Home Technical Talk

Advice on Creating Exterior Houses

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
I've been brain storming and researching for a little while and I'm still a little unclear about how to go about texturing buildings and houses.

CqdiJnp.png
I have my high poly and low poly building, and I'm going to add more details in NDo2. Here'es where my issue lies though.

If I were to bake out a normal map, and then add details to it in NDo2, the end would result would be said normal map. However, if I want to use a tiling brick texture, that texture would require its own normal map. How would I combine both normals maps, or is this not the route you're supposed to take when creating things like this. Am I even supposed to bake a normal map from 3ds max?

I read Distings breakdown of his apartment and read through the thread. I was using his wall segment as reference on how I should go about doing this. He simply made a tiling texture and applied it to the wall, with its own normal map. I'm not sure however, if he baked out a normal/AO for just the wall segment itself. I'm also trying to incorporate DDo and NDo2 as much as possible

Replies

• Busterizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Busterizer polycounter lvl 5
    The way I would do it would be, to layout uv's in such way so all the walls or any other elements, that are supposed to look the same use same uv space. With this I would be able to add more detail in the texture and not waste uv space for every wall of the building or room.

I would take my uv's to photoshop and make diffuse texture from photo resources and such. Many of these textures can be found for free around the internet. From this diffuse texture I can later create good quality normal map with just normal map filter (plug-in) from inside photoshop. And if I am supposed to create specular map I can create one by adjusting curve settings for the texture.

For me this gives good results every time.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Nah nah, I understand that part. Let me see if I can get a better example.
    4C6lA.jpg

For this building it doesn't seem like they unwrapped the main structure, they just used a multi-sub object material and had tiling textures when needed. The only object they baked out were the trims, doors, and the electric pole. Is this a standard for creating exteriors. I'm just so used to the high-poly to low-poly workflow with assets.
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not sure how Cryengine handles CSG or BSP as it is called, but I can tell you that UDK buildings use BSP brushes to create the main geometry and then tiling Materials are applied to those BSP walls. Then you add all the pipes and windows and doorframes as separate meshes.

This has 2 advantages:

1. you can have much better resolution texture maps for separate objects (as opposed to having to fit doors, walls, roof, windows... on one UV)

2. You have modularity and can combine different walls/windows around the map

Generally speaking UDK doesn't have as much a problem with geometry as it has with loading materials. So it's usefull to make everything as modular as possible. This can go to extremes, like the guy who does this tutorial:

http://eat3d.com/blog/eat-3d/new-dvd-release-udk-modular-masterclass-efficiently-creating-and-entire-scene-tor-frick

or this:

http://johnvalentiart.com/?custom_type=how-to-udk-scenes-with-ndo2

This is maybe taking it a bit far for a start, but if you keep in mind to re-use the avaialable UV-space and make everything as tilable as possible, it'll be fine. It's really a lot more pre-planning than I imagined too, if you wanna make, let's say, a Tudor style city map with modular materials.

...you can of course make separate objects for walls, etc. But that would only be necessary for the more unique pieces/places.

These are also interesting links:

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/Building_Layout_Guideline_Tutorial.html

http://www.thiagoklafke.com/modularenvironments.html

They may not all be about exteriors, bus sooner or later you start wanting more anyway ^^
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Hmm, I get what you're saying, I appreciate the help but that's not quiet what I'm looking for. Let me try a better example, sorry.
    Okay, on page 2 of Distings Breakdown of the Apartment he explains how he created the high poly wall mesh, then baked it with xNormal. That creates a normal map. Than he found a paper-like texture to be used as the walls normal map, which he then fused with his baked normal to make a single normal map to be plugged into DDo. Where I am confused at is, hwo he was able to use a tiling texture by itself,, plug it into the slot for Diffuse in DDo, and have it line up exactly where he wanted it to on the texture. My case is a little different because, with using a brick texture, the normals have to match with the diffuse. Unless he used the same method as in his DDo AK tutorial, where he placed the wood where he wanted it to go before hand. Does that make more sense? :(
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I think I'm getting what you mean, but first:

Doesn't he say he baked from a Highpoly Mesh and then made another normal map (for more details) with Ndo2? (You said he baked the highpoly with XNormal, which sounds confusing)

This tutorial lacks a snapshot of the UVs for the walls. It would be pretty self-explanatory if we had those. Is it maybe possible to write to the guy and ask him to post his uvs and the wallpaper material applied to it? I think this apartment exists as a WIP thread on Polycount, dunnit?

As for Ddo - I don't use it, so I don't know what it does with the tiling. If I were to model these walls, I'd scale them all up (in the UV) to be the same size and have their horizontal vertexes exactly lined up. Then I'd try scaling them to fit onto the tiling texture the best. The different wall parts are all overlapping/on top of each other. I think there is no way someone can just plug in a 1024x1024 texture to any program and have it tile perfectly on every wall. That would require all walls to fill out the full 0-1 UV space.

Would be really nice if people who made tutorials actually made them right. He went through all this work and made a nice breakdown, but without Uvs it's only half-worth it and can be confusing.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, a finished UV Layout of the wall would clear up a lot. It just doesn't seem efficient to layout the walls of a building as apposed to using a 512x512 tiling texture.
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    I think I know what you're trying to ask Scizz, so hopefully I can help answer your question. In regards to the CryEngine demo house you're seeing, I'm pretty sure they didn't bake out any of those textures you see there as they look photo sourced, nor are they uniquely unwrapped excluding the electric pole. It's just combination of trim textures and tiling textures, along with a planned texture sheet for the doors per say. The way you'd go about planning this type of house from start to finish is looking at your concept or reference you have and breaking down which textures need to be where, breaking down where trims can appropiately used and then building in advance a modular sheet consisting of doors, windows, curtains etc. To answer your question whether this is pretty standard, I'd say it is since it's a pretty efficient way in order to build multiple variants of houses using the same textures and materials as opposed to trying to uniquely unwrap one, plus you get better texture resolution, plus it's easy to change multiple houses on the fly if need be. Important thing to note here too is that even if you have tiling textures around, you just break the repetition up with vertex blending, decals or props.

As for Distings wall, I'm pretty sure what he meant was he built a high poly wall to bake down his tiling textures and trim texture, but in essence it's still pretty much like that CryEngine house you saw. After you bake down those high poly details you just add surface detail in NDO to add to it. This Mount And Blade article is probably better at teaching how to do exterior houses than me. If you want any more clarification on what I mean, just let me know, I'm not sure if I explained it okay. :)

ModularMountAndBlade?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Modular_MountBladeMod_01.jpg
  • SnowInChina
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    This thread reminded me of another thread that had some good advice in it: Link

:P
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    LOL. Wow, forgot I made a thread similar. I'll look through that last one again. This one has been helping a lot though! Maybe I'm just over thinking this whole concept. I have no problem with a standard high-poly to low-poly workflow, this is just a little different. :D
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Alright I think I understand I'm gonna take a crack at it, but if there is no high-poly model, how are the edges so smooth on his wall, just beveled edges?
  • TerryMosier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TerryMosier polycounter lvl 7
    I'm glad I checked this thread out. Thanks for the useful information lukepham101.

Good luck on your project Scizz.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    I still think I'm thinking too much into it. : /. How come I never see a UV layout of a building or house or even just very large structures in general someone has worked on. All I see are the tiling textures used. Is there no bake out of 3ds Max/Maya whatsoever?(As for as the base structure goes) Are the edges of the buildings and roof just smoothed out with bevels? Are the only normal maps baked, the normal maps of the textures?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's because the uv layout is just going to be a bunch of stacked UVs or tiling textures. Buildings are designed to be modular.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=39&t=444791&page=7&pp=15#post4855106
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the UVs are going to look like a mess, because everything's tiled. The UVs won't tell you much, unless the artist just shows the UVs for a single wall, in isolation. But then all you're going to see is the wall stretched out horizontally beyond the 0-1 square.

Where the UVs get really crazy are techniques like Snefer and d1ver use, using multiple UV channels and using each RGBA channel as a unique texture... http://wiki.polycount.com/TextureAtlas

Disting says he created quick highpoly model for the wall, with the upper and lower trim pieces, and baked that out to a tiled normal map. Then he overlaid details with nDo. So a combo of baking (Xnormal) and image manipulation (nDo). We have some tutorials on the wiki about modeling/sculpting tiled textures... http://wiki.polycount.com/EnvironmentSculpting

More info here about blending multiple tiled textures together, like the CryEngine house does.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/Multitexture#Modulation_Blending

About the smooth corners, he doesn't show a wireframe but it looks like it's just a bevel there, with smoothed normals. Pretty easy. Just make sure you make the UVs wrap seamlessly across the corner.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you Zac and Eric for clearing that up for me a bit more. I'll take a crack at it. It's not really 'doing' it that's giving me trouble, I would just like to do it efficiently. : D