (great series..watch it if you haven't heard of it) and they touched upon a genre long forgotten and a surprising realization of the debate of female characters in games.

I feel like trying some of the games out for myself. What do you guys think about it?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Npu8xQDxS4"]Extra Credits, Season 7, Episode 05 - Overlooked - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• aleksdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can never get past that stupid filtered voice. If he wants to be taken seriously, lose the filter. It seems like a pitch up and a time speed up.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Yea, the voice started getting to me 4 seasons ago.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I have an idea! Lets pump up our post count by bitching about things that aren't related to the actual topic!

I don't like that they used green in that video.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    ye, green sucks!!!
    no but in all honesty, its a great show, dont miss out on it because the voice :)
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    This is actual one of my favorite shows because I feel like they can cover topics without throwing too much bias. I think the reason you don't get as much praise for these characters or topics in these games can be attributed to exposure. Personally, I don't see a whole lot of advertising for the latest Nancy Drew or other hidden object games. I imagine it could be hard to cut a trailer for a game when most the action is clicking on objects on screen hoping it has an effect.

I see these games on the shelf at Target or Wal-Mart and I typically just keep walking. It's a shame because there could be some excellent stories but I just don't know enough about them to be compelled to spend my money.