Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Changin Polygroup Defined From Mask

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys,

This isn't a big deal, but I'd love to know the answer to this if anyone knows. I painted a mask selection (of the beard) at my highest subdivision level and then made a Polygroup from that mask. Did the sculpting on it, turned off Polyframe and forgot about it. Towards the end of sculpting, I isolated that group and my Polygroup was made up of large polygon chunks, as if it were a much lower resolution.

Does anyone know what's going on here? (The other Polygroups were made from Geometry>Edge Loops>GroupLoops and weren't affected)

JYhL2DJ.jpg

Replies

• cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I painted a mask selection (of the beard) at my highest subdivision level

There's your culprit. Polygroups need to be created on the lowest level. The prevents them from trying to exist on vertices that don't exist when you step down a level (creating a situation where you have up to 4 different polygroups competing for the same quad that subdivided to create them). You can also run into similar issues if you open the mesh later.
  • Urzaz
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    cryrid wrote: »
    There's your culprit. Polygroups need to be created on the lowest level. The prevents them from trying to exist on vertices that don't exist when you step down a level (creating a situation where you have up to 4 different polygroups competing for the same quad that subdivided to create them). You can also run into similar issues if you open the mesh later.

Ahh. That does make sense, and now that I think about it I've probably heard to make Polygroups at the lowest level.

So how DO you make polygroups represent what you want on the higher subdivision levels? Is it just the case that you make them at the very beginning and the way they're supposed to be used in the workflow it's not an issue that comes up?
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If they're no longer as useful, you can delete the lower levels (making the highest level your new lowest). If the polygroups serve a specific function, the model can be built with them in mind