Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Head sculpt help! - proportions, accuracy, and more!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Stirls polycounter lvl 8
Heya, PC! Yesterday I posted an astronaut head sculpt/texture and recieved quite a lot of heavy criticism for it, as I should have. I've only ever sculpted a few heads, and said heads weren't the best. Because of that, I spent the last few hours putting this together.

This is my first time sculpting mouths and eye-lids. I know the model isn't perfect, and I'd like any of you to give it a nice dose of that sweet, sweet Polycount deconstruction we all know and love.

I have plans to change the ears, as they're not really looking great to me, as well as making the character look less "gaunt".

4HbL0.jpg

Also plenty of reference used this time, albeit just to get proportions right. Couple of ear, nose, and eye images (and a whooole lot of speed sculpt videos on Youtube).

I do apologise if I'm posting too much, I'm not sure what qualifies as spam on this site.

Replies

• Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
  • arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    I really think you're on the right track, sculpt about 200 more then see where you're at ;)

So, for me, there's basically 2 kinds of sculpting for study.

1) Attempt for anatomical correctness defined by "idealised" proportions. So, sculpting based on what you'd find in anatomy instructions, drawing books etc.

2) Real life studies based on reference. Real people break pretty much all the rules of proportion, and some things appear "wrong" when comparing anatomy texts to RL people, so there can be more sculpting what you see, rather than what you think is there (with more technical studies though, it will make more and more sense).

I would do lots of type 1 to nail planes, forms and proportions. Then do type 2 to learn how the art instruction meshes with real life practice.

Anyway, this is just my experience, take it or leave it, and I'm sure other people will have their own advice.

Lastly, a couple quick tips:

-IMO the brow area is the biggest thing to nail to really get things looking okay. Study the shit out of what's going on in the brow range bones, like the glabella, zygomatic(cheek) bones, the temporal lines and the main planes of the forehead

-Mouths are another really tricky area. Go to youtube and search "Rick Casali - Sculpting the Mouth". It will make a lot more sense. The main thing you're lacking in the mouth atm is any sense of depth in the corners of the lips.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks!

Yeah, I intend on making lots of these. I see stuff online where people sculpt a great looking face in a few minutes without too many hiccups and it just blows my mind.

I'll do lots of type one as you said. This is super helpful!
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Dug a lot deeper than surface anatomy. If I'm gonna learn everything, might was well start with certain parts of the skeleton. The model isn't perfect, but that's why I make lots of different ones! To learn!

Three hour sculpt. Plenty of it needs work, and the mandible is non-existent but hey! Getting there!

Skull+1.png