interpolator
Offline / Send Message
BagelHero interpolator
2022 Edit:
yeesh.

LATEST

Artstation

Original post:

Starting a sketchbook to kick myself up a habit of sculpting every day instead of only when I need to. I do daily sketches, too, so I'll probably post a lot of those in here. Critique is always awesome if anyone's up to giving some!

This is just a sketch I've been working on in an on-and-off manner over the last two days (between getting the flu and weening myself off GTA5).

RLgRdMWpngzRmPGsKpng
Those are my first renders from Zbrush, too, so apologies for them being kinda washed out. I've only used my Sculpts for normal maps previously, a different process indeed.

And speaking of previous works, I'll throw some other stuff down here.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=pVccmZudXaw

NB8Cvjapng1

This guy originally had plumage and wings, but I could never perfect the feathers, so I never finished him... Oh well. Maybe I'll redo him sometime, he has blaring mistakes in the rig and model in any case.

GVvWK8dpng
These are some thumbs for the same project, which I think I'll recycle for another sculpt some time, as I'm quite fond of them.

And most recently, I had to do some art for some music videos, and box art for the vocal library (anyone heard of VOCALOID/UTAU?), so here's them.
9dm7ayPpng
fwTG7V8pngdXfmpczjpg
And the finished art! I only noticed after coloring that his feet ended up being both inward turning, oops.

A little weird sharing my (decidedly unprofessional) cover and "video" works here, but the other pictures were more frames for other assets and look kind of odd on their own (but it seems a waste to not share them?).
http://youtu.be/RdeDIrLorwA
http://www.wysp.ws/post/10747027/

And finally, today's sketch. Might slap some value painting on it later and neaten it up.
HcukvUSpng

That's it for now. Thanks for checking the thread out!

Replies

• BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Been working on this for the past two days (base one day in about an hour, details/hair/ears today for about 3 and a half hours)... First time I've worked on hair ever actually, so perhaps a little dodgy. But hey, gotta tackle it sometime! I'll be attempting clothes layer tonight, I think, and doing a little more polypainting. This time the render's resolution is kind of tiny... I'll figure that one out, too.
    JclRkWZ.png
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    For the past five days I've not been posting I've already skipped one daily zbrush and three I was dicking around trying to get clothes happening. Seems I need to kick my own ass back into line.

v8VKrZ8png
    This is the result of that. I'm thinking of starting a completely new sculpt tomorrow instead of continuing to mess with this one.

Also been working on a painting for (yet another) video.
    TivKTDLpng
    And then I realized that the arm on the left was a bit long, but the way I had organized my layers wasn't going to allow for me to move it. So this mess was born of me attempting to mask everything out in order to A ) move the arm cleanly and B ) reapply a background without messing everything up.
    jZDJy41png
    So yeah. That'll be fun (It's taking forever to get the to real fun bit; the actual painting and rendering... Here's hoping soon this'll all be out of the way).
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    IzAKO4x.png
    Today's sculpt. Another scowling, aging man with no hair. I really need to mix it up a bit, whenever I start sculpting with no goal this happens... oi vey.

Had fun polypainting and lighting, at least, and this time I managed to get it rendering out at a bigger resolution. Learning!
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Today's a bit hectic; so I'm just going to throw down what I've done so far today, though I intend to do a bit more.

edbIqv0.png
    Yesterday's sculpt

HsTBPx6.png
    A landscape study. I am trying so hard not to put myself down right now let me tell you. I'm coming along with my characters, designs and sculpting even, but my landscapes and concept pieces are way behind. Extremely frustrating, and I've no clue how to get better. Based on this: http://i.imgur.com/bdKY6Av.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Well. Almost a month skipping daily sculpts. GJ me.

I've been spending all my time drawing and painting... And left it all on a hardrive that's elsewhere. I might upload a few more pieces later today, but for now just a sketch or two.
    5MXAfqd.jpg

iVb01xD.png
    (Ashton belongs to Robb Pickering)

And yet another head. She had a body, but I deleted it in a fit of frustration. Yeah I'm... Regretting that now. Well, I guess you live and you learn.
    SCAKUhp.png?1
  • paulchen83
    significant improvement in your sketches when i look at the first and last. congrats, your hard work paid off. May i ask, how do you get the glow effect on the model in your turntable video? i'm new to materials and render. And also, what material settings u used for the cartoon girl you are working on? thanks in advance.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    @paulchen83
    Thanks heaps!
    The glow effect on Rebirth was created by placing a plane behind the gap for the eyes, and applying a "surface shader" material. I then just messed with the out color and out glow, and rendered with Mental Ray. It seems to get that result consistently, just tried it again to make sure ;)

As for the girl, that was a Zbrush render, and I just used the skinshade4 material with the Wax Modifier boosted in terms of temperature and strength. I also turned on Sss and AO in Render Properties, and all of this on top of a base layer of polypainting.

Hope that sheds some light on it all!
  • paulchen83
    thanks for the tip. I thought you got that glow effect from a BPR render.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Nah, I went back to Maya for that bit, it's my lowpoly. I do my glow effects for Zbrush sculpts in Photoshop right now, truth be told. There's probably a better way, but I'm not currently enlightened, haha.
  • paulchen83
    hey, was checking back to see if u posted new stuff and saw ur previous post. Don't be discouraged by your efforts. its gonna take a while of studying other people's sculpts and anatomy references and tons of sculpting to get the human anatomy right. it took me 15-18 tries, sculpting over old sculpts and re-sculpting new ones to eventually see an improvement in my work. Hang in there man! a.png
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    IDzLamd.png

No sculpt's recently; indeed not much work done at all. Only my daily sketches. Got a few other things to throw in here but no time at current. Hopefully wont take too long to find the time to upload.

@paulchen: Thank you very much for the encouragement!
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Finally found some time; sheesh.

SoSsuAB.png
    Illustration for a friend's video, which is not yet done. Might add a link when it is :)

grAEhBO.png
    WIP character sketch. Missing his toes and fingers, might plonk them in sometime today maybe. About an hour in Zbrush again, you can tell I'm not yet good friends with hPolish. I'm calling him Hammerhead.

Mostly trying to polish off a few bigger projects, hoping to finish one or two today in fact. Wish me luck!
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator

(EDIT: WAIT I FOUND THE ORIGINAL FILE - 2018 Bagel)

Some Dishonored fanart... sorta. First task for school this year was to create a coin, just to get back into the swing of making assets. I might have gotten a tad side tracked and put together a little scene in Unity.
    The coins are 64 tris each, with 512x512 Diffuse/Normal/Spec, the shelf is 196 tris, with 1024x1024 Diffuse/Normals, and the wall is a modular piece at 20 tris, with tiling 512x512 Diffuse/Normals (Note from 2018: in the re-render, the wall is just two intersecting planes.... where did 20 tris come from!?).

I'm looking forward to working hard and improving this year!

Holidays were a bore though, I slumped and got nothing done at all! Terrible!
    7AxlmnZjpg
    More Dishonored fanart... A WIP from a while ago.
    dill2png
    hayaomoopeffectspng
    Lots of barely colored busts
    RHINOpng
    And a tiny bit of half-finished Warframe Fanart.

Well, here's to the new year!
    w41RZDwpng (i dont know what this image was. assuming an emoji and not looking for it LOL)
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Image hosting being a pain, an image or two have disappeared... Anyone got any good suggestions for hosting?

In the mean time...

I scribbled up a design for an alien species for a story I'm doodling on in my spare time.
    I didn't want to upload these until I'd had time to scan in my concepts but... Technical issues arose.

Additionally, did some super low poly work for fun; topology based on some of Tommy Tallians work.
    I2XZ99E0png
    Currently texturing him in 3D-Coat because I made the terrible mistake of not overlaying the UVs.

kw8uPLa4png
    Sketch based on a Destiny Hunter class concept.

XsVD8hZVpng
    and Sculpting practice... I need a lot more.

And some environments for a school assignment... Which, luckily, I'm not being graded on by the quality of my concept work.

(I found this in the files while I was resizing and??? why didnt I post this one? - 2018 Bagel)

And some more stuff for the story that the alien design is from. Just because I've been working on it a lot.
     3g5HM5PTpng ZDTT1aMrpng

I have to say, for 20 days since I last posted, having this much I'm happy to post feels really good. Gotta step up my game, though.

On that note, as per usual, comments and critique and suggestions would be super appreciated!
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Sketch for Robb Pickering while I sat in on their class today.

Just a daily sculpt. I was trying to make something stylized in a different way than usual.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Okay! Yet another month has rolled past; but it was due to being hung up on that Environment assignment at school. We were so busy getting stuff for it done that I couldn't do any character work nor paintings... Euck.

Other than that, all of the sketches and such that I did manage to complete are for projects that are under wraps right now. Which is sad and frustrating due to me being pretty proud of some of them. Oh well. Eventually I'll get permission to post.

For now, all the stuff I contributed for that Environment.

I rendered these in Toolbag 2, which is awesome, but damn I had some issues. What happened to the Skytool function? I made the skybox in horizontal cross fashion and was running low on time to try and get it into DDS, so that really limited the views I could get on this because Toolbag 2 didn't read it correctly so it was just white above the horizon line...

Secondly, though this is perhaps more my own fault, The reflections weren't working correctly for the water. The houses have a floor piece, but they wouldn't show in the reflection, causing only the outside faces to reflect. and the house to look hollow in the reflection in the water. Didn't matter whether I had backface culling on or not; but the normals were facing correctly regardless. Was really frustrating when paired with the Skybox issues.

Oh well, I learned a lot about materials on this so at least there's that.

Original material testing

Skybox

Finally, I've updated the Cyclops Sculpt and the Sandcritter composite a little for my portfolio.
    6EBBFDnspngGwUT3XF3png
    Thanks to Pablander for the awesome material tutorial, materials, super professional lighting set up examples and composite examples that I used to get a good render out on the Cyclops.
    The Sandcritter was just re-composited and the colors balanced.

And a new icon for everywhere social.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Just another TB2 test; Playing with eyes and skin shaders.
    0Wh6tyX4.png

Mind, this is the straight High-Poly with no Ambient Occlusion, Normals, Roughness or Spec. Just Albedo (roughly pulled from a polypaint). A few minor edits made to enhance AO in Photoshop, and the eyelashes are painted in because she looked odd without them (well, more odd than an earless, hairless stylized girl already does).
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Jf7e4RaZpng
    Sketch to loosen up a bit before school starts up again

WIP cockroach dude. I'm just unwrapping/optimising now (Not to mention that now he has Wings and Antennae)
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    @kinetic
    Thanks!

Making some progress on my Roach; I've sculpted and baked him. A few artifacts in the Cavity and AO maps, but I'll fix them up when I'm doing his textures. This also doubles as a proper materials test.
    L95hgdGCpng

Character silhouettes for my school's character assignment. Having trouble nailing down exactly what I want to do...

A few bust sketches out of boredom from the past week

misc

• BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Finished Roach!

cUjZvBJDpng
    Original concept (from mid last year)
    mLppX4Jxpng
    A few salvaged silhouettes and doodles, plus a sketch from a little while ago (a break from texturing)
    vS717AYfpng
    SQmg0St4png
    SaevP5Cypng
    Beauty renders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKz2Wu2NVQU
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I think I'm finally getting the hang of some of this art stuff.

Quickie alien sculpt (I was going for Intelligent and somewhat amphibious)
    7ZmZnvOlpng

yq1nRmKopng

Cyberpunk concept I'll probably bother sculpting and maybe game-rez'ing sometime.
    RV2yXRhcpng

WIP lowpoly dude
    Pn1ARA9Spng

And some sketches.

• Oskar!
    Offline / Send Message
    Oskar! polycounter lvl 12
    Sweet progress! It's to see your style getting polished:) The skin/eye shader test already had lots of characte in it, are the eyes just poly painted spheres, or did you add some secondary layers to get the nice shine?
  • marcobar
    Offline / Send Message
    marcobar polycounter lvl 4
    Definitely have to agree with Oskar: holy progress, Batman! I looked at a couple of sculpts near the top of the thread and felt kind of neutral about them, only to go "Whoa" when I encountered the reworked versions later on. You've definitely managed to develop a unique style (something I'm working toward myself, so I'm a bit jealous), and the hard work is paying off.
  • ilsem
    Good job! I really like your cyclops and alien sculpts. :) I really see progress here, cool!
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Oskar!: Thanks heaps! The eyes have a secondary layer for accurate shine.

marcobar: Thank you so much! It's nice to hear that sometimes, y'know. I hope I can only continue to get better in the future!

ilsem: I'm happy you like them, they're the ones that are just sort of relaxing for me to do so it's nice to hear they're okay to look at too.

Some more busts :poly142: I can't wait until I get a chance to finish some of my bigger projects so I stop this steady stream of 1-2hr bust sketches. It's just all I have time to do in between school and large personal projects!

I0faWaGBpngwC3xEJWCpng
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Got an Internship at Dreamgate Studios, and I'm super busy! Working on pulling something out of my ass for Petrol/Blood, hoping to maybe get a thread up tonight or at the very least by the weekend.

A commission piece for a friend, Brill.
    ew1lefpZpng
    PoorInnocentKudugif

Revamp of the Sandcritter piece so it's less... creepy. I think the old one is on the last page somewhere if you want to compare. He has eyes now! And less dingy lighting.

And some sketches. Becoming less and less happy with my 2D stuff. Feel like I can't paint at all, and I'm not finishing anything. I might have to start up doing daily painting exercises or something.
  • BagelHero
  • Dayl
    Offline / Send Message
    Dayl polycounter lvl 7
    Beautiful stuff you got going here. Thanks again for taking the time to give me those tips!
  • Twoflower
    Cool stuff! Really dig the target image.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Whoa shit thanks everyone!
    I have been ignoring my sketchbook because of the previously mentioned Internship.

Digging it up because I sketched a sketch that doesn't really fit in my 2D improvement thread. So, uh... here's that.

(I have no idea what this was for real - 2018)

See here for more junk I've been doing:
    PETROL/BLOOD entry
    2D Improvement thread

Seriously, thanks.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey look! In the distance-- more huge WIP, uncropped, uncleaned sketches! (If I knew it was a problem, why didn't I crop them!? - 2018 Bagel)
    These are for a commission, though, so I'll be finishing them up quickly. Might get back to finishing up my PETROL/BLOOD entry once I've done this.

• BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator

Getting this done more slowly than I thought (what a surprise) since we're trying to release the game we're working on on Monday. > __>;; No free time at alllll...
    Gonna finish the flats/basic shading and then do a final pass over this to tighten up the rendering and get rid of a lot of the ugly sketchy lines, lol.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Slow going is still going.
    Finished this commission finally!

And the game I've been working on during my Internship/now am actually working on as a Junior Artist got released to the App Store/Google Play/Windows Phone Store!
    If you like cute little maze-puzzle games, consider picking it up!

Google Play (recommended)

iOS (Fair warning: the game kinda broke a little with the newest update. Be prepared to wait a little while for the patch to get approved, since they broke everyone's releases so everyone is now patching at the same time.)

Windows Phone

Yeah! Okay, now back to my personal painting and probably picking up my Petrol Blood entry to try and get that all polished up.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    So much work, so little personal project time! :poly142: But soon I'll be graduating, and I'll be tightening up my portfolio ASAP. Here are some random scraps until then.

• blackdragonstory
    Offline / Send Message
    blackdragonstory polycounter lvl 9
    Lots of different interesting art - drawings and models :)
    Keep it up!
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    @Blackdragonstory
    Thanks!

Needed to do some random crap for assessment, so I decided to use it as an excuse to learn something I've never actually put into practice fully.

CompetentNeedyChickadee.gif

Much quicker html5 vid version: http://gfycat.com/CompetentNeedyChickadee

Please do not mind the bald-patches, half-finished sideburns and greyskin, the only thing low poly and textured is the hair. :poly142: More just fiddling and working stuff out than anything else. Model sculpted up in 45 minutes, give or take. Hair took some noodling, but I think I'm starting to figure it out.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    W8BWE0ej.jpg
    I did the first set of colors for this gal, but the "NPC" set of colors that I did for the last guy really don't suit her. I'm going to go back and revise them with more of a "rebel" theme in mind, see if I can come up with some more color schemes. :)
  • jhoythottle
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Great thread man! (Subbed)
  • Linkzelda41
    Offline / Send Message
    Linkzelda41 polycounter lvl 3
    Too much cognitive explosion going on in my head, BagelHero! Everything is amazing here, but the commission you did for Brill just caught my eye for some reason. Definitely an inspiration that I can make my flat anthro models more realistic and defined. :)

And subbed.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    @jhoyt: Hey, thanks man!

@Linkzelda41: Haha, that means a lot dude. Super glad that my stuff had anything to do with inspiring someone! Feels good, man.

Beep Boop spitsculpt because I'm rusty as hell (I'm also about to go traveling to do... 2D work of all things, so I felt like I needed to get back into shape and start some good 3D habits before I go). Theme was "Hipster Goblin".
    LMjRMlLD.jpg
    mATdVDx1.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Doing all the things. Hopefully some of them actually get finished. :poly124:
    Also finally finishing that stylized girl from back in April lol. "Finished" the retopo today, but I'm going back and revising the arms and face topology because... well, I did it months ago and I've learned things since then. :thumbup:
    6zWILX8Ejpg

• Chantel-sky
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    I remember seeing that hipster goblin in the fb spitsculpt group, it's pretty good!
    I love your 2D work, Look forward to seeing more :)
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Testing the bake for the girl (not with the final sculpt)-- apparently a lot to fix Oops. Oh well, one step at a time!
    54b4df7d17cbcpng
    (Can't find this one - 2018)
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    54c647087dacbpng
    (Can't find this one either - 2018)

I really need to make some reusable ears. But here's this quick head to keep in shape. Also updated my 2D thread with some paintings.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator

More stuff in my 2D thread. Been doing some work keeping me away from things and stuff.
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Hey dude, you can really see progression in this thread! I like the cyclops in particular, very funky.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Thanks, ncav!

Finally got the LP for this chick sorted.

I was getting a bunch of errors smoothing the mesh in Maya-- 2015 has a lot of bugs in that area. Anyone know if those are fixable, or do I just need to always have a copy of 2014 or Max handy to avoid weird softened normals that won't go away and shade incorrectly? I've been having to export without normals/smoothing and re-import, then I have one chance before I have to re-import again. It's one hell of a bitch.

54df5b0242606png
    (Can't find this one, the return - 2018)

Now I need to go back and finish up the last parts of the sculpt. Might actually manage to finish it ever, that'd be cool.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    All my stuff's been posted in my 2D thread (here, until i can be assed fixing my sig)! A few reasons for that, but mainly laziness ;)
    but I've been chipping away at this li'l kitten here for a while now.

• BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator