Wasteland Rogue

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
LATEST:
nIn9KTP.jpg

w0Z9RBB.jpg

Hey polycount,
thought it was about time I started on something new and get a thread together for it, been working on this the past couple weeks on and off, still pretty early as far as the model goes; still working on the basemesh but it's coming along.

my crappy little design's attached below in case you're curious what I'm hoping to end up with.

Let me know what you think, cheers!

cOSnb92.jpg

Replies

• mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    small update, started sculpting out the trousers.

Wgbt5HP.jpg
  • thepapercut
    Nice start, just keep going at it!
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    thepapercut cheers!

Some more progress.

JNyFZhj.jpg

Crits welcome, cheers!
  • neilberard
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like things are coming along. I would recommend spending more time on the hands.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard Cheers, yeah hands are something that are more base than anything else at the moment, barely any sculpt work been put into them.

Anyway, some more progress on the clothes, re-did the boots as I wasn't happy, and I moved the legs out a bit in order to help with the baking at some point down the line.

pXCo4qA.jpg

pi8wzCx.jpg

let me know what you think, Cheers!
  • citizen_j
    Offline / Send Message
    citizen_j polycounter lvl 13
    I like what you did with the boots. Actually there's nothing there i would not like. Great job so far!
  • zicoV
    I really like it.
    The only thing that catches my eye is that the bottom of her ears seem kinda sunken into her head. I would flatten out the area between them and her jaw.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    citizen_j Thanks! Can't believe how long I stuck with the old ones to be honest :P they look like garbage to me now haha.

zicoV Cheers, good spot, might need to adjust that, I'm in the midst of looking for an actress to base some of the likeness on, once I have that it should start to come together, I hope...
  • KristaW
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    That jacket is sweet. Really clean detail work on it ^^ I really like where this character is going.

That is a unusually large gauge on that bellybutton ring. Is that on purpose to make it fit her personality?
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW Cheers! Chances are that's going to be reduced, was keeping it big in my basemesh more so that I could see it and remember that it existed really.
  • DannSw
    Offline / Send Message
    DannSw polycounter lvl 10
    This looks NOTHING like a medieval archer!

In all seriousness, looking awesome. I still think the shoes could do with a bit more love, the platforms seem super thin. Don't be afraid to push the sci fi edge. What she's currently wearing almost looks like a conscript/starfleet uniform that's been through hell which is pretty cool, maybe try and push that idea? She's a wastelander, so don't be afraid to make her look more hap hazard!

Her lower back muscles could use a bit more attention too, they feel a tad too pronounced. These are just small points though.
  • barnesy
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    I would spend some time sorting out the bone structure of the head, at the moment she looks a lot like a test dummy with a perfectly cylindrical forehead.

The rest of it is looking pretty sweet at the moment so keep it up :)
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    DannSw It's time to let go Danny... Thanks, definitely going to get some more grimey-ness in there, classic duct tape and all that jazz. Good call on the back muscles, hadn't really noticed how pronounced they are, will sort them out next.

barnesy yeah a few things left with the head (the forehead being one of them) but focused on it a bit more this weekend, cheers!

Small update, fixed a few things that were bugging me and I'm starting to get the rest blocked out but not much to show on that front yet. Let me know what you think, cheers!

AWhWquW.jpg
  • silkroadgame
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    silkroadgame cheers!

a little updatey thing...
    Been trying out fibermesh for some micro details on the cloth, doesn't really show up on theimages but I'm hoping it'll ad something in the bakes.

7N7rwwZ.jpg
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more, worked a little on the clothing and a bit more experimentation with fibermesh.

Got some hair blocked out along with an arm guard thrown in, more or less finished the high poly, I just need to tweak some of the facial features and work on the hands a little more and I'll be ready to get building the low.

HQbv85e.jpg
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Looks good !
    Only two small crits though:
    The hairline starts very close to the eyebrows. It's not really wrong because some people are like that, but's kinda strange... Try to have almost twice the distance you have now between the eyebrows and the hairline.
    The eyebrows gives her a worried expression, but I guess it because they are not finished at all. It's because they are going down too soon.

Keep going, this is really nice stuff !
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Her haircut looks really good, very original. Everything else looks great except her hands. I guess you haven't worked on them much but there is such a quality gap between everything else on this character and her hand that it bother me, haha ^^

Keep up the good work!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Love her haircut. That's pretty much the hair style I use for all my female characters on SWTOR !!
    Dunno why, also like her pants a lot. Wrinkles look simple but very nice.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt Thanks! I do tend to model the hairline fairly low without meaning to, definitely something to fix. The eyebrows were only thrown in there as she looked really weird without them and with hair, so I decided to do some quick polypaint ones, purely placeholder.

Popol Thanks. Yeah, I really need to sort out the hands, they've been pretty much untouched for a long while.

PyrZern Cheers!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Here's one of my char in SWTOR :P Keep up the great stuff man..
    SWTOR_Pyr_Face.jpg
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern Cheers.

Bit of an update, I'm more or less ready to move past the high poly now, to be frank I just want to get the thing baked and sorted already :P

But not going to rush to it just yet so if there are any issues that are still present please do point them out, would love some feedback before I press on.

eWBUANt.jpg

And I decided to add some asymmetry to the hair.

u9tkScn.jpg

Cheers!
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Nice progress =) The hairline starts at a better place now. =) But there's something lacking over the eyes... Seems like the overhang of the supraorbital margin is missing, or is not going out enough.
    Keep going ! Good decision to not rush on the baking. ;)
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt cheers, had similar thoughts myself, adjusted it but it's so minor it's not really worth and update.

Working on retopoing a lot of this, the face is more or less untouched, basically just my lowest subdivision for the base mesh. Will rework it though for the final topology as it's roughly the kind of density, and for the most part topology wise, what I'm going for.

Overall this is going to be pretty dense, wanting to target some specs more next gen.

n1oOy4b.jpg

Still a lot to do, so I'm going to get back to it, any thoughts are more than welcome.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Rough bake tests of the body here, not much else really just going to press on...

I want toolbag 2 :(

WOgytfy.jpg
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    moar update, added some accessories I'd been working on, sort out UVs as well so final bakes for the body at least should be on the way, My next step is to work a little more on the head.

xXWXmy3.jpg

M59vavy.jpg

Any crits welcome, cheers!
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah good old quadruple post, how I've missed you so :P

Ah well, here's some further progress anyway, keen to get onto texturing this weekend, so that I can make at least some progress before too many distractions get in the way.

E8VKiPy.jpg

Also, almost forgot, updated wireframe:

VMNKi1w.jpg
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 7
    I like it, but with the mose recent post the eyebrows look a bit too furrowed, maybe its just me.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe cheers, and yeah i think you're right too, it's a much more extreme expression than I remember, so I think I'm going to revisit that at some point soon.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorting out materials, hoping to be able to drop this into toolbag 2 with relative ease so I've been trying to keep my texture masks clean and easy to work with so that any edits are easier.

lIKHG9X.jpg
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates blarg!

EYHyo61.jpg
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Toolbag 2 update. PBS, fuck yeah!

w0Z9RBB.jpg
  • AlphaMeow
    The knee region could use a lil more attention.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    God. Your topology is so clean and even.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    AlphaMeow Anything in particular? There's a ton of work left to do texture wise, but as far as silhouette goes I'm not seeing too much wrong, something I'm simply not seeing?

ysalex Haha cheers! Spent a long while sorting it out to try and keep it clean, I'm really dreading the hair though, which you seem to be tackling pretty damn well.
  • afisher
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Saw this in the Toolbag2 thread and wanted to say it's looking great! One thing that you could perhaps improve is adding some subtle memory folds on the pants at the back of the knee and perhaps across the thighs to break up how smooth the surface is compared to the compression folds where it meets the boots. Apart from that, looking forward to seeing this finished.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher Thanks! Saw the stuff you did back during the beta, was looking fantastic! And thanks for the feedback, looking at them I see what you mean, surprised I glossed over the micro/ memory folds back when I was sculpting it, definitely on the to do list to revisit now, cheers.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since my last update, been working on the face these last few days. Let me know what you think, cheers!

nIn9KTP.jpg