Home Technical Talk

Software for Symmetric drawing

Hi, does anyone know if there is a software(for windows) that can mirror my cursor stoke with a user defined line as the "pivot". Or if there is a drawing software with this specific function built in?

in other words, mirror/symmetry drawing with a tilted axis, not just vertical or horizontal.

This picture demonstrates what i mean.
http://imgur.com/vslpbes

Replies

• Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Sketchbook Pro?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    You can move and rotate the axis of the symmetry ruler in Manga Studio 4, but I'm not sure if it's the same in version 5.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Easy, the best available software to do this is Krita, hands down.

You can get it here: http://krita.org/
    It has auto symmetry and user defined symmetry, in addition to a wrap around mode great for tiled texture work. Its brush system beats Photoshops in my opinion, though its still rough around the edges... still its been getting quite a bit of love these days. The developers are also being supported by IBM and even some vfx studios which used it for matte painting.

Did I mention its free? One of those nifty open source projects.

Brush packs can be found on the forum, and David Revoy has some good resources as well.
    http://www.davidrevoy.com/categorie6/resources

2hoa1b8.jpg

If you like it and it fits your needs perfectly, be sure to donate so it can continue to grow.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday wrote: »
    Easy, the best available software to do this is Krita, hands down.

You can get it here: http://krita.org/

Wow never heard about this app. I have been looking for something like this for awhile. Thanks so much for posting it!
  • ImTilted
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all suggestions! Krita looked promising, but unfortunately, super slow.
    To a point where it´s just not acceptable :/ (at random intervals the UI takes 5ish sec just to respond,)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I think Manga Studio can do symmetry and it's pretty popular in the comic book industry for it's fantastic inking brushes. I've got Manga Studio 4 at home, I mainly bought it because it was on sale for crazy cheap, I've dabbled in it a bit but I've barely used a tenth of it's features.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin: Update to 5, the painting engine is SO nice.

But yeah, MS5 has symmetry, and it works as you want. You can even add divisions to it so it's like radial symmetry in zbrush, and you can freely move and rotate the symmetry line.

krita is very promising, but doesn't yet run well on Windows.

edit: mind you, I'm rooting for Krita. From what I've seen and read, the developers are doing all the right things. And they've got love for our industry!
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's odd, I am having no slowdowns at all on windows for Krita. I'll go ahead and drop into IRC to let the developers know though that some of you are experiencing slow downs. There might be something wrong with the latest build they are not aware of.

Imtilted, MightyPea...just to verify you two are using the most current version correct? The difference in performance on windows for the current and old version is night and day. Lots of optimization has taken place in a short period of time since it was ported over to windows.
  • ImTilted
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday wrote: »
    That's odd, I am having no slowdowns at all on windows for Krita. I'll go ahead and drop into IRC to let the developers know though that some of you are experiencing slow downs. There might be something wrong with the latest build they are not aware of.

Imtilted, MightyPea...just to verify you two are using the most current version correct? The difference in performance on windows for the current and old version is night and day. Lots of optimization has taken place in a short period of time since it was ported over to windows.
    Yes i am using the "latest stable" (2.8 pre alpha) the temporary freezing of Krita happens as soon as i hover over some random "tools" buttons(buttons on the left). When the freezing stops i can move my cursor quickly over 2 buttons and see the buttons get highlighted without any lagg. But as soon as i start to hover over more buttons it freezes again.
    But the UI feels overall slow. for example The "opacity" slider on top. its quite stuttering, but does not cause a long freeze
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Does Krita not let you choose an installation dir, or am I missing something? Seems to default to C and even though the installer has a Disk Management section that says "..or select different destination drives", there appears to be no way to do that.
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    been playing all night with krita and godamn this is an awesome program.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Data: I will test with the latest again. I know Windows support was lacking before, and supposedly the latest builds are supposed to be better.
  • boudewijnrempt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boudewijnrempt polycounter lvl 5
    Imtilted: did you enable OpenGL in the settings? That might make a difference. I haven't had reports of hanging when hovering over buttons before, so I wonder what's going on there...

Bek: I'm sorry, but that's not yet possible. I haven't figured out how to add a location selector to the wix scripts we use. Worse, I haven't been able to figure out how to install the x64 version to the right "Program Files" directory... I'm learning a lot about Windows these days, but I've been on Linux pretty much solid for the past ten years.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Data: I will test with the latest again. I know Windows support was lacking before, and supposedly the latest builds are supposed to be better.

Right on. Yeah the improvements have been vast in such a short period of time.

^Boud is probably at the top of the food chain as far as Krita development goes btw. Its good to see him in the Polycount forum as well.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    ImTilted wrote: »
    Thanks for all suggestions! Krita looked promising, but unfortunately, super slow.
    To a point where it´s just not acceptable :/ (at random intervals the UI takes 5ish sec just to respond,)
    Yes, the windows version is pretty off-shot to "oh shut up, you have windows version now go away".
    Krita is mainly created to work under Linux.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Bek: I'm sorry, but that's not yet possible. I haven't figured out how to add a location selector to the wix scripts we use. Worse, I haven't been able to figure out how to install the x64 version to the right "Program Files" directory... I'm learning a lot about Windows these days, but I've been on Linux pretty much solid for the past ten years.
    That's okay, I'd love to be able to use linux for everything myself.. At least things are moving in that direction :thumbup:
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    wow, this tool is so awesome
    i´ve been playing around with it for some hours now
    i didnt download the alpha with the wraparoundmode, but that looked really amazing and iam really waiting for the release :)

its really fun working with it so far. the menu on rightclick is nice while painting
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the newer builds are amazing! I donated a little bit, so glad to see this being actively developed. Very excited for future features as well, like painting on multiple layers (diffuse/spec/gloss/...), which I'm sure was mentioned at one point.
  • ImTilted
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Imtilted: did you enable OpenGL in the settings? That might make a difference. I haven't had reports of hanging when hovering over buttons before, so I wonder what's going on there...

Yep, i tried activating OpenGL but it did not help.
    Here is a video of my problem http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cI6qcDV7gz
    As you can see, the number of buttons causing the freeze is progressively getting less and less as i go trough it.

Opening a new document(fresh start of Krita) is also quite slow/bad behavior. "Bad" as in, "freezing"/ shows "not responding" during the whole process of loading all files (takes ≈2min using power-saver mode on laptop). New document with krita already running: ≈5sec

note: I installed Krita inside Sandboxie (www.sandboxie.com) but as far as i can tell, this do not decreased the performance on any of my other software running inside it, so i doubt this is causing the UI lag

Running 32-bit Vista
  • knacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    knacki polycounter lvl 11
    Often overseen Artrage 4 does exactly what you are looking for.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOoq9my0a9E&feature=player_detailpage#t=62

Like it more than painter (have V9 only to be honest) & photoshop CS6 for drawing.
    It's my favourite sketch & paint program now. Pure fun. Lovely UI.
    Bought it for ipad first, for mobile sketching, where procreate is still my favourite.
    But Paint Symmetry is Artrage 4 PC/ Mac only.

Brushes are not as flexibel as in photoshop (as a lot of other things for sure), but it's lovely sketching tool.
    Has a pretty nice line smoothing too.
    Bought Lazy Nezumi after reading about it at Polycount.
    Pretty cool tool but Artrages smoothing is built in and it's smoothing the line after stroke. Like flash does. Gives a better drawing feeling.

Give it a try, you'll love it.

P.S.
    Played with krita for some minutes.
    Nice one, thanks! Will give it some more time.
    Not laggy here for most brushes except blurring.
    Win7 64 bit/ 3930k 4,0GHZ / TitanGTX / 64 Gig Ram
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've really been getting into Krita over the past few days! I did find what I think is a bug though, can anyone else confirm?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17715/kt_genlayermaskexperimentalbrush.gif

This is a generated layer with a pattern, and I'm painting in the mask with an 'experiment' brush (basically just a lasso fill, using none of the other options).
    I'm never crossing over the same part twice within the same stroke, so the artifacts are strange.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ooooh, a lasso fill brush ... the ONE tool that I have been waiting for for *ages* but it never appeared in Photoshop ...
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Along with symmetry. :) Seriously, that would take someone at Adobe all of 20 minutes to implement.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior: I told you Manga Studio has that, noob.

Seriously though, Adobe does not give one solitary fuck about what we want as illustrators/painters. They did add some 3d bristle brushes recently, but that feels more like someone's pet project than a real move away from photo-editing.

In Manga Studio I had it set up so my lasso fill tool would lasso-delete while holding down alt, which was a fantastic workflow for thumbnailing!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe yeah - but I am an old snob, my brain refuses to multitask between programs :D But fair enough tho - I'll give it a spin, I do have a license for it anyways :D
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you end up getting manga studio, just be aware you probably wont be able to upgrade anymore.
    Its a rebranding of a japanese product, which is finally being localized by the original developers instead of smithmicro. From what I read, what you see now from smith micro will be the last of the manga studio as everything else is moving over to the japanese brand.

Here's where future versions will come from in english. http://www.clipstudio.net/en/
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah - I think that's a good thing ! Straight from the source, that's pretty good :)
    I hope they'll advertise the release aggressively.
  • boudewijnrempt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImTilted wrote: »
    Opening a new document(fresh start of Krita) is also quite slow/bad behavior. "Bad" as in, "freezing"/ shows "not responding" during the whole process of loading all files (takes ≈2min using power-saver mode on laptop). New document with krita already running: ≈5sec

note: I installed Krita inside Sandboxie (www.sandboxie.com) but as far as i can tell, this do not decreased the performance on any of my other software running inside it, so i doubt this is causing the UI lag

Running 32-bit Vista

Hm... I have heard of something like this before, and that was also with a sandboxie user. I don't know whether that's really the issue, but I can imagine it wreaking havoc with our use of temporary files for swap, especially in the 32 bits version Krita.
  • boudewijnrempt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside wrote: »
    Yes, the windows version is pretty off-shot to "oh shut up, you have windows version now go away".
    Krita is mainly created to work under Linux.

Well, I'm doing my best... For many Windows users, Krita works just fine (especially the x64 version), and we've got a hugely reworked wintab support coming up, too. But packaging on Windows is a huge task all by itself, and it's eating into my bug fixing time in a major way!