Home General Discussion

Alternative Phone Carriers

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
I'm getting tired of forking over so much $$$ every month to Verizon... anyone on one of these "alternative" carriers?

After seeing this new "free" plan by FreedomPop today, I'm honestly considering just buying their phone and doing the free plan for a month to try things out, then if it goes well cancel my Verizon plan.

I was also looking at Republic Wireless, Zact, and Straight Talk.

For all these options (except Straight Talk I think) I'd have to loose my iPhone, but between my wife and I we would be saving at least $100 a month, so I think I could manage...

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You could try T-Mobile, if you already have a phone (which it sounds like you do) they don't charge you as much. I think it'd be $60 for 2 people with unlimited call and text, but the basic plan only gets 500mb of data. but it's just a soft cap and they throttle speeds after that (no overage charges). If you don't use your for phone for data when your not in wifi it's not a deal breaker.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I recently switched to t-mobile based on cost. The plan is similar to what Zac said. I believe it's more like 100 a month for the most basic with two people on the plan, although they advertise it at 80 (40 a piece), there are extra fees that bring it up.

It's unlimited calls, unlimited internet. However you only get 3G or 4G for the first 500MB, after that you are on the edge network. I didn't think it would bother me, but it is REALLY slow going backwards like that. Still, most places have WIFI now so it's workable.

Service is okay. No complaints really, we were paying 160-180 at AT&T, and I appreciate the tradeoffs for the price cut.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    I just went through all the cell phone stuff in May so I would say my findings are still pretty relevant. I went with T-Mobile. Best network with best prices and best phones. You do have to buy the phones outright (or on a payment plan) but it saves you 400 - 500 after 2 years (per person.)

Like the others here have said (and I consider a plus) if you go over your data limit, then your data speed is throttled down. At other companies (At&t, Verizon) you are immediately charged very high rates.

I have the HTC One and I'm in Florida. I get 4G LTE speed about 60% of the time and 4G the other 40%.

I would consider what network some of those carriers are on before anything else. No sprint my friend!

Just advice...

edit: 500mb is their lowest data plan, the next is 2GB for like $10 more a month. If the speed after your 500mb bothers you, hit that 2GB up.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Memory wrote: »
    I have the HTC One

But are you running Android Revolution HD? :poly121:
  • SurlyBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird polycounter lvl 13
    I've been a Straight Talk user for a year now. Love it and can't recommend it enough. Unlimited data for $45-a-month with no contract is hard to beat. Have to bring your own unlocked phone to the party (which can be expensive if you want your own top-of-the line phone unlocked and free and clear), but the return in savings means the investment will pay for itself in short order. I don't have anything negative to say about the experience. Wish I had this service years ago.
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    hey dude, how are ya?,
    ive been using Ting

my bill is about $15 a month and some data and minutes roll to the next month, i dont use alot of data but i haven't had any connectivity issues (only really use it in California though). biggest down side is you don't get the price break on the phone itself (already had a phone i used though). im happy with it.

https://ting.com/rates
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you thought about going with a data-only plan and using a VoIP app to make calls? Between 4G and Wifi Hotspots, you could possibly never have to use a minute plan ever again. You could buy minutes on an as-needed basis. Typical VoIP usage takes up about 0.5MB per minute total, so 1,000 minutes would run about 500MB. If you get a 2GB or 4GB data plan, you should have plenty of headroom.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I know most people here will be talking about cell phones. But i'll share what i do.

I just stick to Skype at home. Ditched the cellphone and now i only pay 30 dlls every 2 years i think for a phone number, and then pay every month 3 dlls to call anywhere on the US and Canada. I talk to my folks in Mexico through Skype anyways.. so its free. I save tons of money... but i don't have the phone with me all the time. at least not if i don't have wiFi. Since i have Skype on my Vita.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the info guys! I've been checking these out all day.
    meshiah wrote: »
    hey dude, how are ya?,
    ive been using Ting

my bill is about $15 a month and some data and minutes roll to the next month, i dont use alot of data but i haven't had any connectivity issues (only really use it in California though). biggest down side is you don't get the price break on the phone itself (already had a phone i used though). im happy with it.

https://ting.com/rates

Hey man! Yeah, Ting is looking pretty good. I'm still really curious about FreedomPop, but I'm worried I'm going to get bored with the only phone they offer. I could make the free plan work, but my wife will need some more texts/data probably. Ting i think is the front runner at this point.