Home Unity

Maya to Unity

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Visum polycounter lvl 7
Hi, can somebody point me to a tutorial with creating assets in Maya and importing them to unity?
I'm reading where I can but I'm still not sure how do I export UVed meshes to unity the proper way.

Basically I have a level in Maya which is build using many modular pieces. How do I export that to unity? Do I export mesh by mesh and rebuild it inside or whole thing and then reuse whichever parts I need. How does the texture stand in this. How do I keep them on one UV instead of each for each modular piece and so on.

This is confusing:(

Replies

• St.Sabath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 11
    Its even as simple as saving your maya file out as Ascii,then opening unity,setup a project,and dragging and dropping your maya file in the viewport of unity...done.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, you'll need to save out each part to FBX, import those into Unity, then recreate your level within Unity.

You could probably write some kind of script that'll save out the position/rotation of each modular piece and then place those imported modules down as instances within Unity...
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    Thx a lot for the answers.
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    I have been working with Unity for a few weeks now and I am still learning but from my experience, you can just take what you have in Maya, combine everything that uses the same material to save draw calls and export out as fbx into your project directory and Unity automatically imports it along with the material. Then just drag it into the scene.