Home Unity

Is it possible to only bake AO?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
And still have dynamic lights affect it normally?

Of course I mean the scenes AO rather than a specific assets AO

Replies

• skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Frell, I believe this is what your asking for. With the lights in your scene turned off go to the lightmapping window and add a number to you skylight intesity like a .5 and keep the bounces down around 1, also turn on AO slider. Bake your scene and it should look like a flat gray scene with your AO baked. Now turn on your lights, in the lightmapping tab on your light set it to RealtimeOnly so they aren't factored in when you do any additional bakes. Turn on your shadows and also set the project to deferred lighting if you want shadows with your spotlights.

Hope that is what your looking for.
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I think frell is referring to the way unity disables specular and normals on objects receiving lightmaps.

You could use directional lightmaps but they come with a bunch of minor irritations. You can also use dual lightmaps mode but I find it almost useless for most scenes.

My biggest complaint working with unity is the awkward implementations for combining dynamic and baked lighting. Neither dual or directional lightmaps work well and you are left hacking stuff together.