Home General Discussion

Any Polycounters up in NYC need a room-mate?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Amatobahn polycounter lvl 7
Hey!

I just moved up to NYC to work and I'm in the midst of looking for a place. I'd much rather room with someone than live on my own so I'm just throwing out a bone to see what happens.

Cheers!

Replies

• MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    i am curious why you would rather room with someone else than live alone.

other than saving on rent money, everything else is a huge negative.

no privacy.
    no independence.
    possibility of irresponsible room mate who doesn't clean up after themselves.
    if your roommate likes loud music and you don't, you will be stuck in hell.
    troublesome to bring in your own guests.
    less security with your belongings etc.
    the list goes on...

in my opinion the money saved on rent is absolutely not worth all the hassle.
    just my 2 cents.

unless you are in NY only for only few months, then i suggest just living in a semi-decent hotel which is will be much better than sharing a place with a stranger.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Prices in NYC are pretty high tho... makes sense to room with someone.

I do agree that having a roommate is a 50-50.
  • Amatobahn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you are saying, MM.

I've just always figured that my apartment would be my place to sleep, since working will take up my daily activity. Yes, I'd like to save a few dollars where I can — I tend to live frugally.

You most certainly are right in the terms of privacy and independence, etc.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welp... i have friends that are in NYC... my brother lives there. I can check to see if they have any leads on roomies needed.

I am upstate new york.. so nothing i can help you with directly. I'll let you know after i talk to him.
  • Amatobahn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Appreciate the help. =]
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    glottis8 wrote: »
    Prices in NYC are pretty high tho... makes sense to room with someone.

yes, but it would be unwise to live in Manhattan/downtown where rent for a studio apt could easily be $2000

NYC is best for commuting with subway train so i suggest getting a studio apt in brooklyn/queens/astoria/elmhurst etc. anywhere outside Manhattan and you could find a nice studio apt all for yourself in around $800-1000

it all depends on how long your stay in though..
  • Amatobahn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    yes, but it would be unwise to live in Manhattan/downtown where rent for a studio apt could easily be $2000

NYC is best for commuting with subway train so i suggest getting a nice studio apt in brooklyn/queens/astoria/elmhurst etc. anywhere outside Manhattan and you could find a nice studio place all for yourself in around $800-1000

it all depends on how long your stay in though..

Yeah, I have been looking in the Brooklyn/Astoria area. I'm here indefinitely, and plan on commuting to work. I just like to pinch my wallet a bit. :D
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    well in that case just allow me to strongly suggest against sharing a place for a long term or even short term and then moving again because moving is another big stressful activity. you will need a place to relax and unwind after a day's work and not be bothered by someone else.

just a suggestion anyways, do with it what you will :)

good luck.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno... its nice to settle somewhere you like after you've been around the area for a bit, and you know what kind of place you would like and what you kind afford. Just moving into the city it makes sense to save some money just in case.

Also.. expenses are not cheap... its like 1000 for apt... say 800... plus the train thingie per month which is like 150 dlls. Plus food and utilities... and internet... it stacks up.
  • Amatobahn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    30/wk for metro unlimited (unless there's a better deal out there).
    (edit: just found a 30-day for $112).
    I'm planning on 1800+/mo for everything, hopefully.

I value both your opinions, they are quite helpful. :D
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Just move to LA. NYC is smelly.