Home Technical Talk

Help: 3DS Hot Keys wont save? 3ds Max 2014

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Rogue One polycounter lvl 7
Wondering if anyone can tell me what you need to do to get your custom hotkeys to save and load at startup permanently?! I make my hotkeys the way I like and even save them out to a .kbdx file. and they work for a few days then BOOM they are gone and even loading the .kbdx file wont bring them back? :poly127:

Can someone tell me what might be causing this or what I am doing wrong.

Any help will be appreciated

Cheers!

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Not sure why this happens to some people, but a coworker of mine had to Run As Administrator anytime he wanted to change / customize his UI. Where are you saving the kbdx file? Try to put it in your My Documents folder, that should avoid permission issues. For my coworker we eventually disabled UAC in windows and he no longer had the issue, but check with your IT department before doing that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UAC will cause some problems in max, I've run into that with installing scripts and using max to move files around. UAC doesn't pop up like it normally does it just blocks it. Normally UAC gets all uppity when you try to do anything in the max folder, but like monster said if you move to a pre-approved spot like the my documents folder it normally won't trip UAC. I think there are ways to provide exceptions for certain actions for specific applications.
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rogue One polycounter lvl 7
    Mark and Monster thanks for chiming in! Glad to hear that it is not just me who is having problems with hotkeys. I have tried saving the kbdx file into my documents folder instead of my desktop and so far so good. I will also get the IT dept (lead programer) to make max run as an administrator.

I also noticed in the readme for the most recent service pack this fix has been added:

"The INI setting use UserProfile was being reset to the value 1. This value is no longer reset" not sure if that could have something to do with this.

Anyway, hopefully I can keep my hotkeys permanently from now on.....

Thanks again guys!