Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hit me with your best shot! (A Portfolio Review)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
neverwander polycounter lvl 7
Hey all! I graduated in June and have been busy searching for a job since then. Figured I should get another review of my portfolio to see if there is anyway I can improve it. You can check it out at:

http://www.evanhudson.com/

Also, not sure what the industry standard is, but I've done a few art tests so far, and after spending as much as a week on an art test, I turn it in and hear nothing back from them. Is this normal? This has been the case for all the art tests I've done. I don't think my art is so bad as to not even warrant a "Sorry you didn't make the grade," but what do I know?

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Your stuff is not bad.
    But, it would be nice to have all the thumbnails on the front page, and then a separate page for that specific thumbnail will open. At the moment your 3 props all go to the same props page, that is confusing.

Don't forget to make more portfolio pieces while you're looking for work.

On those art tests, try sending a follow up email.
  • neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neverwander polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the crits LMP. I've been thinking about making a seperate page for each of the props, but wanted to keep the number of clicks and backs to a minimum. Having a separate page for each of the props would allow me to fit more shots and better breakdowns though, so I'm probably just gonna go ahead with that.

As to the follow-up emails, I've been sending one a week since I turned in each art test. Still nothing. It's extremely frustrating.
  • hollandje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hollandje polycounter lvl 4
    I'm not telling you what to add but I highly recommend you introduce yourself as a person. Why did you become interested in 3D design (environment specific). The company now knows what you've done and what you can work with. The studio's would also like to know who they are dealing with in general, personality, teamplayer yes or no, interest and all those things.

I really like the stuff you made and just as LMP said I would have your props seperated from each other. When I pressed one of the props I thought I would be seeing one prop but was suprised with a futuristic car.

The layout is good, keep it like this!

Sorry for my bad english xD
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I would remove this from there c4d389_11f724d44a3bb2234719daf4a8d71640.jpg_srz_950_570_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Overall you are headed in a good direction but it also feels like you have some things in there you could improve upon. The issue with the gun is it's basically all blocks, there doesn't really seem to be a real normal bake, the texture is just odd.

I would work on defining materials as well as making your textures and models tell a story more than just edge wear.

The water in this scene looks like clouds or something odd and doesnt darken at all. c4d389_ea24bed545039b86b1a334ba85f9510a.jpg_srz_952_512_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

I think the biggest thing that stands out is the rocks, they are way too lumpy next to the concept which is what gives it definition and interest.

All three prop links go to the same page and this doesn't really make much sense.

The car thing is cool but it just looks like a base texture pass, add wear and tear, make it dirty, that shit flies through the air, it's bound to collect dirt and dust as well as environmental wear. The white looks very flat where car paint is very reflective, have the blue parts less reflective to break it up and sell it as a different material. Jet engines put out a lot of heat and would wear through that paint job and discolor the metal and prolly leave marks of some kind, not to mention there would probably be dirt around the area or scortching of some kind.

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/4551/4551,1184616923,1/stock-photo-inside-the-rear-of-a-jet-engine-3916237.jpg

The radio isn't bad, it's just not super exciting, maybe add a sticky note on it with some sort of message about not missing a show at a certain time, add a story to your props. I see you added some stuff to your spec but you need more than that.

I would add your high polys as well and add sculpts.

Overall you're in a good direction but you should work on your texturing and sculpting it looks like as well as hard surface. Try a real life gun and do it until you get it really accurate. Remember not to keep the edges to sharp like i feel you have in the gun.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I was really hoping for a Pat Benatar model...

Cryoworld: My main gripe with this is that it looks a bit flat(lighting, Material, and modeling wise) and empty compared to the concept. In the concept, wherever you look there is something interesting- be it a decal, lighting, material variation(the shiny bits on the floor).The concept is also filled with interesting deco....like the loose wire running along the left side, the electrobox with the number pad on the right side. And it all has a pleasing contrast between the elemets that give it a nice layered depth.

THe Bridge: My first reaction is ..the is cool..Then I get to the concept..not saying that it is bad..but it is a very soft interpretation of the concept. You've taken the flat angular strokes in the concept and rounded everything out- it gives it a real bubbly feel. I think giving the chasm a bottom takes away from the sense of adventure in the piece as well...it's good work..it's just doesn't hit the concept very well

Props: These are great! The Radio is fantastic. I think the Cop car could use a material pass- to break up the overall sheen with a duller composite material on some of the borders of the shinier materials. The gun seems way too flat..I think doing the same treatment of adding a shiner material definition to bits of it would make it pop.

Overall I would just tighten up your environments to get closer to the concepts you are showing with them..and tweak some material definition in your props...

The art test thing is annoying..best bet is to send a followup after a week..like LMP stated. It doesn't hurt to ask what there policy is to begin with either.

Good Luck!