Home General Discussion

3D To 2D ! Help , ask for advices !

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
Hi Polycount !

(sorry for my poor English )
i'm asking for some advices , i'm a 3d artist but I'm just creating small thing like props and modeling stuff but i want to do big things like environment..ect
but i don't have a strong pc to do good renders for environment . and i'm thinking about switch to 2d because i just need a good pc to work .

i was always thinking about getting a job as a 3d artist , so it's wired to switch 2d and see my self doing 2d or getting a job as 2d artist . and the second problem is i have to start all over .

so you guys have any advices to help me out ?

thanks you :)

Replies

• ayoub44
    Offline / Send Message
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Get a new PC?

Alternatively, work with less polygons. You seem to only be doing highres things and no bakes. Your performance issues likely stem from wanting to model the entire scene as highpoly.

I think switching from 3D to 2D is kind of excessive. Even with my old (2003) budget (€350) PC I could do pretty usable 3D stuff.
  • ivanzu
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    You don't have to have ultra high end PC to do environment art.Dual-Core 2.5GHZ,4gb RAM and 50$ gpu could do it.Games don't lag just because of great graphics but because of code running in background so when you are doing an environment there is no code running in background which means CPU can work on graphics more.

This only applies on game environment art not on movie environments since they have high poly count scenes.
  • ayoub44
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks you guys , i really want to focus on cg environment work so that why I'm afraid to have some problems with renders and stuff :poly141: .. i do some game art ( props ) but i don't really find any problem with the progress .. when i just bake my textures and using viewport shaders , it's work well for me .
    so i check out some Hiten Mistry environment work . he is using lowpoly models with bakes in his environment and render them in mentalray . so i think if use lowpoly models like you said , I'm not going to have any problem and getting some good results.

any more advices guys ?

thanks you :)
  • OXIDUS
    Hello Ayoub44

Have you looked into CrazyTalk Animator? I actually work for the company that makes it and use it for all sorts of 2D stuff. I even make presentations with animated 2D avatars.