Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M207 .307 Futuristic Pistol

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
This is one of my first guns I modeled based off a concept, so far everything I've done has been self taught and I'm sure most of my mistakes with this model go to prove that a step further.

Here's an image of the final pistol from marmoset, and a P3D interactive turntable so you can point out all the things wrong with it lmao :)

tumblr_muqclqZZ411r9v16mo1_1280.jpg

M207 .307 (View in 3D)
BJOSx

I would really appreciate feedback from this as I'm applying to a game Art course in University this year and want to have a portfolio on par with the demographic they look for.

I already know about the wire :D Max had a hissy fit and triangulated my quads rather than me doing a decent retopo, that will be fixed :)

The gun is a concept made by daisukekazama http://daisukekazama.deviantart.com/art/M720-Revolver-Design-Multiview-281568933

m720_revolver_design_multiview_by_daisukekazama-d4nmzz9.jpg

Replies

• Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get that everyone else's work is on another level to this, but c'mon #Nolove?
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    Everything said above +
    I already know about the wire :D Max had a hissy fit and triangulated my quads rather than me doing a decent retopo, that will be fixed :)
    It doesn't matter if its triangulated, i'll get triangulated in the engine anyway. Just make sure you dont waste any tris on unnecessary parts. There is much room for improvement. Just add geometry, if it adds something to the silhouette, if it doesn't, remove it (like in the front, at the back of the drum,...)
    #swaggy
  • BertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    On first sight, it looks pretty descent. Clean presentation and stuff.
    There's a lot of space for improvement however,as Nerf Bat Ninja mentioned above.

The polycount (we prefer tricount), could probably be halved - if not more, by removing unnecessary edgeloops (see image). Those will have to be fixed by you, not by 3Ds Max ;)

Also, like NBN said, have you used a highpoly model for baking normals? It would improve the borders of the model a lot, instead of having these hard edges.

XkUyXFQ.png

edit: oh, and don't get impatient when there aren't any replies in 50 minutes, PC isn't an instant messenger ;)
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there are some mistakes as far as how the gun would actually function. The chamber doesn't line up with the barrel for example.

It's based off the chiappa rhino and the barrel does line up with the cylinder, that was one of the main things I spent most of my time on. But as for the hammer, yea that's another ballpark.

But if the rhino can do it, why can't mine ;)

Chiappa_Rhino_60DS_000.jpg

You can definitely tell this was textured in dDo without much other love or special sauce thrown in other their their default presets.

Yea it's annoying, I had made a version that was in it's entirety done outside of DDO but I really didn't like the vibe of it.

Here's what that looked like.

http://vimeo.com/72016842
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR wrote: »
    On first sight, it looks pretty descent. Clean presentation and stuff.
    There's a lot of space for improvement however,as Nerf Bat Ninja mentioned above.

The polycount (we prefer tricount), could probably be halved - if not more, by removing unnecessary edgeloops (see image). Those will have to be fixed by you, not by 3Ds Max ;)

Also, like NBN said, have you used a highpoly model for baking normals? It would improve the borders of the model a lot, instead of having these hard edges.

XkUyXFQ.png

edit: oh, and don't get impatient when there aren't any replies in 50 minutes, PC isn't an instant messenger ;)

When I say the poly's messed up on the retopo, I meant more towards the fact I had retopo'd the mesh using topogun and had it down to around 800 tri's but needed to fix something in max. When I exported it had re triangulated without me knowing (re triangulated my tris and quads) upping it to around 2k

I used a highpoly to bake the normals, but I'ts all been experimental work so far. But I will say this is by far the best normal mapped thing I've done from high to low.
    3d12ee9d2c5714052d7de0f9b287516c.png
  • BertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    Ok, well, it's the same mistake I've made my first tries.
    The highpoly version has waaaay to sharp edges. That won't show up on the normalmap, so you'll have to fix that. Take a look at this example by Racer445 racer.jpg
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, well, it's the same mistake I've made my first tries.
    The highpoly version has waaaay to sharp edges. That won't show up on the normalmap, so you'll have to fix that. Take a look at this example by Racer445 racer.jpg

Thanks man, I'll definitely take that on board. It's always confused me when I see peoples wireframes and the normals look amazing
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros wrote: »
    tumblr_muqclqZZ411r9v16mo1_1280.jpg

M207 .307 (View in 3D)

On the gun and everywhere else in this thread, you say "M207 .307". On that presentation image however, where you have the poly/tri count you have written "Model 720 .357", a different model number and caliber. You need to be more consistent, especially on an image like that where the gun says something different then the title.
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculptaur wrote: »
    On the gun and everywhere else in this thread, you say "M207 .307". On that presentation image however, where you have the poly/tri count you have written "Model 720 .357", a different model number and caliber. You need to be more consistent, especially on an image like that where the gun says something different then the title.

I was waiting for someone to catch me out on that lmao

Yea I get you, this is late nights and monster energy drinks. But I promise, it wont happen again :)
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    Retriangulating a mesh doesn't add triangles. I think you've confused polycount and tricount. Usually when people say polycount they mean tricount, simply because hoe many polies you have is much too irrelevant.

As long as the art is good, who cares...

thanks perna, I have no clue how it happened, but somehow it did. Something to do with the export from max, either or it doubled my polycount. :(

I will definitely re evelute the model and probably end up re Uv'ing and Re-topoing it again not to mention moving some of those edges around on my high poly to get some nice bevels.

Can I ask how you guys would of approached the UV, because I'm not entirely sure that I did it the right way. I looked a few of your threads in regards to normals and angles to cut at but took from it only my understanding of what you said.

As you can see, there's A LOT of small bits :c

9aa962d60d130a8304933d4116c7ba90.png
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    looks like you used something like pack UVs from textools? I cant see properly but it seems like you have lots of unused UV space there, it would be great if you would post UVs render
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like you used something like pack UVs from textools? I cant see properly but it seems like you have lots of unused UV space there, it would be great if you would post UVs render

Not going to lie, I did use the pack function from textools

eecda6743517ab7e9fefccb23ab83b90.png
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    yeah, pack your UVs manually and consider mirroring/stacking identical parts like the grip to save UV space.
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia wrote: »
    yeah, pack your UVs manually and consider mirroring/stacking identical parts like the grip to save UV space.

I don't particularly want to be *That guy* but how would you go about mirroring UV's while not completely messing up the normals, my last experience was bad to say the least.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    You have lots of normal map issues on this gun. They are a combination on your highpoly, lowpoly, UVs, and how you baked it.
    Read through these threads.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107196
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154
    You need to understand how normal maps work, and how your workflow effects them.
  • ausernottaken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't particularly want to be *That guy* but how would you go about mirroring UV's while not completely messing up the normals, my last experience was bad to say the least.
    My method is to delete half of the mirrored parts, UV it, bake it, and then apply a symmetry modifier to the mirrored parts.
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER wrote: »
    You have lots of normal map issues on this gun. They are a combination on your highpoly, lowpoly, UVs, and how you baked it.
    Read through these threads.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107196
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154
    You need to understand how normal maps work, and how your workflow effects them.

I don't want to sound condescending but I know how normals work, but my workflow does effect them I'm not denying that.

The problem is there's no specific way to bake normals for every object and my method at the moment I feel is the wrong one for the type of object I'm doing it for. To carry on from that, It's because I'm self taught and haven't found any documentation on where to use certain methods for normal generation which is why I assume it looks "Broke". (Not because I don't understand.)
  • BertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    Don't feel offended, but I think you know what normalmaps do, but not completely how they work.

Mastering normals can take a while, but before you reach that stage, you'll have to fail several times just to learn mistakes and errors the hard way. At least, that's how I've came to an understanding of them (not saying I've 'mastered' them :p).
    Millenia created a 4 part tutorial, which can be very useful. I'd suggest you skim through them, just take a look how his highpoly looks (soft edges), the lowpoly (topology, unwrap + smoothing groups).
    That should give you a boost in both workflow and result ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tgy0lBdJK0"]Weapon creation tutorial - Part 1 (high poly model) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    And be sure to have soft edges!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I don't want to sound condescending but I know how normals work.

The problem is there's no specific way to bake normals for every object

Those are two contradicting sentences. If you knew how normal maps work then you would be able to bake anything without an issues like you have. You have to understand the rules in order to get good normal maps, and both those threads cover nearly everything you need to know in detail.
    To carry on from that, It's because I'm self taught and haven't found any documentation on where to use certain methods for normal generation which is why I assume it looks "Broke". (Not because I don't understand.)
    Those threads are the documentation you need to understand how to bake quality normal maps. I am not trying to be a dick, just trying to help you, but if you cannot bake a clean normal map, then you do not understand normal maps.
    Free_Fall wrote: »
    And be sure to have soft edges!
    This is incomplete advice.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    This is not good advice.
    Why? Soft can be a bad choice of word because it implies blobby, really "wider edges" would be better, but currently his edge width is so tight that everything looks unnaturally sharp even when viewed up close.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    danm, that edit
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't feel offended, but I think you know what normalmaps do, but not completely how they work.

Mastering normals can take a while, but before you reach that stage, you'll have to fail several times just to learn mistakes and errors the hard way. At least, that's how I've came to an understanding of them (not saying I've 'mastered' them :p).
    Millenia created a 4 part tutorial, which can be very useful. I'd suggest you skim through them, just take a look how his highpoly looks (soft edges), the lowpoly (topology, unwrap + smoothing groups).
    That should give you a boost in both workflow and result ;)

Weapon creation tutorial - Part 1 (high poly model) - YouTube

It's all right I'm not offended, it's just I really do have the general gist of normal maps down, I literally spent 2 years just experimenting with shapes and different ways of mapping. But when people say one method works for all or once you know how it works your normals appear amazing is simply false and not a lack of understanding of how they work, but more of a lack of understanding of how to get the best normals.

Anyway I've digressed, I take everyone's opinion on board as that's the only way you learn.
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are two contradicting sentences. If you knew how normal maps work then you would be able to bake anything without an issues like you have. You have to understand the rules in order to get good normal maps, and both those threads cover nearly everything you need to know in detail.

Those threads are the documentation you need to understand how to bake quality normal maps. I am not trying to be a dick, just trying to help you, but if you cannot bake a clean normal map, then you do not understand normal maps.

This is incomplete advice.

Actually, those two sentences are not contradicting, Just so you know.

I'm pointing out the fact that once you know how normals work, it isn't the be all end all of everything. Understanding adds to a skill but not having understanding doesn't mean you will have bad results, it just means you don't know how to fix problems.

I'm not saying I don't know how to fix problems, I'm asking how can I improve my result.
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    It's all right I'm not offended, it's just I really do have the general gist of normal maps down, I literally spent 2 years just experimenting with shapes and different ways of mapping. But when people say one method works for all or once you know how it works your normals appear amazing is simply false and not a lack of understanding of how they work, but more of a lack of understanding of how to get the best normals.

Anyway I've digressed, I take everyone's opinion on board as that's the only way you learn.

That's great and all, but you forgot to improve yourself when it comes to unwrapping. It's really important that you do it a certain way to get the most out of your normal maps.

Oh yeah, and you forgot to mention that the gun is based off of a concept by daisukekazama
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 wrote: »
    That's great and all, but you forgot to improve yourself when it comes to unwrapping. It's really important that you do it a certain way to get the most out of your normal maps.

Oh yeah, and you forgot to mention that the gun is based off of a concept by daisukekazama

I didn't mention the source, but I did mention it was based off the concept.
    I've talked to Daisikekazama, I'll put that in now