Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Battlefield 4 Fan art dog tags (2D WIP)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
hollandje polycounter lvl 4
Hey polycounters!

This is something I wanted to do for a long time but I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to post. My name is Juli

Replies

• hollandje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shamefull bump
  • ThaSlimShady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThaSlimShady polycounter lvl 4
    I love this. I know, bump, but damn!
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    overall not bad imo!

Only thing that I believe needs to improve is line quality, as you can see DICE created dog tags have quite a variety in line quality. I.e. straight lines look pretty clean as if they were scraped with some sort of a needle in a single motion. Yet when it gets to more complex shapes there is a lot of errors in the lines where small pieces of metal that were not scraped of remain. And so on, observe closely and keep going! :)
  • hollandje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo wrote: »
    overall not bad imo!

Only thing that I believe needs to improve is line quality, as you can see DICE created dog tags have quite a variety in line quality. I.e. straight lines look pretty clean as if they were scraped with some sort of a needle in a single motion. Yet when it gets to more complex shapes there is a lot of errors in the lines where small pieces of metal that were not scraped of remain. And so on, observe closely and keep going! :)

I definitly understand what you're saying, I've never looked at it that way! So if I understand you completly, the straight lines are pretty clean and easy to carve but round edges and dificult shapes (I.e. crowns, skulls, guns etc.)are harder and will give more damage to the tag!

That's the reason why dog tags with text are way cleaner than weird shaped drawings!!!! Thank you so much for your valueble feedback!! I really appreciate it!
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlCraft polycounter lvl 9
    Cool project! Loving the look of it all.
    My only concern is the text size. Not sure how big the tags in battlefield are though, but it's hard to read (same for the images actually) when zoomed out. The lines become too thin and text too small.

Since you're using the original tags from battlefield as reference I guess it looks right, but something that came to mind!
  • ThaSlimShady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThaSlimShady polycounter lvl 4
    Is your signature true!? Wow! :D makes me even more proud to be dutch ;)

Nice one man!
  • hollandje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    callebo wrote: »
    Cool project! Loving the look of it all.
    My only concern is the text size. Not sure how big the tags in battlefield are though, but it's hard to read (same for the images actually) when zoomed out. The lines become too thin and text too small.

Since you're using the original tags from battlefield as reference I guess it looks right, but something that came to mind!

When the tags I use as reference are in the game they are just perfect. Here is an example:

107a770b7ba6cdc6c969d17de405e65f.png

The images are scaled to a resolution of 184x92 so it's a pretty low resolution. However when you get to see them in the game itself they will be scaled around 500x250. Thanks for your comment though!
    Is your signature true!? Wow! :D makes me even more proud to be dutch ;)

Nice one man!

The best part, it is! I'm an assistent developer of Battlefield 4 :]
    Some of my dog tags are in the actual game! :D

GK6JaKt.jpg
  • hollandje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo wrote: »
    overall not bad imo!

Gheromo, after your constructive criticism I revamped the HVT crown and I got an amazing respons from the community but also from DICE ;). Thank you so much for you valueble respond!! :D Here is the picture of it :]

HXUp2zi.jpg
  • hollandje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the post with my newest dog tag:

Ei1uRbh.png