Home General Discussion

Warhammer Online shutting down Dec 18th

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
Warhammer Notice of Shutdown

A toast to the crazy times I had working on my first industry game. There were ups and downs but it was an amazing experience and I'm proud of what we put out.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Daw shucks. I'll have to go to the local GW store and mourn the loss.
  • MichaelElphick
    It's a shame, I played for a little while but never got that 'deep' into it, but was great fun with lots of potential.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    dangit :/ I really liked it. I loved the art. I think you guys really manage to capture a true warhammer atmosphere. It's a shame they're shutting it down. I'd love to see them allow people hosting their own servers.

I wonder what did it in. I know the reason I quit was probably mostly down to OP morale skills and brightwizard aoe spam that hit for more than most other classes single dmg spells.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Used to rock Swordmaster on that game, was such a blast spinning people away from healers :D Good times!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that's a bummer but understandable I guess. MMO's in general seem to be shedding players like crazy.
    wasker wrote: »
    dangit :/ I really liked it. I loved the art.
    I liked the art too, but I never really got too invested in the game, by the time it came out I was pretty much burned out on MMO's.

wasker wrote: »
    I wonder what did it in.
    It looks like it was a good time to part ways and wind down something that has been struggling for a while?
    However, like all things – our contract has come to an end. Both Games Workshop and Mythic agreed to part ways, despite how hard it is emotionally on us to let the game go.

Maybe someone who played more than I did could chime in on some specifics. Reading their statement it sounds like they managed to piss off the fan base a few times, which probably isn't hard to do with warhammer fans...
    Even when you didn’t like the changes, even if you thought we made mistakes. The community made this game possible.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nah, there's been enough armchair analysis of Warhammer Online on the internet. DaOC & UO are still subscription based MMOs so it has to be the costs involved with licensing an IP.
  • superb888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the problem with F2P/MMO/online req games, not being able to play games in 10-20 years even though the public has paid for them because they there is no req to get them into public domain after they shut down (stop being profitable). If you're an online game it should be a use it or lose it proposition after you shut down after a decade.

Gaming is so screwed by the looks of things and the march of idiots who bought diablo 3 and keep feeding mmo's and F2P's, we're not going to be able to play any older games, they will simply just disappear from gaming history.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll feed you into a wood-chipper! ;)

winky smiley face means it's funny!

But seriously, there's enough gamers discussing their (almost all wrong) theories on what happened during the development of Warhammer all over the internet. There's no room for that here, this should be a celebration of the all the badass art that was made by the sexiest game devs this side of the Mississippi.

Carrie also acknowledged the Blood Hunt expansion. I'm trying to see if we can get the OK to actually show the assets that went into that.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Cheers to the 527 polycounters who worked on this. It was a damn fine art team.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    You guys should go on a memorial drive with your ferraris.

Someone post up some art!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Someone post up some art!

It's in the shop!

and I would post art but I don't want to be redundant - I'm always posting old art!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator

With the Warhmammer Online theme played on bagpipes.