Home Dota 2

Phantom Textures/ Dota 2 Test Problems

GhostDetector
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
I had a texture that I imported and decided to edit the texture. There wasn't any definite change. So then I tried testing to see if the texture actually changed so i painted a black streak through the uv spaces. It didn't show up, what is the problem?

When I rename the file output everything is fine and I can see the changes.
Also, my dota 2 test lost its lighting. As in there is none. Anyone have an idea of what is going on?

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOTA seems to cache the test assets you import, and doesn't end up re-importing the source assets with their changes.

You can keep deleting the cache (I can't remember the folder off-hand - it's burried in the Dota2 folder) or you can rename your item each time you re-import it with changes.

It's a pain in the arse, mostly, but it's just one of those things :/
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    I restart Dota 2 before each texture revision, that works for me. A pain, but it works.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i can change something to texture and reimport it with the very same name and i see changes each time. what u say - never happend to me :/

but i u use dota2 for workshopitem testing, and not dota2test
  • hayes87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 polycounter lvl 6
    hmm, I give a different name every time im going to test something within dota2.
    Like "courier_wip_001", so the importer creates a new folder and doesnt reuse the files.
  • putka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    You just need to change the submission name every time you make a change. I forgot what it's called exactly, basically the first field you see when you publish something, you give it a name. I just add 01, 02, 03... at the end.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Shock wrote: »
    i can change something to texture and reimport it with the very same name and i see changes each time. what u say - never happend to me :/

but i u use dota2 for workshopitem testing, and not dota2test

I also just use the Dota2 client and not Dota2 test. The only thing i do is click the import button again it it recompiles my mdl with the updated texture.
  • Nemozini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You clean it up after a while to save space too if you keep changing names
    ....\SteamApps\common\dota 2 test\content\dota\....
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Here are the options (problem has been solved)
    - Use the dota 2 client and it overwrites
    - Use dota 2 test and use different names.
    - Clear all of the data from dota 2 test in the content folder or something.

If there are any other ways please write it here