Home Technical Talk

Game engine Wires and groups of wires - How?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
So I've done some browsing on the forums to try and find an answer to this but so far I've only gone around in a giant circle to find my self in the same position. Nowhere.

Here's a few of my main concerns when it comes to the crunch.

So the question is, how do you create wires and groups of wires for a game environment?

Should I embed it into the texture sheet, or make them a separate entity?

How would I go about unwrapping multiple wires without making a mess on my UV sheet?

How should I set up the scene to get the wires looking smooth with/without the use of normals?

Could & should this be done with decals?

I know it seems a lot to answer but those are the main questions I've had, if not for me but for others to can someone please explain on how to go about this. I've been wrapping my head around how to do this for a while and every attempt has been a failure :\ Thanks!

PS this is more to do with wires that are pinned against the walls rather than swinging wires, but if someone could elaborate on how to do both it would be EXTREMELY helpful.

Replies

• timotronprime
    Offline / Send Message
    timotronprime polycounter lvl 11
    Mossbros wrote: »
    do you create wires and groups of wires for a game environment?
    Should I embed it into the texture sheet, or make them a separate entity?

There are multiple ways depending on what is appropriate for their purposes. Modeling them out, using plane strips, baking them onto the mesh itself etc.

How would I go about unwrapping multiple wires without making a mess on my UV sheet?

What kind of 'mess' are you getting? They only get as complicated as cylinders can get right?

How should I set up the scene to get the wires looking smooth with/without the use of normals?

I'm assuming you mean without using a normal map texture. You can add more geo for the u span (or is it v span?) or soften the normals depending on how it's done.

Could & should this be done with decals?

It could. Should it? depends on what you're using it for.

It would help if you post images to be more specific on what you're trying to achieve.
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, It's more a problem of how I've been (avoiding) it as whenever I attempt it, it's a poor attempt.

This is the scene I'm currently working with, No wires at the moment within engine, but the wires in max are as basic as can be, a square.

(This is my first environment, so please any CONSTRUCTIVE feedback would be awesome)

Cryengine Scene
    ed0da62bbdc40bac466bcde9de1dc7bf.png

Concept
    6d8071923a6edad3daa8d8305d816309.png

3DS max atm
    e16f9d890b71b6864563e00e1e98a2a6.png
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Specifically this kind of area, but I'm assuming the rule can be applied to most wires

506a6da2dc039cadc6dd3909b62ebe74.png
  • timotronprime
    Offline / Send Message
    These aren't really wires but more of electrical piping so I would model them in segments.
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    These aren't really wires but more of electrical piping so I would model them in segments.

I don't want to sound depreciative of your advice, but what do you mean by segments?
    Like how I've done it?
  • timotronprime
    Offline / Send Message
    For example:
    - long straight piece
    - short straight piece
    - L-shape piece
    - S-shape piece
    - corner-piece
    - power box connection piece
    etc

So you can model/texture a few modular pieces and then build them all in-engine.

Doing what you have right now isn't wrong. I'm just suggesting another approach.
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    For example:
    - long straight piece
    - short straight piece
    - L-shape piece
    - S-shape piece
    - corner-piece
    - power box connection piece
    etc

So you can model/texture a few modular pieces and then build them all in-engine.

Doing what you have right now isn't wrong. I'm just suggesting another approach.

Alright thanks man, :)