Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Severalls inspired hospital wing and props.....overgrown/derelict blah blah

Replies

• Trevelyan .
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevelyan . polycounter lvl 11
    @ mats effect - thanks buddy, here's some extra shots of the brick high poly and a grey version of the texture, still playing with the presentation:

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome its great to see the texture sheets.
  • Trevelyan .
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, glad you like them, i'll try to put more sheets like this together for some of the other textures in the scene also, have quite a few in there that might be interesting to some
  • Xerafel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's some incredible work and attention to detail! I'd also love to see more texture breakdowns, like what sizes you're using.
  • Trevelyan .
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Xerafel, i've finally had some time to put together some more texture and high poly images :)

So i've still not quite finished on the environment, i've taken a little time to sit back get these latest images and give myself a little rest from it for a week or so. I'm going to try to update to the latest engine build and get the water reflections looking nicer and then hopefully i'll be nearly ready to get my final images together and maaaaaaybe a little video or two.

Anyway, below are images of my high poly meshes created for/in zbrush for texture extraction, texture samples are small crops of the full size texture - hopefully this highlights the detail a little better...I was pretty chuffed with the ivy, long process to learn the best proceedure, but the end result was worth it I think/hope! :)

Thought i'd add the bricks back in this post for continuity:

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

This was used as an underlay for a layered shader applied to the ceiling...

1600x1200.jpg

This was used for layering over the brick...

1600x1200.jpg

A little 'deeper' sculpt on this one as it was intended for using with a parallax occlusion shader...

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

These vines were created to tile, though in the end i didn't use them in that way...

1600x1200.jpg

Thanks everyone for following, all comments welcome! More updates to come in the next few weeks or so....cheers!
  • LiquidSpacie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Focus on small details instead of a big meshes. I like that! Keep it up buddy :)
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    this looks amazing great job!
  • Trevelyan .
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, been pretty busy with our project at work (as always) and so it's been tough finding time to work on this, however....after finally deciding that SSRF on the water was a neccesity I decided to upgrade to the latest build of the Cryengine which has reintroduced them.

I lost my camera track that had all of my saved screenshot angles and I had to reconfigure all shaders that have a detail map plugged in, but all in all after a days work the upgrade has introduced some lovely new features i've made use of - Chromatic Aberation (now as standard), a fancy new lens flare editor and the water volume shader update are just a few i've implemented in my scene - oh I also added the light shafts yesterday too :)

I've also moved my work to my home computer where i'm struggling with less power, one monitor and a paper towel for a mouse mat lol but i've managed to get a screen of the money shot done, hopefully this week I will plough through my other final shots and get them up too...approaching the finish line, hoping to do a fly through and break down for anyone interested as well....thanks!

@ kaikaisushi thanks for the complement, glad you like it :)

@ liquidspacie - that's been my thinking, wanted a whole scene that had equal spread of detail, rather than just a scene that looks good from one angle

@ looprix and ae. - thanks guys, glad you like it so far!

1600x1200.jpg
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mellon3D polycounter lvl 13
    As I said before, fantastic scene!
    And gorgeous God rays,it would be great if you share how you made them?:)
    It is default volume fog, or geometry based rays?
  • noscope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    This is beautiful well done!
  • Trevelyan .
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Mellon3D - hey thanks for the compliments :) I'm glad you like the beams, the method is fairly simple, there are 3 low poly cone shapes, with vertex alpha at the top and bottom to fade them off nicely. The texture map is a tiling 'clouds' style noise map, straight out of photoshop. The Uvs are then squashed and stretched until the noise of the texture is stretched in a way to give the 'light shaft' appearance. Then when exported to cryengine, you set the shader as 'geometrybeam' and this has additional uv animation and other useful settings to make your rays look the way you want - I'm not sure if the cone method is used at Crytek or if they use intersecting planes, but we use cones a lot at work to fake volumetrics and it does the job (so long as overdraw expense is considered). Hope this helps! :)

@noscope - thanks buddy :)
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mellon3D polycounter lvl 13
    Nice approach, thanks for sharing)
  • theDEAD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow... friggin' amazing man!

Would be great to see some tutorials made up from you! I'm particularly interested in your work flow for things like that foliage / vines that were made to tile, in addition to that cloth draped over the gurney. Those look awesome. Any other info on the softwares used to create the scene would be awesome too!

Thanks so much for sharing, this is bad ass. :):thumbup:
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely work dude!
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    Smart Plaster Texture wall :D
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    This came out great dude! Love the consistent wear across the whole scene :)
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    looks really good overall, nice breakdowns too! Panning cams & environment audio would be a nice finishing touch!
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    This has been so awesome to watch progress. Really inspirational stuff.
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Pure awesomnesss!
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    This is a great achievement man. I am quite envious of the amount of detail and awesomeness here. Hopefully my skills get to this point sooner than later. Great work!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Scene turned out great, really night mood and atmosphere :)
  • Trevelyan .
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks everyone for the great comments, really happy you all like it so far! Over the next few weeks I hope to be able to upload some more images of the scene as well as some more prop breakdown shots and finally a video - stay tuned :)

@ mellon3D - no problem man, glad it helped
    @ theDEAD - hey thanks for your interest in some of my workflows, the tiling vines were quite interesting to make, in fact looking through the thread here I have a picture I forgot to upload:

1600x1200.jpg

I'll try to make a little walkthrough for something like this if I can once i'm finished with the presentation work, as for the gurney cloth, it's a simpe a cloth simulation done with 3Ds Max, i'll try to cover this in more depth a little later too :)
    @ Pedroamorim, EhsanGamer, s1dK, Autocon, JONNYquid - thanks a lot for your comments guys, really appreciated!
    @ polycrunch - thanks man, yeh it was important to me to try to keep everything consistent so that things would 'gel' together in the final scene :)
    @ Rhoutermans - thanks alot! Definitely hope to put together a nice slow, panning video with some gentle ambient sounds in the background...need to dust off my video editing skillz lol
    @ spectre1130 - Really appreciate your comment, it was a big aim of mine to make a very detailed scene emphasising the fine strokes as well as the nice big broad ones - glad you like it :)

More updates and images to come soon, thanks all!
  • gutty333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work sir, cant wait for the video.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Really great work on this. I especially love how layered the destruction on the ceiling is. Excellent stuff.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13

1600x1200.jpg

This looks really really good, perfect presentation as well.

I would love to see some more "popping" somewhere, like making the green of the ferns more saturated, or some vivid piece of cloth standing out.

Right now, if you squint, all attention goes to the top center, that bright big blue sky, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, like I said the composition is actually spot on, I just wish my eyes we're being pulled more in the direction of that glorious env art, instead right now everything blends together.

All in all, absolutely badass stuff!
  • Trevelyan .
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Helder! Thanks for checking out my thread, I really appreciate your input. I've admired your work for a while and hearing of your move to California was particularly inspiring for me, as I have the same eventual goal :)

Your critique is spot on, I was torn between directing the viewers eye solely to the sky or by having the focus move around the scene a little first...Like you say, perhaps a few slightly brighter elements placed strategically might be worth trying out, I might try to emphasise the reds of the extinguishers and beams, as well as the greens of the ferns and see how it feels - thanks!

Hopefully the other images I post a little later will provide a nice chance to show off the rest of the scene a little more too.

@Gutty333 - hey thanks a lot for the compliment, hopefully ill get a video done this month :)

@ paulsvoboda - Thanks buddy, I spent a lot of time researching damaged ceilings and as many ref pics as I could to get the look I've finally landed on, glad you like it!
  • Trevelyan .
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it's been a little while since i've been able to update this thread, things have been especially busy for me with not only the Christmas holidays but also putting the final polish on The Lego Movie: Video Game!

Perhaps part of me has not wanted to really admit that it's time to let go of this project too, i've loved every minute of working on it and dream of working on content like this professionally one day - my projects have all so far been wonderfully varied but none of this genre just yet, so here's hoping!

My website (still under construction) has many, many more images, including the texture and high poly images previously posted here, so please do visit and check them out (the more information section will be up soon):

http://www.trevelyans.com/severalls-hospital

But for now, here is a large selection of my favourite images as well as a video at the bottom (watch in 1080p on youtube for the least compression).

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

And finally a short video of the scene that I put together...I originally didn't intend on making this scene for video, hence the lack of scene animation, however I couldn't resist doing something short:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ZbnQLixeM"]Cryengine real-time environment...Severalls Hospital...by Trevelyan - YouTube[/ame]

Thank you everyone that's tuned in to follow the thread and offered their comments and critiques, I really do value every opinion and bit of help and inspiration you guys all provide!

I've not really been big about broadcasting myself online, but having finally set up a portfolio, i've also created a facebook account for my art projects and friends so feel free to add me on there! Always great to have new friends in the industry:

https://www.facebook.com/trevelyan.art

Thanks all!

Trevelyan .

• killazzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bravo Matt! Just bravoooo...This is an incredible scene! And completely Last Of Us quality...
    Makes me want to give up on UDK entirely and learn CryEngine.
    Honestly I would absolutely love to get tips from you!
    Working on an environment myself after being out of it for a while due to work and sheer laziness.
    Well done! Can we be friends??:)
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathis polycounter lvl 11
    Looking awesome. The only thing I would criticize is the clean look of the roofing shingles. They could need some more dirt I guess. But very great work anyway !
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Beaauuttiful work! Wow! Bookmarked (as well as your portfolio) Great work Matt!
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this scene looks amazing! great job and fantastic polishing :)
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Absolutely beautiful scene! Bravo :)
  • silver_hoodlum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    i take my hat off, well done. How u did the blue god ray light, did u set up this in time of day? thanks
  • Bao92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
    oh man this is really awesome! your work is really incredible!!
  • Trevelyan .
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for your comments! Really glad to be finished and that you all like the scene!

killazzz - Hey thanks man, appreciate your comments! Both Cryengine and UDK are fantastic engines, each with strengths and weaknesses. Cryengines lighting system was the main draw for me, having previously worked with lightmaps I fancied trying a real time solution, can definitely recommend it! Heh and sure, everyone is welcome to send me a friend request - I find chatting to people on facebook a little easier than via comments on here :) ps i'll check out your scene!

Mathis - Hey thanks for your comment, you're right about the roof tiles too, that's a good critique, they are perhaps a little clean - maybe it's all the English rain keeping them that way, ha ;)

JasonLavoie - Hey Jason thanks, it's nice to be bookmarked :)

e-freak - Hey thanks for checking out the thread, really appreciate your comment!

kernersvillan - thanks a lot! I really enjoyed your Gears of War Judgement art post btw, really fantastic and stuff there :)

silver_hoodlum - Hey thanks, about the beams, Mellon3D asked a similar questions on page 3, I gave a little breakdown of how I made them, hope that helps! It's here:

lightbeams workflow

Bao92 - Hey thanks, really glad you like this and the rest of my work, taken a while to finally set up a site but glad i've got round to it at last :)
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Its... fantastic. I would live there. Staring at every piece of wood, sprinkler, loos brick, lily pad flower, blade of grass.

Added Inspiration folder, twice.
  • Trevelyan .
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks Butthair,great to know someone might be inspired by something I've done :) Not sure you'd get internet access living there but you're welcome to try ha
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    floored.....TREMENDOUS WORK! One of the better portfolio pieces I have scene. Great re-use of props, solid lighting, fantastic presentation. Keep up the good work! I can not wait to see what other projects you come up with.
  • ofca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ofca polycounter lvl 9
    Hi man,

What is the polycount of scene?
    How many objects?
    Drawcalls?
    Amount of textures in mbs?

Btw - great looking enviro.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Man this looks ridiculously good. Can I ask what you did for the brick wall corners? I love how you've got all the individual bricks poking out. Is that all just one big mesh?
  • jamiemurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jamiemurphy polycounter lvl 8
    very inspiring, some much attention to detail. great work!
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    starfrogsplash polycounter lvl 6
    really inspirational stuff!
    @ Ehsan Gamer - unfortunately you can't paint directly in the Engine, however you can get a shader that works directly in the maya viewport and so you paint the layered shaders there and then export to the engine, very quick and easy.

Do you have any links or guides on how to set up, or a shader that I could use in maya to vert paint?
    thanks!
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    You know what? I didn't know if I like the lily pads on first glance of the still images, but after watching the video, I completely changed my mind. Wow. This small environment is really beautiful, I love everything about it. Really, really nice work!
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    I think everything that I wanted to say has been said before. So I just want to say fantastic job and commitment to the scene. Keep on kicking ass.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    this. is. gorgeous! amazing job
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    Feel free to ask an admin to ban me but I feel like the hospital props are too "fresh" texture wise..? I feel like with all the water and flora, the bed would have mold and the like all over it and the fire extinguishers label would be far more faded...?

Should I run and hide?

EDIT: a crappy example

th_example_zpsd1696181.jpg

Also perhaps fog up the broken glass a tad more? it still looks fresh and has a blue hue to it
  • Trevelyan .
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I haven't been on PC for a few days and wasn't expecting to see my thread still active! Thanks so much for all your comments guys, really happy to be able to share this stuff with everyone...I'll do my best to address your comments :)

@ Poffington - thanks so much dude, i've just started a new job but will be posting some work from my last studio in the main forum...hopefully some new personal stuff soon!

@ ofca - wow statistics questions...ummm I'll reopen the scene and see if i can get some wireframes and texture details for you a bit later on :)

@ Hayden Zammit - Hey buddy, thanks for the compliments, i'll try to get a better pic of those brick corner wires if you like, basically the brick wall is a tiling texture and then I modelled and unwrapped about 6 individual brick pieces and painstakingly inserted them wherever I wanted to break up harsh straight lines in the brick walls. Another method is just to make those pieces and cleverly unwrap them to use your existing brick wall tiling texture ;)

@ Kaikasushi - thanks a lot buddy, yours is looking super slick too! Been showing it to some peeps in the office, lovely stuff

@ Jamie Murphy - thanks buddy!

@ starfrogsplash - hey, I used the crytek wiki for general info and a shader by fellow polycount member 'Choco' that helped visualise the layer blending in 3Ds Max, there's a maya version too...here's a link to the threads:

crywiki

chocos shader thread

@JamieRIOT - It's funny, when you picture lilypads in your head you think of the flat kind, but a google image search showed me that there were actually some really great structures of lilypads with interesting silhouettes, so I couldn't resist modelling those instead, glad you liked them in the end

@ Callesw - thanks man

@Quack! - lol your prof picture cracks me up everytime I see it, thanks for your compliments, really appreciated! ps looking forward to seeing you finish that D9 mech...so nice!

@ oniram - thanks mate!

@ Flat Face - heh no one's going to report you for decent critique! Nice observations there :) definitely always room for improvement that's for sure...think after a while of looking at any piece of work, your eyes glaze a little and you miss these details! Thanks :)

Thanks again for your interest everyone, any more questions please just ask :)
  • Ben716
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben716 polycounter lvl 10
    Looks ace man! The video has sealed the deal! Great job! :D