Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mossberg 500 Rifled

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bcottage polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys,

I am a 3rd year student at the University of Hertfordshire and will have a portfolio/showreel ready for christmas.

This is going to be my first showreel piece and would love to know what you think?

Current stage

aYOX9RH.jpg
Lgl5XFk.jpg
MLwFGGH.jpg
vYiIBv9.jpg

Replies

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Wait im going to write something..
    After picking my jaw up from the floor.

Pro:
    Great looking modell
    Wood looks great and that specular damn.
    It seems to be worn out in the right places.

cons (IMO):
    To clean metal. Maybe dirt it up a little bit more (Maybe the character dropped it in mud. Or he had very oily hand).
    The scope is way to clean.

100.JPG

Look how the wood wears out.
    NightTrain2CamoAngled.jpg
    i dont know if you can see it but the Scope got some greyish spots.
    AS if rain had hit it and left stain marks. Very tiny. But the details tells a story.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    That scope on a shotgun?!
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    cholden wrote:
    Rifled shotguns can reach out a pretty far distance.

I think from a technical standpoint it looks pretty solid. But I am not the most qualified to speak on that. If anything, see if you can find a way to add more depth to the glass. Some shader work, or duplicate the mesh and give each some transparency. From a character point of view, it tells a story pretty well. It looks used and well maintained, and judging by the zombie outbreak response team sticker, the person who owns it has a sense of humor. I would personally not dirty it, or scratch it to hell. Most people keep their firearms clean so they stay reliable. The pins in the receiver have oily stains around them. That's a nice detail. I can smell Hoppes #9 by looking at it. :)

EDIT: On closer look, the shell sitting in the caddy looks like it is all red when it should be a nice brass color. Since the rest is pretty spot on, I think this was just an oversight.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    cholden wrote: »

Eh it isn't unheard of with a rifled shotty, they normally use a rifled slug as well rather than your traditional buckshot, which is a lot more accurate. I think they are normally used for taking down big game etc.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou for your crits guys :)

@ wirrexx - "Wait im going to write something..
    After picking my jaw up from the floor."
    this quote put a massive smile on my face! it really is a ego boost to think that I am now at the stage where I am producing art that other artists appreciate, big thankyou for that :)
    I totally agree with the points you made out. I did make the metal oily but it obviously isnt showing up enough to spot at first glance, i will see about boosting that up a bit.
    There pretty much isnt any dirt on the scope, thats my bad for forgetting that, a few mud/dirt splatters are in defo order!
    The wood is way to clean too, i will add dirt and other marks where the player is most likely to touch it to give a sense of realism. Thankyou for your comments means alot man.

@ cholden - Yep! i wanted to model a gun which noone has modeled before (wanted to keep away from the m4's and the uzis)

@ commador - The scope glass is just a place holder for now, i couldnt really find any resources that make rally make that part look good..i will look into this.
    Im really happy that you can see the story :) i really wanted to put my stamp on this and it looks like it has worked woo! I definatly want to add more to it tho! maybe get some more stickers for the stock and maybe scratch a sentence into the metal like "they are coming" or "pew pew".
    The shotgun shell is definatly the first thing i will fix when i come back to this in a few days..want to spend time to get brass looking sexy!
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Overall I dig it. The modelling looks spot on and your normals are reading well.

However:

Right now the wood looks like printed wood texture laminate/veneer, vs wood. The grain is really overpowering for the type wood/cut that is. As a whole I feel it detracts rather than adds.

If you wanted to keep that grain pattern, I'd suggest toning down the veining significantly, then playing with your albedo/diffuse base color as well as playing with variations in the tone of your spec/gloss map to see if you can bring it down to a more varnished wood look.

Custom Wood Blanks for gun furniture

Personally, I'd opt for more of an English Walnut (pretty standard wood type for guns) or this Black Walnut

It has a more interesting grain and with some wear in the gloss (for minimal wear) to simulate varnish thinning in generally handled regions it'd push it up a notch imo.

Similarly I'd tone down the grain on the bolt. Its waaay to strong. Grain like that should be barely noticeable from most angles, and basically invisible in others.

Also, if you're going to Greentooth it up, I'd sugggest turning it into either paint or a sticker. Right now its reading like someone tried taking a marker and coloring one on with printer like precision, or used a semi-transparent sticker.

As a final thought, maybe play with the spec/gloss on the covers for the scope. Right now they read to me at least as the same type of material the scope is made out of except maybe slightly cleaner vs. being a hard plastic or rubberized plastic.

Anyway man, take it all with a grain of salt. You've done well so far.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Grimm_Wrecking - Thank you for your massive post man, means alot.

Totally agree with everything you have said. I gave decided to completely start again with the wood..Its a massive eye sore atm.

And yep, will turn the greentooth into a sticker and maybe add some more stickers along side it?

I completely overlooked the scope covers, will turn them into the right material which is a hard rubber/plastic I believe.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mini update

- Made zombie sticker more realistic by adding air bubbles
    - Added dirt to the stock going to add more dirt and grime)
    - Added more shotgun shells (will continue to texture them once TB2 is released
    - Adjusted various parts of the spec and gloss maps

fMZoW3m.jpg
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Texture & Model Look great! Whats the Tris Count & Texture size?
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man :)

Current poly count is 6955 and the texture sizes are 2x2048 (scope and receiver).
    Btw, I would love to know your workflow with your AK stock, that's the look I was going for, I think I can push that a little further.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    I referenced a few different types of wood Texutres I thought worked well with the Gun. I thought about where the gun was being used (my this case Post Apocalyptic) which helped with my choice of the 2nd Texture. I blended/ Masked both textures to give some variation between the 2. I then painted a Highlights & Shadows Layer (Areas it would get more/less light & Wear), a Scratch Layer then generated my normals from those layers using nDo 2.

I think the wood on yours looks good, its just to clean & the wood grain is to consistent. btw you nailed the Metal on the scope & the model looks very clean.

Hope I helped in some small way
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, totally agree with the wood grain, ill try and come back with something a bit better :)
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks nice all in all.
    Some issues I would say are the wood, that with the grain has been said, but what about that carved grip ? Im not 100% sure, but that looks not convincing to me, the first thing coming to mind is that it would probably not be possible doing that, and then if it would be some kind of laser carved, then there would be either no gloss layer between the dots or gloss on the dots aswell, also the carved shape dosnt flow with your form. The sharp end on the bottom end would look a lot better if it vent with the flow of the silhouette.

Also the metal has a lot more potential. And for wear, those kinds of shotguns have an insane broad convex edge where the flat side meets the round top, and that one totally screams for wear ; )
    A little more polys on the first person area where the stock meets the reciever and the stock itself would have been good aswell, atleast for portfolio presentations

What is this white block between the "mag" and the barrel ?
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    The blocks under the slide running back to the receiver are actually the rails that are the initial drivers for the cycling of rounds in a pump shotty. They're typically the same material or at least material coating as the rest of the gun metal though.

I have to say that they stand out in a bad way atm.

For a clearer image brownell slide tube assembly

If you're wanting to leave them a different metal finish, thats works I've seen it quite a bit, but right now they're really out of place without any spec.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shrike - Completly agree what you have said, thankyou for your advise, i will take it on board.

@Grimm_Wrecking - Thankyou for clearing that up :).

So... I motivated myself to 'finish' this piece.... for now. I spend a good week getting this textured and then rendered out in Marmoset 2 :).

Currently thinking to add bandages wrapped around the stock and maybe do something with the lens?

7wGeZTw.jpg
    FnU9oYO.jpg
    BOQeiga.jpg
    PtaqhB4.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    This is awesome dude! Love it!
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message