Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zbrush Questions

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
Trying to learn new features of Zbrush 4R6 and having lots of issues. Following some Zbrush tutorials, yet I get lost in the middle. My question

1. I made a Multi Insert Brush, including 8 types of polypainted bricks as below. But When I use the Brush, the polypaint is lost, What should I do to preserve the polypaint.
1.jpg

2. How to preserve polypaint again if I want to decimate the model already polypainted ?

3. trying to make a tilable brick texture, but Once the polycount exceed 5 Mil, things gets really sloww.. Any suggestions(except upgrading hardware and all :D) ?

Replies

• Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Hi CMTanko :)
    I dont think you should post ZBrush questions on the pimping and review forum, but I might be mistaken.
    I don't polypaint much, but what if you bake the polypaint to the brick's texture? Would that solve it?
    Going super slow at 5m polis is normal, which is why you simply keep it at a lower res. Right now, your bricks are way more dense than you need to. every poly you have that is smaller than the pixel you will bake to, will be lost. I was surprised at how low I could keep my models in ZB, and still get the same bakes/textures out of it.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    (Oops ! Sorry Admin )

I did found the solution for Q.2 , found option to keep polypaint in Preferences.
    1. Baking polypaint to texture,doesn't seem to work..
    3. yeah trying to decimate first before using now.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    in the decimation master menu, there's 2 options to freeze borders and keep uvs, check both of those to keep your polypaint when you decimate. However you need uvs on your model to keep polypaint, so drop your brick to it's lowest level, go to the uv tab in the tool menu, click create and click the "GUV" button to generate uvs. then jump back up to highest subdivision level, go to the texture tab, click the create button, then click new from polypaint. then click the clone texture button, then do the decimation.