Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Dragon's Nest environment

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
Hi Polycount! I just started a new environment this week. Inspired by the Taktsang monastery in Bhutan, I'm going to do a slightly different take and put mine at a much higher altitude.

Some personal goals of mine:

1) Experiment with a non-conventional, non-modular UDK workflow. Unique geo using mostly tiling textures.
2) Focus on level flow, player path and vistas.
3) Learn Cascade! Blowing ice crystals, swirling snow, smoke from cookfires, etc.
4) Get more familiar with the skeletal meshes, so my rope bridge can sway in the wind.

Not too much to look at yet, but I've got the major areas blocked in with proxy geometry. I'm not happy with the layout of the buildings yet, the player path through them could be much better. It's way too linear and I want to incorporate some more verticality. The idea so far is that you start the level in a cave, walk along a cliff side, through the buildings, along a rickety rope bridge, and up to a shrine.

DN_01_Blockout.jpg

Replies

• Demokk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demokk polycounter lvl 3
    Interesting!

I recently learned how much of a difference particles and subtle animation can make on an environment. They make it feel much more alive.

What are you planning to do for the background vista?

Looking forward to your progress!
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Seems like an intresting project, I'll keep an eye on this.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small looking, but big update today! I knocked out the first building using my new texture pages and tiling textures. I went back and forth on scale quite a bit until I felt happy. I also figured out my new Maya to UDK workflow, mainly with the help of a script I found called Ragnarok. I was going to write my own and dust off my MEL skills, but luckily somebody did the work for me :)

http://www.markojaksic.com/articles/ragnarokexporter.html

So Marko, if you read these forums, thanks!

Now that this one is done, it should be relatively quick to knock out the rest of the buildings.

DN_02_BuildingTest.jpg

Here's the main reference photo I've been using:

DN_02_Reference.jpg

Next up, some material work for a vertex painting and grunge to break up some of the tiling. I'm also probably going to do a pass on the building layouts and level flow, plus a texture/material test for the mountains and rocks.

Demokk - Thanks! The background and vista are going to be mountain peaks poking up through a thick cloud layer.

Fenyce - Thanks!
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    that building looks great! would be cool to see the wires and textures :thumbup:
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    That building is sick, nice job! Agreed with linkov, I'd like to see some wires and textures!
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time, no update! Now that I'm back from vacation I've been cranking away again on this piece. I've got all of the major buildings blocked in and just finished up some polish work on the brick material. There's some small details like some roof ornaments, door fixtures, and small wall details that I want to add, but I'm trying to stick to broad strokes. I'm going to move onto the surrounding mountains and rocky terrain.

DN_03_Buildings.jpg

linkov, Auldbenkenobi, thanks! Here's a wire of one of the pieces and the main texture page I'm using for most of the detailed pieces:

DN_03_TPage.jpg
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been awhile since an update, but I'm still working away. I have my cliffs blocked in. Still toying with the material, textures and meshes a bit. I also worked on a "ground" layer of clouds for the vista. The sky is stock UDK for right now, but a custom one is on my list.

I'm going to jump back to the buildings. The sides just look too flat and boring, especially when you're walking between the buildings. I was originally going to use displacement, but after some R&D there's too many rendering problems to make it look good. Time for some tried and true modeling to solve the problem instead.

DN_04_RocksClouds.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    love the progress! Very nice use of tile textures.
  • refriedspinach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    refriedspinach polycounter lvl 3
    it would be nice to get some bevels on those hard corner edges of that piece that window piece.
    along with the great textures, a little more geo would push this into the next level and sell the structure that much more.
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    looking really awesome, I'd love a material breakdown for the snow on rocks shader if you're willing to share, loving the brick variation on the buildings too.
  • Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coots7 wrote: »
    looking really awesome, I'd love a material breakdown for the snow on rocks shader if you're willing to share, loving the brick variation on the buildings too.

Dot 0,0,1 (or normalmap) with 0,0,1 transformed to world space.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

refriedspinach - I'm working on pulling out some geo on the brick walls so that they don't look so flat and lifeless. The window modules will get some work as well.

coots7 - I can show some stuff in a bit, I'm still tweaking and tuning. The snow blend is a slight variation of what Santewi mentioned, which is kind of a standard little trick by now. However, instead of using the world z-up vector, I use a WindDirectionAndSpeed and mask out the speed. That way I can put a Wind Direction Actor in the world and get control over the direction that my snow cover happens.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks Santewi and Harbinger. I'd have to try it out to fully understand it, but I think I get the idea, still looking forward to what you show Harbinger.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Harbinger wrote: »
    I use a WindDirectionAndSpeed and mask out the speed. That way I can put a Wind Direction Actor in the world and get control over the direction that my snow cover happens.

That's a really neat idea! Going to have to play with that one.

I'm working on a similarly styled scene at the moment, do you have any more reference images you can link me to? :)
  • sevndaythry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sevndaythry polycounter lvl 6
    Lookin good, I wanna see how your experiments turn out.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback so far!

fearian - I had luck searching for "Taktsang", "Bhutan monastery", and just in general Bhutanese/Mongolian/Buddhist art and architecture.

I've been quietly working away on this piece and will be ready to show off quite a bit more soon. I just hit a road block though and I'm looking for some suggestions.

I just implemented my sun with a parhelion, or sun dog, effect. Before I polish it anymore and blend it in with the new sky shader I'm making, should I keep it or axe it? My concern is that it's such a relatively rare phenomenon that it might just look goofy. It doesn't act like a normal lens flare, because it isn't. It's basically a rainbow caused by ice crystals. So, when the sun occludes, the outer rings stay.

DN_05_Parhelion.jpg

I found a good reference on YouTube to see how they react to cameras as well:

http://youtu.be/vwCeQkF_fW0

Thoughts?
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    It's cool, but also like you said, goofy.

Personally, I'd axe it, only because its pretty rare. Didn't even know it existed until now, so when I saw the first picture without reading text I thought you might be trying to do some kind of different effect with the sun. Thats just my opinion, but yeah.

Everything else is looking stellar, can't wait to see what you got going on!
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    This project looks fantastic!
    I'd keep the flare if I where you.
    It shows that you have researched your subject and might prove to be an interesting conversation starter.
    Whenever you post the final piece to your site I'd add that info into the write up.
    Has there been any progress on the bridge yet?

Cheers
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After getting feedback, I've dropped the parhelion. Here's where I'm at currently:

DN_06_Brugstang_Vista.jpg

I'm pretty happy so far. There's a few additions I want to make to the temple, namely more ornate geo between the posts and the main beams. Also it looks kind of weird that the statue is sitting right on rock, so I'll build some wooden decking and some wooden steps leading up to it.

Higuy - Thanks for the compliments!

NomadSoul - Thanks! I kept the lens flare elements in the scene, but de-activated, so I can always show it if needed :) Nothing on the rope bridge next, but it's high on the priority list.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still chipping away at this. Forgot to post a vid of my progress. I had a lot of fun doing the vertex deformation on the banners and the hanging bells.

https://vimeo.com/84629950

Since the video, I've re-worked the rock/snow shader a bunch to make it cheaper as well as create a variant to let me blend in some gravel/dirt. Before I was using decals and I just didn't like the solution. I'm currently working on fixing up the rest of the rocks and pathways around the buildings. In between, I've been digging into Cascade to prototype my snow.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Over the past week I've finally dug back into this enviro. I completely scrapped my old cliffs, they were too round/blobby and I wasn't happy with the way the snow accumulated on them. It looked too over-done and a bit canned. So, new cliffs, and now everything has been moved into UE4. Overall not too big of an issue translating things, except for re-creating my materials and reworking textures to UE4's PRB system. The only big hiccups so far have been getting my foliage lighting looking good and getting used to the new postprocessing and tonemapping systems. No custom lighting abilities in UE4 mean some of my old tricks are gone. Using a subsurface material on my little scrubby grass clumps helps from sun-facing angles, but you can see they look too dark in shadows.

On the to-do list - Some asset cleanup, finish dressing out the scene, transfer my skybox and vista objects from the old UE3 scene, polish the lighting, add some blowing snow, smoke from cookfires, and some post processing polish.

DN_07_UE4FirstShot.jpg
  • Ssjtroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    Looks awesome man! You might be able to change the environment color to help with the dark shadows on the grass.
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    This. This I like. Looks pretty good already in these early stages :)
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll, Xaragoth, thanks for the kind words!

I've been polishing over the past couple of days. Better lighting, material tweaks, vista work, prayer flags added. Getting close to finished!

DN_10_Village.jpg

DN_08_Vista.jpg

DN_09_Dragon.jpg
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    The new tweaks are gorgeous!
    Don't know if you wanna take it in that direction, but I would suggest some vert-painted or decal stains on the large brick surfaces to break them up a little. You know, some water stains, bird poop etc
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, calling this one done. There's always more to tweak, polish and tune, but I need to put this to bed and start on the next one :)

Nomad - Do you mean on the bricks the statue is on or the building sides?

Here's a link to the Vimeo page for this. Lots of vertex deformation and material work. I also dove into Cascade for the first time for the snow, and plan on doing a lot more particle work on my next enviro.

https://vimeo.com/93279284

DN_11_CaveOpening.jpg

DN_13_Vista.jpg

DN_12_DragonStatue.jpg
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    That is some sweet lighting and particles, reminds me of Uncharted 2.
  • Surfur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16, Surfur, thanks!
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome, awesome work. Makes me wanna get into UDK again :)
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Love it. The work you've put into this has really paid off. But I think little additions would push this further such as some brick walls, some shovels/spades dotted about.

Certain areas of interest could be a little garden where they get the food from or a couple of washing lines and wash house. To be honest, I'm just spit balling ideas here.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    This is awesome! You should feel proud! Great work! :)