Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted House

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
Wassssup
I started a little project to do after work, since I'm working on so much realism stuff. I'm making a little modular house kit that can be used to make a large variety of buildings. Inspired by OJs blog post about a similar idea.

hCO921A.jpg
5bVYWBZ.jpg
dJnjtQh.jpg

I'm still in the early stages of texturing so critiques and comments would be appreciated!

Replies

• kmactastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good! I see you are painting light into your textures which really helps. What is your poly limit? It looks very low. It's good you are inspired by his work, but I wouldn't be afraid to add more of your own twist to this. Maybe some plant life, like flower boxes, or a different happier/spookier color scheme? Hope you keep updating ^^
  • kmactastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just took a look at your Tudor project. It's pretty incredible. Do you have a fly-through?
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
    kmactastic - Thanks! yes I'd never really tried painting the light in, its actually quite fun and pretty natural. As it stands I dont have one, but its quite low, mainly just focused on the textures with this. I like the ideas for the flower planters, could be really interesting to paint, so I'll give that a shot :)

Small update. Haven't really had a chance to work on it much.

nnl5mo0.jpg
    XK8iNY3.jpg
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin' good! How about adding some of those large wooden support beams to the bottom story of the tall house? It looks a little flat with just planks.
  • kmactastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would go ahead and add a unique/different texture to the top border/ledge thing of your chimney. Or at the very least get rid of the half-bricks. Is there any AO on your renders/screenshots? Might be where some of the flatness is coming from.
  • kmactastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, the inside lip of the roof should probably have the wood texture... Might help to looks at real life while doing this if you are not already.

can't wait to see more!