Home Technical Talk

TB2 beta thread

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »
    You don't support vertex colors then ? For mesh from zBrush it would be great to be able to use the PolyPaint as a diffuse slot.

Vertex colors are not supported yet but this is something we will likely add (or at least look into) down the road sometime.
    Nosslak wrote: »
    Do TB2 support boxmapping/tri-planar mapping for textures? I've just recently started using Keyshot and that's what they use to apply textures when rendering materials such as wood without forcing the user to UV-unwrap the mesh. It would be great to be able to do this in TB2 as well, as Keyshot is a bit slow for my taste (maybe I just need a beefier CPU). Maybe box-mapping could be the default option if a mesh is detected that have no UV-coordinates.

I'm not part of the beta so maybe this is already implemented.

TB2 currently only supports importing of artist created UVS. There are no automatic mapping features available. If there is a lot of interest in this its something we could look into in the future.
    melviso wrote: »
    Nice renders guys,I wanted to ask can one render animations from marmoset toolbag or u have to use a screen capture device.

Currently there is no video export option in TB2. You can export a turntable as a series of images and composite them into a video with an video editing app. TB2 does not support animated meshes yet and will not as a day one feature. However, animation is something we plan on giving more attention in future updates.

Krot_Art wrote: »
    guys
    do you planing to add a support for some particle effects in Marmoset Toolbag 2 ?
    or in the future ?

There is not currently support for particle effects in TB2. This is something we may look into in the future if there is a lot of interest but there are no immediate plans to add support for particle effects.

As always, thanks for the input guys!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    EQ was kind enough to share this with me:

b2skin01.jpg

it's my elf guy in a newer build than i'm using. skin shader on the left, standard lambert on the right. can't wait to play around with it!
  • Autarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autarkis polycounter lvl 8
    that new SSS shader looks pretty sweet. Can't wait for the open beta to start up :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i got the new build, two mins of fucking around produced this:

OviqAHj.jpg

new skin shader is really nice guys, fantastic work.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Im slightly confused now, is there no gloss for non metals anymore?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it's under microsurface.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whoops im a dumb ass
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    nah it threw me at first as well :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NEW BUILD Toolbag 2.0 b2 is out!

If you’re in the beta program you should get an email notification about the new build with download links. If you’ve got a build already, launch it and you should get a prompt to update (if you do not get a prompt, check your firewall/anti-virus settings and make sure internet access is granted for toolbag.exe, or follow the link in the email to the manual update download).

We’ve changed/added a bunch of stuff, including a revamped skin shader, tweaks to the UI and general usability, re-organized the material editor for improved flexibility, metalness reflectivity mode, object visibility, ao/cavity map support, detail normal map support, and much more. Check the full list of changes here:

Toolbag 2 beta 2 changelog

Some notes:
    • The material system re-order will break existing scene files. The scenes will still open, but you may need to set up your materials again (the materials should still be assigned to the appropriate mesh chunks.
    • We still have some general scale issues, we have ideas that we’re working on to deal with it, however, please bear with us for the moment. You may notice that some of the settings in the skin shader are very scale-dependent. If the skin shader looks borked, check your mesh scale. A quick way to check mesh scale is to move your mesh around in the viewport and then check the numbers in the transform tab of the object properties - if the numbers say something like 1243 units, try scaling your mesh down in your 3d app and re-importing it.

Thank you guys so much for the feedback you’ve given so far, and as always, let us know what you think!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im slightly confused now, is there no gloss for non metals anymore?

As Lee says its under microsurface now. We've changed things up a bit, hopefully once people get used to it it will make a little more sense. We wanted to go with more physically accurate descriptions for some of the parameters. On a technical level these changes will also give us some extra flexibility when adding new shader models.
  • eyedrinkvenom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys

New to Toolbag and the beta as I come from the other side of the rendering fence. Just took my first stab at Marmoset for OS X. Hoping I may be able to use it in my pipeline for testing before hopping into RenderMan. Here's some initial, random feedback.

I'm testing this on an older 8-core Mac Pro, 32GB RAM, OS X 10.8.4 with a Quadro 4000 card and get pretty fast feedback. Definitely slows with DOF and 2:1 rendering which is expected. I'm sure with a K5000 or a titan on a modern system (or more than one of each) it would really scream.

I love that it has the same camera controls as Maya. Easy transition.

To speed up interaction with heavy scenes, maybe allow for wireframe mode and a basic shaded mode. This could be enabled permanently with a UI control, or as a preference like "Adaptive Interaction" or something like that, and then you could choose whether to use wireframe or a shaded mode for when moving the camera. This would be a way to speed up the scene without having to turn any of your settings off and still get fast feedback.

Definitely need an UNDO command.

It's awkward to me to have the file menu built into the UI instead of normal Mac apps which use the menu on top of the screen, though I would use key commands as well.

I would also make use of a toolbar I could move around on the top, bottom, left or right of the camera view, basically a customizable dock for saving and opening files, importing, adding lights, toggling sky rendering, toggling wireframe, etc.

Moving around UI panels would also be beneficial. I do this in Maya and Adobe Apps constantly depending on what I'm doing at the moment.

I would like to also see some kind of file saving feedback somewhere in the UI. It doesn't need to be obtrusive, just some simple progress indicator that ends with "save complete" would be fine for me (think of Photoshop's version of this progress and * after file names for unsaved files).

Shadow Size/Softness doesn't seem to blur much on my end. Seems more like an exponential curve which only becomes noticeable around a value of 3 and then shoots up until you reach the end of the slider.

In the Scene Panel, nodes should become active when you click the gray bar that they are listed in, not just by clicking the icon. We should also be able to adjust the size of the UI font (and hence the vertical size of those gray areas) either globally or individually. It's a bit small on my 30" monitor.

Options that open in new windows such as "Capture Settings" are slow to interact with and directly related to how jacked up the settings are for the camera view. If not in full screen, dragging these windows to the very edge of the UI and allowing your cursor to go outside of it, when you return the cursor to the UI there is a pixel gap between the cursor and the settings window.

Shader options below Horizon Occlusion are empty (I assume those just haven't been added yet). Looking forward to subdivisions, emission and displacement.

Another useful feature would be an auto-generated ground plane inside of Toolbag. This would save a step if we are testing out individual objects and characters for exporting from our host app and then importing into Toolbag. I would see this working with the following options:

• scale
    • color (or just be able to apply a shader like imported geo)
    • location (world 0, or minimum Y of all geometry in scene
    • optional manual positioning with manipulators in camera view

As one of the recent posts stated, I could also benefit from auto-mapping. Since my end result is RenderMan, some of the shaders I would build in Slim would be for objects that don't have any UVs (or certain shader channels don't) and use various projections for procedural textures and imported maps. I also use spline, ramp and remap nodes frequently.

I would also like to see some better viewport feedback for lights, and maybe a control like maya with light aims (hitting the T key when a light is selected). Right now there is just a manipulator. It should show cone angle and penumbra and something to indicate direction. Option for spot, point, distant and area would also be great.

Scaling objects might not be needed much but couldn't hurt to allow for it in the transform controls.

Some HUD display would help also so we can keep track of polycounts, number of objects, framerate, number of shaders, cam settings of our choice, maybe an axis, and the choice to burn the HUD into renders for comparison.

Could also be cool to allow for setting presets, so we could save a bunch of camera and lighting settings (and setups) and quickly switch between them and even restore them in new projects.

Would also be very cool if using DOF to have a control that would snap to geometry so we could accurately set the focus distance. I do this in Maya by using a distance measure tool— I snap one locator to the geo, parent the other locator to the camera, and connect the distance value to the focus distance of the cam shape so it auto updates even if it moves. Multiple locators would be even better so we could toggle through them. Not a mandatory deal-breaker by any means but since the DOF feature is in there would be cool if we had a fast way to set it up with accuracy and save settings.

So that's my first take on the software. Seems promising. Since it's geared to games I didn't bother requesting anything to outside of that realm such as exporting base shaders for RenderMan or anything like that. With some more tools and animation features I could possibly see using this as a testing tool when doing concepts and rough previews of objects and scenes. I have only tried importing OBJ files so not sure of Maya file support.

thanks
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    New skin shader looks sweet :)

Been messing a bit with the metal map, really interesting, going to keep looking into it since it's pretty new to me.

Still a small bug that I have mentioned before, materials not appearing when importing a mesh before clicking the material container, nothing serious though.

yBSJC42.jpg

Edit: Does the metal map mean we can't use colored spec anymore?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: Does the metal map mean we can't use colored spec anymore?

Not at all, you can use the standard specular model for the reflectivity slot, with full color spec maps.

Metalness is an optional, separate reflection model that takes a diffuse, and a "metalness" map instead of a specular map, the metalness map denotes which areas of your material are metal, and pulls the specular color from the albedo map.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the explanation :)
    Really liking the metalness map, think I will use it more than the standard model, great choice!
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    The new skin shader looks very sweet so far!
    Still learning but it's getting somewhere really fast!
    So far tho the hair really doesn't look that great on my side, Not sure if there is a way to work with my alpha to optimize the result.
    Plus 2 sided would be pretty neat (I know it was brought up before)
    first image, ellie in Marmoset 1
    second image in Marmoset 2, skin shader comparison
    w9mYiVF.jpg

I think its been brought up too before but i'm getting some artifact sometimes like the outline of the eye showing up etc etc
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    would love to get into the beta ;)
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Nevermind about the hair, Was using Cutout instead of Dithered. It look completly broken in the viewport but once rendered that one look way better.
    Still it could be interesting to get alpha softening or something?
    SxkI227.jpg
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one thing ive noticed immediately is that dragging and dropping materials onto mesh names can accidentally toggle the hide/unhide mesh. D:
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    nothing fancy, just old asset in new TB2. skin is just flat colors mostly just for test.

SummerTB2_01.jpg

love the SSR, scene management and ability to group things. very helpful. loving the new material system as well as many of the new material/map options.

things that would be nice to have including old features that seems to be missing from TB1:

1. double sided (any material should have this option)

2. refraction shader

3. transparency dithering still not smooth enough (even with 2:1 render scale) may be add 4:1 render option for direct screenshot output ?

4. parallax

5. viewport filters (color correction)

6. hair shader

anyways, this looks awesome so far :)
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Anyone experienced some Issue with the transparency ?
    qV9uJQ7.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    oh shit, tits! you done gone and broke it!

kGEn3rF.jpg

okay i'm gonna stop fucking around with this shader and finish the rest of this guy now haha!
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys so happy i got into the beta :) first i have to congratulate the marmoset team you guys did an amazing job just from what i was able to try specially the lighting!

so here is my first stab at it

screenshot000.jpg

So now its time for feedback

1. scenes appear to save with the materials but image files are missing even when exported and later imported again (i am using tga)

2. field of view seems to mess with the mesh causing some problems like shadows and lighting clipping its minor though

3. the skin shader is great although the subdermis map and scatter don't seem to do much or maybe i am doing something wrong...

4. no double sided yet

5. no anysotropic yet

6. would be nice to get some sort of click to auto focus

7. some clipping issues with meshes

8. fresnel doesn't seem to work very well or at least i wasnt noticing much in my scene.

but overall i am really impressed specially regarding lighting! i will be able to give better feedback once i can actually mess with everything for longer

Edit: i kinda also miss the chromatic aberration feature xD and i also like that before when you created a light it would appear in front of the camera already aiming where the camera was looking at
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Just had a quick go with it.

Question first:
    For PBR going from these images
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1929504&postcount=103

in wich of the three textures (diff/spec/gloss) you have to to check sRGB.
    And also there are some other images like these floating around that have different values for linear and gamma, wich one of the two do you use.

Just want to make sure I'm doing it correct :)

On to some early testing, nothing to spectacular, just took some old stuff and quickly threw it in there to get accustomed to it.
    Very impressive, even without using pbr, definatly a nice upgrade over marmoset1.

Imported a highpoly as a test (made sure to add some subdivision, was at 7mil poly's when exporting)
    -Even at 2:1 the performance is very good (ati 7950, so a midrange card).
    only when turning on local reflections there was a noticable slowdown, but that is to be expected :)

-There does seem to be a couple of small artifacts that only show up in toolbag, not sure where they are coming from.

-Is there a way to assign a material to all mesh chunks at once, or select multiple pieces of the model
    maybe not as important on a lowpoly, but on a high that has a lot of parts, it would be handy.
    You can select them in the scene tab, but can't find a way to apply a material to those.

750q.png

Other things:

-If I choose 3dsmax tangent space it automatically flips the green channel, but the "flip Y" in the material doesn't change.
    Especially because I had that checked before, it took me some seconds to figure out what was goin on.
    Maybe just check "flip green" checkbox when a material that is on a mesh with max tangent space to keep things clear/correct?

-Maybe there is one, but I haven't seen it
    Kind of annoying when you hide the UI while texturing to always have to make it visible again to change the sky, especially now in TB2 that the presets button has gotten quite small.
    Is there a possibility to add one/two hotkeys that toggle through the available sky presets.
    Or maybe some sort of rts like system where you can hotkey certain light setups to 12345 keys.

-View->Fullscreen
    My taskbar stays visible, and the top part of the marmoset window gets cut off just enough that half of the text isn't visible in the top bar.

-Larger feature request:
    As a program that is mainly for presentation, something I would think is pretty handy is to be able to animate the camera along a spline/switch between camera's/and being able to change some DOF values instead of just a simple turntable.

and just some quick tests with some old assets I always like to use when trying something new.
    ead5.png
    vewt.png

EDIT:

Something I'm not to sure about is the current noise.
    In the comparison image you can see that the dDo previewer feels much more natural, especially when not in a still image, because there is a lot of movement in it.
    While the marmoset one, basicly just feels like a B/W photoshop noise multiplied on top.

pba3.jpg
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Saw the update and thought it had gone into open beta :( Looking great though :D
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Hehe, I twitched as well, but unfortunately not. Love the look of that new skin shader.
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    testing some more, i actually found a weird bug with the local reflections where the mesh started gradually turning black i will try to reproduce it again but it seems to only happen when i open 2 characters in the same scene for some reason.

so here is a comparison between marmoset 1 and 2 the only difference in the maps is that i removed the AO from the diffuse and i find the results astounding i am going to keep messing with it see what i can get.

Marmoset 1:
    screenshot31.jpg

Marmoset 2
    alien_marmo2.jpg

i am still using old gen maps techniques so what i really want to test is doing a character from the ground up for marmoset 2 which i think will look much better, i am hoping i will be able to Finish my new character in time to try this before the beta ends. curious to see how much my workflow will end up changing

Beta feedback:

I just realized the light system lacks any kind of visual feedback in regards to light direction, cone angle etc... this would be a great addition has its really hard to mess with the lights at the moment, i would also like if it was possible to drag the lights instead of just being able to use the widget to move in one axis at a time.

a system that adds actual glow would be great, either that or a separate bloom pass

Materials that are duplicated or even materials that were loaded with a scene will sometimes behave differently or not present the same render qualities it used to i will try to reproduce this with screens later.

i hope that helps
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Some stuff I was playing with last night, I need to make something new to really test this out I think :)

CwBjeZJ.png
    W0y6qHe.png

An indicator when something has a material applied to it would be super. maybe the polygon icon changes color or something.

When dragging materials I accidentally turn a meshes viability off sometimes.

Already been said but I will add more fuel to the fire an Anisotropic shader would be super :)

I really miss the tool tips from Toolbag 1

It would be great if there was some type of universal user preference setting for tangent basis. Having to set it for every individual chunk can be a pain especially when I almost only ever bake out normals from xnormal.

Some sort of universal setting for shadow blur would be nice too I find myself using the same values for most of the lights shadows. It would be nice to have those same values on lock and then tweak individually from there if I so choose.

Size indicators for light radius like in toolbag 1. Right now Im adjusting by eye and that little visual indicator would really help.

Mesh flashes when you select the chunk from the scene organizer like in in toolbag 1. Sometimes I miss naming a chunk or two before export, so being able to tell what is named what when I click on it's name would help.

Refractive shaders for eyes and glass please.

Not a suggestion but I just want to say thank you for having quad wireframes now. Made me grin like an idiot when I saw my edge flow.

Currently when I click lifghts on an environment, switch to a differnt environment and then switch back to the first one, the lights I placed are gone. would be great if tb2 remebered where I placed those lights.

Two sided alphas :)

An on off switch for textures that I have applied to a material. I like to see if things like spec are working like I want by turning them off and on, right now the only way to do that is by slider dragging or deleting the textures. Some type of on/off check box would make this a bit less cumbersome.

A preferred location setting for the open file window for scene files and textures, would be awesome if it was tied to the scene Im working in. Sort of like a setting up a project file in max/maya.

Currently I'm getting some zfighting (I think) in the second screenshot, I didn't get any of that in Toolbag 1. I know its being worked on, but just thought I would say it anyway.

Having said ALL of that... This program is frickin SWEET! Love the skin shader and how sexy it makes everything look!
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    evening all.

Today I was schooled in being bloody amazing at skinshaders By Gir. Hurrah for the update and hurrah for lee too....it has been ace.

still work to do on the maps but a quick comparison between TB2 and newTB2+Gir

olga%20wip%20018%20compare.jpg

Is there a switch to turn on and off lights in the scene like the old enable checkbox in TB1?

Is it possible to not have shadows blur in the skinshader at the point of occlusion...that probably doesn't make sense...the shadow under the cap is blurring at all edges at the moment, rather than staying solid where the cap hits the head, is probably a better way of putting it...and yeah as tits noted the transparency for TGa and PSD is still broke :(

Finally huge appreciation for the work on the translucence and the alpha they are both amazing!! Sky based translucence...dear god!
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Doh, had the same reaction as Optinium and CW. Can't wait for open beta :) I foresee lots of metal things in the future xD

"UI art improved 937%"
    That's quite accurate ^^
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    i was wondering have you guys considered adding global Illumination? i am just asking cause i know that Crysis 3 and BF 3 use it and was wondering if you guys ever thought about it, would allow for some crazy lighting :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys

New to Toolbag and the beta as I come from the other side of the rendering fence. Just took my first stab at Marmoset for OS X. Hoping I may be able to use it in my pipeline for testing before hopping into RenderMan. Here's some initial, random feedback.

I'm testing this on an older 8-core Mac Pro, 32GB RAM, OS X 10.8.4 with a Quadro 4000 card and get pretty fast feedback. Definitely slows with DOF and 2:1 rendering which is expected. I'm sure with a K5000 or a titan on a modern system (or more than one of each) it would really scream.

First off, thanks for the detailed feedback! I'm going to respond to a few points here.
    I love that it has the same camera controls as Maya. Easy transition.

To speed up interaction with heavy scenes, maybe allow for wireframe mode and a basic shaded mode. This could be enabled permanently with a UI control, or as a preference like "Adaptive Interaction" or something like that, and then you could choose whether to use wireframe or a shaded mode for when moving the camera. This would be a way to speed up the scene without having to turn any of your settings off and still get fast feedback.

Definitely need an UNDO command.

It's awkward to me to have the file menu built into the UI instead of normal Mac apps which use the menu on top of the screen, though I would use key commands as well.

I would also make use of a toolbar I could move around on the top, bottom, left or right of the camera view, basically a customizable dock for saving and opening files, importing, adding lights, toggling sky rendering, toggling wireframe, etc.

Moving around UI panels would also be beneficial. I do this in Maya and Adobe Apps constantly depending on what I'm doing at the moment.

I would like to also see some kind of file saving feedback somewhere in the UI. It doesn't need to be obtrusive, just some simple progress indicator that ends with "save complete" would be fine for me (think of Photoshop's version of this progress and * after file names for unsaved files).

Shadow Size/Softness doesn't seem to blur much on my end. Seems more like an exponential curve which only becomes noticeable around a value of 3 and then shoots up until you reach the end of the slider.
    Shadow size/soften is directly related to scale for now, so if you have a mesh that is very large the size slider may not do much. Try entering a numeric value higher than the slider allows, or scaling your mesh down.

Scale in general is something we're working on.
    In the Scene Panel, nodes should become active when you click the gray bar that they are listed in, not just by clicking the icon. We should also be able to adjust the size of the UI font (and hence the vertical size of those gray areas) either globally or individually. It's a bit small on my 30" monitor.

Options that open in new windows such as "Capture Settings" are slow to interact with and directly related to how jacked up the settings are for the camera view. If not in full screen, dragging these windows to the very edge of the UI and allowing your cursor to go outside of it, when you return the cursor to the UI there is a pixel gap between the cursor and the settings window.

Shader options below Horizon Occlusion are empty (I assume those just haven't been added yet). Looking forward to subdivisions, emission and displacement.
    The most common shader options are open by default. Click the little up/down arrow icon on the far right to select a shader mode, sub-division, emissive, displacement etc is all available in the current build. If no shader mode is selected the cell will not expand.
    Another useful feature would be an auto-generated ground plane inside of Toolbag. This would save a step if we are testing out individual objects and characters for exporting from our host app and then importing into Toolbag. I would see this working with the following options:

• scale
    • color (or just be able to apply a shader like imported geo)
    • location (world 0, or minimum Y of all geometry in scene
    • optional manual positioning with manipulators in camera view

As one of the recent posts stated, I could also benefit from auto-mapping. Since my end result is RenderMan, some of the shaders I would build in Slim would be for objects that don't have any UVs (or certain shader channels don't) and use various projections for procedural textures and imported maps. I also use spline, ramp and remap nodes frequently.

I would also like to see some better viewport feedback for lights, and maybe a control like maya with light aims (hitting the T key when a light is selected). Right now there is just a manipulator. It should show cone angle and penumbra and something to indicate direction. Option for spot, point, distant and area would also be great.

Scaling objects might not be needed much but couldn't hurt to allow for it in the transform controls.

Some HUD display would help also so we can keep track of polycounts, number of objects, framerate, number of shaders, cam settings of our choice, maybe an axis, and the choice to burn the HUD into renders for comparison.

Could also be cool to allow for setting presets, so we could save a bunch of camera and lighting settings (and setups) and quickly switch between them and even restore them in new projects.
    Currently you can't save camera or light presets, but you can save post FX presets, which may be useful to you.
    Would also be very cool if using DOF to have a control that would snap to geometry so we could accurately set the focus distance. I do this in Maya by using a distance measure tool— I snap one locator to the geo, parent the other locator to the camera, and connect the distance value to the focus distance of the cam shape so it auto updates even if it moves. Multiple locators would be even better so we could toggle through them. Not a mandatory deal-breaker by any means but since the DOF feature is in there would be cool if we had a fast way to set it up with accuracy and save settings.

So that's my first take on the software. Seems promising. Since it's geared to games I didn't bother requesting anything to outside of that realm such as exporting base shaders for RenderMan or anything like that. With some more tools and animation features I could possibly see using this as a testing tool when doing concepts and rough previews of objects and scenes. I have only tried importing OBJ files so not sure of Maya file support.

thanks
    Thanks again!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits wrote: »
    Nevermind about the hair, Was using Cutout instead of Dithered. It look completly broken in the viewport but once rendered that one look way better.
    Still it could be interesting to get alpha softening or something?
    SxkI227.jpg

Looking great Marie!

Yeah the dithered transparency should be way better for hair than cutout. I think the dithered thing is still a bit off-putting to people because its pretty noisey in the viewport, but for exported shots it should look really good, especially with high sampling. You can render it out extra large and size down in photoshop for even better alpha.
    Tits wrote: »
    Anyone experienced some Issue with the transparency ?

Yeah unfortunately there are still a few bugs related to transparency mask exporting. We've got them noted here and on our buglist.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    nothing fancy, just old asset in new TB2. skin is just flat colors mostly just for test.

SummerTB2_01.jpg

love the SSR, scene management and ability to group things. very helpful. loving the new material system as well as many of the new material/map options.

things that would be nice to have including old features that seems to be missing from TB1:

1. double sided (any material should have this option)

2. refraction shader

3. transparency dithering still not smooth enough (even with 2:1 render scale) may be add 4:1 render option for direct screenshot output ?

4. parallax

5. viewport filters (color correction)

6. hair shader

anyways, this looks awesome so far :)

Hey dude, this looks great!

When you say transparency dithering still not smooth enough, are you referring to the viewport or for exported screenshots?

If you haven't tried it, make sure to go to capture -> settings and set up the image export, and then you can capture a HQ sampled screenshot to clipboard, to an image, and to an image + open in image editor.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur wrote: »
    Hey guys so happy i got into the beta :) first i have to congratulate the marmoset team you guys did an amazing job just from what i was able to try specially the lighting!

so here is my first stab at it

screenshot000.jpg

So now its time for feedback

1. scenes appear to save with the materials but image files are missing even when exported and later imported again (i am using tga)

2. field of view seems to mess with the mesh causing some problems like shadows and lighting clipping its minor though

3. the skin shader is great although the subdermis map and scatter don't seem to do much or maybe i am doing something wrong...

4. no double sided yet

5. no anysotropic yet

6. would be nice to get some sort of click to auto focus

7. some clipping issues with meshes

8. fresnel doesn't seem to work very well or at least i wasnt noticing much in my scene.

but overall i am really impressed specially regarding lighting! i will be able to give better feedback once i can actually mess with everything for longer

Edit: i kinda also miss the chromatic aberration feature xD and i also like that before when you created a light it would appear in front of the camera already aiming where the camera was looking at

Thanks for the feedback!

The skin shader/shadows are very scale dependent, so if the sliders in the skin shader don't seem to do a whole lot, try check your mesh scale.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv wrote: »
    Just had a quick go with it.

Question first:
    For PBR going from these images
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1929504&postcount=103

in wich of the three textures (diff/spec/gloss) you have to to check sRGB.
    And also there are some other images like these floating around that have different values for linear and gamma, wich one of the two do you use.

Just want to make sure I'm doing it correct :)

Actually you should be able to do this as you please. If you check the options box per input you can select weather or not to use sRGB color space per image. This is something that may vary depending on studio/shader/etc, so we support both ways.
    On to some early testing, nothing to spectacular, just took some old stuff and quickly threw it in there to get accustomed to it.
    Very impressive, even without using pbr, definatly a nice upgrade over marmoset1.

Imported a highpoly as a test (made sure to add some subdivision, was at 7mil poly's when exporting)
    -Even at 2:1 the performance is very good (ati 7950, so a midrange card).
    only when turning on local reflections there was a noticable slowdown, but that is to be expected :)
    Sweet, that looks really cool!
    -There does seem to be a couple of small artifacts that only show up in toolbag, not sure where they are coming from.
    I've noticed that minor sub-d smoothing/pinching artifacts tend to show up more in Toolbag than they do in Modo. I think cube maps in general tend to bring out these artifacts more than basic lighting setups, but please feel free to post a couple images to show the specific issue you're having.
    -Is there a way to assign a material to all mesh chunks at once, or select multiple pieces of the model
    maybe not as important on a lowpoly, but on a high that has a lot of parts, it would be handy.
    You can select them in the scene tab, but can't find a way to apply a material to those.
    Yes actually, there are two ways:
    1. If all meshes are in a group, drag the material onto the group item in the scene list.
    2. Select all meshes you wish to apply the material to, select the material in the material editor, and hit the apply button in the upper right corner.

Other things:

-If I choose 3dsmax tangent space it automatically flips the green channel, but the "flip Y" in the material doesn't change.
    Especially because I had that checked before, it took me some seconds to figure out what was goin on.
    Maybe just check "flip green" checkbox when a material that is on a mesh with max tangent space to keep things clear/correct?

-Maybe there is one, but I haven't seen it
    Kind of annoying when you hide the UI while texturing to always have to make it visible again to change the sky, especially now in TB2 that the presets button has gotten quite small.
    Is there a possibility to add one/two hotkeys that toggle through the available sky presets.
    Or maybe some sort of rts like system where you can hotkey certain light setups to 12345 keys.
    There is no way to toggle through skies/lighting presets ATM. You can use shift to rotate the sky, and you can drag lights into the sky group to parent them to the sky, and they will rotate along with the sky. Not sure if that is of any help to you.
    -View->Fullscreen
    My taskbar stays visible, and the top part of the marmoset window gets cut off just enough that half of the text isn't visible in the top bar.

-Larger feature request:
    As a program that is mainly for presentation, something I would think is pretty handy is to be able to animate the camera along a spline/switch between camera's/and being able to change some DOF values instead of just a simple turntable.

We currently do not have support for animation of any kind, but this is something we will look at in the future.
    and just some quick tests with some old assets I always like to use when trying something new.

EDIT:

Something I'm not to sure about is the current noise.
    In the comparison image you can see that the dDo previewer feels much more natural, especially when not in a still image, because there is a lot of movement in it.
    While the marmoset one, basicly just feels like a B/W photoshop noise multiplied on top.
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur wrote: »
    testing some more, i actually found a weird bug with the local reflections where the mesh started gradually turning black i will try to reproduce it again but it seems to only happen when i open 2 characters in the same scene for some reason.

This is interesting, if you can find a way to reproduce it please let me know.
    so here is a comparison between marmoset 1 and 2 the only difference in the maps is that i removed the AO from the diffuse and i find the results astounding i am going to keep messing with it see what i can get.

Marmoset 1:

Marmoset 2

i am still using old gen maps techniques so what i really want to test is doing a character from the ground up for marmoset 2 which i think will look much better, i am hoping i will be able to Finish my new character in time to try this before the beta ends. curious to see how much my workflow will end up changing

Beta feedback:

I just realized the light system lacks any kind of visual feedback in regards to light direction, cone angle etc... this would be a great addition has its really hard to mess with the lights at the moment, i would also like if it was possible to drag the lights instead of just being able to use the widget to move in one axis at a time.

Yeah this just isn't in there at all, its on the todo list but didn't make the cut for this update. This needs some love and will get it.
    a system that adds actual glow would be great, either that or a separate bloom pass

Materials that are duplicated or even materials that were loaded with a scene will sometimes behave differently or not present the same render qualities it used to i will try to reproduce this with screens later.

i hope that helps

Yeah if you can reproduce that material bug or have specific files that are doing it please email either me personally or our general support at the email addresses posted in the OP.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Small suggestion, to make sure people are using proper scaling maybe have a checkbox option by the scale to show one of those jail height chart things. Since shadows and skin shader are scale dependent.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo wrote: »
    Some stuff I was playing with last night, I need to make something new to really test this out I think :)

An indicator when something has a material applied to it would be super. maybe the polygon icon changes color or something.

Could you expand on this a little? By default, all meshes have a material assigned to them (the default material). We've been thinking about some ways to make it a little more clear which materials are assigned to which mesh chunks, is that generally your issue here?
    When dragging materials I accidentally turn a meshes viability off sometimes.
    That's an interesting one, that happens with one mesh click or do you simply accidentally click the vis toggle while doing it? Edit: Nevermind, I see the bug here too, noted!

One thing you can do in the meantime is drag materials directly onto mesh chunks in the viewport. This is pretty accurate, but won't work if one mesh is inside another mesh of course.
    Already been said but I will add more fuel to the fire an Anisotropic shader would be super :)

I really miss the tool tips from Toolbag 1
    Yeah these will come back at some point, everything has been in a stage of flux so documentation is minimal/nonexistent so far.
    It would be great if there was some type of universal user preference setting for tangent basis. Having to set it for every individual chunk can be a pain especially when I almost only ever bake out normals from xnormal.

Some sort of universal setting for shadow blur would be nice too I find myself using the same values for most of the lights shadows. It would be nice to have those same values on lock and then tweak individually from there if I so choose.

Size indicators for light radius like in toolbag 1. Right now Im adjusting by eye and that little visual indicator would really help.

Mesh flashes when you select the chunk from the scene organizer like in in toolbag 1. Sometimes I miss naming a chunk or two before export, so being able to tell what is named what when I click on it's name would help.

Refractive shaders for eyes and glass please.

Not a suggestion but I just want to say thank you for having quad wireframes now. Made me grin like an idiot when I saw my edge flow.

Currently when I click lifghts on an environment, switch to a differnt environment and then switch back to the first one, the lights I placed are gone. would be great if tb2 remebered where I placed those lights.

Two sided alphas :)

An on off switch for textures that I have applied to a material. I like to see if things like spec are working like I want by turning them off and on, right now the only way to do that is by slider dragging or deleting the textures. Some type of on/off check box would make this a bit less cumbersome.

A preferred location setting for the open file window for scene files and textures, would be awesome if it was tied to the scene Im working in. Sort of like a setting up a project file in max/maya.

Currently I'm getting some zfighting (I think) in the second screenshot, I didn't get any of that in Toolbag 1. I know its being worked on, but just thought I would say it anyway.

Having said ALL of that... This program is frickin SWEET! Love the skin shader and how sexy it makes everything look!
    Awesome, glad to hear you're liking it. Thanks for the feedback. A lot of the stuff you mention is on our todo list.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the response/answers :)
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    but please feel free to post a couple images to show the specific issue you're having.

Found out the cause, I was exporting as quads in max, exporting as triangles solved it.
    Just in case this what I was referring to:
    http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4210/6p50.jpg
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    There is no way to toggle through skies/lighting presets ATM.
    I was indeed referring to actually toggling trough them, not rotating the sky itself.
    I'll hope that I am not the only one that wants that, or you guys feel it's important enough to add. :)
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    I was supposed to get a lot of work done today... but thanks to you guys at 8 monkey labs I was distracted quite a bit! But somehow I feel it was worth it. :)

Man you guys are awesome, keep up the amazing work!

Here's what I got after a bit of playing around with the new Skin shader. I'd love to see some documentation on the skin shader because right now I'm just sorta trying out a bunch of random stuff but I'd love to know how each slot is working so I know how to use it to it's fullest instead of guessing like I am now.

The new Skin setup is awesome, I feel like I'm stumbling around in the dark with it right now, the previous setup was very close (in terms of the UI) to what I was used to working with in mental ray. (Weather or not the results of the slots and sliders were the same I don't really know.)

Note: maybe I'm going crazy but I think after installing beta 2 all of the backgrounds appear at a lower resolution then before.

I'll post more feedback soon but I'm out of time for now! I've also posted my settings for anyone who's curious.

i0l1GetwFO8ad.jpg
    ik25Z6GQCxc7d.jpg

EDIT:

Minor adjustments and finally made a proper gloss map for this guy. Once you guys add in refraction I'm going to give this guy some proper next gen eyes :) right now they look like fake glass eyes :P ohhh I can't wait!
    iRQ2Kn8vt3LzP.jpg
  • FancyJames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man I wish I could test it out, cant wait for public beta!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. wrote: »
    evening all.

Today I was schooled in being bloody amazing at skinshaders By Gir. Hurrah for the update and hurrah for lee too....it has been ace.

still work to do on the maps but a quick comparison between TB2 and newTB2+Gir

olga%20wip%20018%20compare.jpg

Is there a switch to turn on and off lights in the scene like the old enable checkbox in TB1?

Is it possible to not have shadows blur in the skinshader at the point of occlusion...that probably doesn't make sense...the shadow under the cap is blurring at all edges at the moment, rather than staying solid where the cap hits the head, is probably a better way of putting it...and yeah as tits noted the transparency for TGa and PSD is still broke :(

Finally huge appreciation for the work on the translucence and the alpha they are both amazing!! Sky based translucence...dear god!

Hey dude, that is looking much improved with the new shader. I think its a bit desaturated though but that may be the lighting.

There is a toggle for light visibility now, actually for all objects in the scene list, to the right of each object is a little eyeball icon you can click to toggle vis.

About the shadows, I'll have to check but I think the shadow blurring in a post process, possibly in screen space on the standard shadow data, which means it probably won't be possible for it to behave as you suggest. One thing you can try is to turn down shadow bluring in skin shader a bit and try turning up the light size/softness in the individual lights to soften them, which should respect the correct penumbra behavior.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Small suggestion, to make sure people are using proper scaling maybe have a checkbox option by the scale to show one of those jail height chart things. Since shadows and skin shader are scale dependent.

Yeah, the scale reference dude from TB1 will probably have to make an appearance.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv wrote: »
    Thanks for the response/answers :)
    No problem!
    Found out the cause, I was exporting as quads in max, exporting as triangles solved it.
    Just in case this what I was referring to:
    http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4210/6p50.jpg

Ah yes, we actually just found a bug in the OBJ loader that was effecting triangulation so that may be the cause, its fixed on our internal build but you'll have to wait for the next update to see if it fixes the problem for you. I bet this is the issue.
    I was indeed referring to actually toggling trough them, not rotating the sky itself.
    I'll hope that I am not the only one that wants that, or you guys feel it's important enough to add. :)

Ok cool, well I've got that logged on our suggestion list now. Thanks!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    can't wait for you guys to add SoulMaps for eyes.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    come on release this! This is amaizing, already throwing my money into the screen, seriouslly guys, amaizing job, i love seeing the models your posting, top notch work
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    Earthquake i asked before but not sure you seen it, are you guys thinking about maybe adding anything in the realm of global illumination like the newer engines are doing? crysis 3 and bf 3 already use this if i am not wrong
  • ishi_kawa_cg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice update EarthQuake!!

my new wipshot ironman
    ironman.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey guys!

I dunno if i'm the only one having issue with that. But almighty_gir send me the scene from back when we did that little hangout thing. He send it to me with all the texture and the scene in a Zip, Everything seems to work fine but the diffuse (albedo) are not there anymore and you need to put them back manually. The other map where still there.
    I didn't have that problem when saving my scene here at home, maybe some problem when transfering a scene to another pc?

Other than that, the wireframe works great (yeah quad!) with a darker color, but when using white I got that result.
    a5DRoBy.jpg
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    Tits yeah i have some issues with this as well for example in this scene i imported 2 models the girl and the alien and only the alien gets is textures saved in the material the girl lost all of her textures for some reason....
This discussion has been closed.