Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Portfolio for Future Job

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
This is my Thread for work on my Portfolio.

Portfolio

Critiques would be much appreciated thanks! :)

Piece 1 - Ak47
Piece 2 - Tr-Zero Bike

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a whole lot to comment on yet.

The layout is very odd, with the menu buttons essentially at the bottom and huge. I'd recommend going to a conventional layout, with a menu at the top with links to portfolio & resume and thumbnail links to the projects. I'd ditch the "Coming Soon" announcements entirely; it makes the site look rushed and unfinished (both of which might be true, but neither of which you should ever admit...)

From the few items you have, I'd say that texturing is probably your strong point. The polygon count seems rather high for what you have. For the 122 polys on the box, for example, I'd expect to see some bends in the top pieces and a smashed corner or two. (The tape on the box is also very odd; none of the 4 pieces of tape would actually keep either side closed. Keep in mind that even after you cut open a box like this the tape remains.)

I'd build the portfolio gradually, rather than going from what you have directly to 20k weapons. There are several intermediate levels you really need to master before diving into the deep end. Try some low poly (1-2k) vehicles; try to accurately model a simple, real-world item; create realistic materials on simple objects (even spheres & cubes would work - the focus should be on the material for this one).
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very informative stuff. As for the Coming soon images there mainly for my own reference, I would never show this to an Employer until its all finished.

*Added a Portfolio Link next to the Resume Button & removed the link on the header.

The box was made a while ago, I modeled in with animation in mind so you can open the box.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Showreels, unless you have animation, are a bit outdated I'd say. The layout is a bit counter-intuitive to me.

The standard sort of layout is sort of like this, and it works for a reason: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30185090/mhm/Tests/index.html
    (That's mine, and it's also heavily in progress)

It's easy to navigate, and quite simple to look at. One knows where everything is. I'd say, have all your projects on the front page, with each project's image pointing to said project's own page.

Right now, it seems like you're having a link for each section of your portfolio; and then, once in a given section, you can click on a project to go to the project page, which would just be too much clicking, I think.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with Joopson. I at first glance, I didn't assume I could click again once I enter the "weapons" or "props" section, so that was ultimately bad news bears if I was an HR and you were applying.

Second, a portfolio link is redundant if you can create a clickable banner, which most sites have and is expected.

If you are most proud of your props, they should be the most noticeable in your face thing when we get to the website.

Finally, I didn't realize this until I opened your site a couple of times, but it seems broken on different zoom settings, which doesn't sound like a deal breaker, but when I clicked the link, nothing was centered and your links to your subpages were in a single column. Keep in mind all of the variables of settings that who ever sees your site will have on their browser.

Portfolios sites are sadly the make or break moment of entire process, you could have the greatest work but if you don't sell it correctly or make it appetizing HR will never know how great you are, so be sure to take your time, and be prepared for a ton of iterations until you find something you are happy with, and that displays your work well. Keep it up!
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    your files are too big.

this image is in png format @ 700kb and some are higher than 1mb

http://payload196.cargocollective.com/1/13/422701/6226228/barrier_render_o.png

"save for web" with jpg high quality you could easily save it well under 200kb improving load times and no progressive loading.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep I agree with both of you Joopson & heboltz3, I Really like your layout and will work towards setting mine out the same. I will definitely "save for web" with jpg high quality from now on to.

I'll post back when I think I have it all sorted :) Thanks for all your feedback guys really helpful
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I've removed the bottom Thumbnails :( guess its for the best. if you guys didn't like it then employers will have the same attitude.

each thumbnail will be 1 object such not a page of different ones Joopson & heboltz3 your right about that.

However Question: Should I have Portfolio (Main Page) & Resume Buttons? Or a Link on the Header to the (Main Page) + Buttons for Resume & Contact? I see portfolios using both methods so Im not sure which is better. Im thinking the 2nd I described seems better However Im not sure Contact needs to be on a separate page. Opinions?

*Also I wont be adding a showreel I think so. as I said each page will now be 1 Object
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Links are better structured now for the kind of work I'll be creating. AK-47 is already in production thus why its the 1st Link, Also all my current Props are in the AK-47 Link for Image Size and viewing reference

I'll be removing them when need be
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any other Critiques? The only things I can think of that need fixing is the Large File Size (which I'll fix once I have more work to show) & there is a zooming problem with the Thumbnails (I'll look into)
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added 1 Piece (possibly Temp Piece) Until I create something better.

Tr-Zero Bike
    http://cargocollective.com/artbycarlkent

Critique?
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Add your contact info to the top of all of your pages, it's good form and it'll help people contact you.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah that's a good idea. I'll look into adding a similar contact setup that you have.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol Posted in wrong thread :/ moved to DOOM - Reaper's Rifle Thread.
    But Critiques on my work current would be great!