Home Technical Talk

Need lots of help here..

Ok I am making a factory scene for a uni project.
Here's what I have so far:

ri7uky.jpg

and this is what Im going for:

1zg8h9v.jpg

1. Im assuming this has to be modular? I've started laying out the modular pieces but I have several questions regarding a modular workflow.

2. For the bricks, would I model out each brick and place it on my structural pieces for baking normal/ao/spec maps? Or would I just get a brick wall texture and use xNormal in photoshop to generate said maps?

3. In past projects using modular workflows, you can easily see where one piece of structure ends and another begins,(it looks like a really antialiased line between the two models) is there any way to break away from this?

4. How would I bake modular pieces in xNormal using a cage? First off. how would I make a cage!? In the past Ive just used 3ds max's "projection" modifier, but Im learning that that is just giving me unwanted artifacts in my maps. Should I just use xnormal or bake in maya/max?

5. Could I import this into mudbox/zbrush and etch in damage to the walls? If so, how do I export that back into max/maya/xnormal so I can bake those details into my maps?

Im beginning to think Im just in the wrong field. My art is improving VERY slowly and I just barely have enough time to finish anything. I SUCK at texturing.
Sorry for the rant, thank you for any help :thumbup::)

Replies