Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Update - Looking for crits

Hey, I just recently revamped my folio and updated my "branding" and I am hoping to get some feedback.

Crits on anything is welcome, from the 3D itself to the layout of the website and anything in between.

Right now I am trying to break through that barrier of "not quite good enough" to become a professional quality artist and land a solid job.

EIrVO0H.jpg

Also, my folio isn't very diverse, so I am working on a scene right now using zBrush and a more hand-painted style. I am hoping a completely different style for my next project will freshen up the rest of my folio by comparison.
NiRUiHT.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Replies

• Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Your site looks good overall but you need to scale it WAY down, no wider than 960px. The link to your resume could be a bit larger/more noticeable. Other than that, it's very clean and to the point. The bright blue on grey helps you stand out as well.

For your portfolio itself, do something with plants.
  • kmactastic
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    Wow. Really cool stuff. I am a little jelly. I don't think your dragon logo belongs on your final renders. you can also choose a thumbnail for your sketch-fab that has the textures on it. Right now its white. I would go ahead an put some ground tiles underneath it, kind of like a little mini scene. Other wise I am looking at how it has no bottom (which is good for polys), but it would look better grounded. Also your images are a wee bit big.
  • YdoUwant2know
    Offline / Send Message
    YdoUwant2know polycounter lvl 7
    Have to agree with Equanim. Way to big. There are several models that are displayed so large I cannot see the entire thing at the same time. You should not have to scroll to see the top and bottom of an image.

I would scale the design down at least 50%. If you use Chrome you can you can hold "Ctrl" and scroll the middle mouse button in order to zoom out and get a look at how much easier it is to read. (I think its the same shortcut in firefox not sure)
  • AtlusZMH
    Thanks for the crits!

I was always under the impression that everyone liked seeing the big pics to look at details, ect. But I suppose I may have went a bit overboard with it.

As with doing something with plants, I agree ;)

Soon I'll have a few projects with some varying subject matters apart form just metals.
  • Ranko
    Offline / Send Message
    Ranko polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah the images are a bit too large,the only negative is the lack of variety. Great work otherwise :)
  • WolfGrizzly
    Offline / Send Message
    WolfGrizzly polycounter lvl 9
    The work itself is looking pretty good, I think the site layout needs a bit of a tune up. I would say it just feels a bit cluttered. Streamline it and keep up the good work, mang!
  • AtlusZMH
    Err.. Could you suggest another way to streamline it a bit? It's pretty simple and straightforward as it is. :)

Thanks!
  • Ranko
    Offline / Send Message
    Ranko polycounter lvl 4
    Just make the images smaller, the layout is good I think. Cant really get simpler then this.
  • AtlusZMH
    Updated! Now with smaller everything!

I've tested it on my comp and my fiancee's, but if anyone finds anything wonky about it, lemme know.

Thanks again! Anymore crits are welcome!
  • DWalker
    Add some space between the text and the border; the size of a 'space' character is a good initial choice.
  • PixelSuit
    Maybe consider dropping the "Monthly noob challenge 6" title from your opening portfolio page. This name is fine on the forum and gets the idea of the challenge across really well but you want to impress potential employers within seconds of opening your page. Also the shot of the scene looks really nice, putting "noob" on there does it no justice :)
  • AtlusZMH
    Hey! So I kinda flopped back to the big pictures... but not quite as big as before. I maxed out the width at 1400 pixels keeping in mind that a lot of laptop screens are 1440, so it should fit much better. I tried out 960 pixels, but it felt way too small IMO. The main page with the thumbnails is still smaller, though. I also went through and put shots of high polys for some of the assets.

If you guys have any other crits, I'd be grateful to hear them. :)
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    It would be cool of the dinosaur thing did not have hard edges and continued behind the images.
  • AtlusZMH
    I agree! But right now thats just a banner picture.. I'm not terribly versed in web programming, so beyond just making it a background image, I'm not sure how to make it go behind the other stuff easily...
  • frizzank
    The noob challenge 6 has too much red it needs some color contrast, maybe some other colored displays.

Dragon doesnt really fit the rest of your page.