Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tank

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
S_ource polycounter lvl 9
Hey! Started working on this tank recently, following a concept by Thomas 'Anima' Da

Replies

• Matīss_Sola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great start!Also concept looks good.
    Now I would suggest you to loosen up the hard edges.Otherwise the normal map won't catch the detail ;)
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great start!Also concept looks good.
    Now I would suggest you to loosen up the hard edges.Otherwise the normal map won't catch the detail ;)
    Thanks, yeah its a great concept. I tried to keep them loose but i might go in and smooth those edges but i don't know if it is needed since pretty much everything is going to get a dose of sculpted edgedamage (with that i mean that that will probably smooth the edges some more). :)
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more work on the highpoly.
    tank_highpoly_render_02_zps25a30f65.jpg~original

Made a simple concept for a part that i thought about having on the top but i will most likely not use it.
    turret_concept_zpsfc29c9b0.jpg~original
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i'm pretty much done with the highpolybase.

tank_highpoly_render_03_zps9d508b1c.jpg~original
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    I like how it looks, gj!
    I think ur still missing some bolts and damage tho ;) This tank has obvously been shot at, can model that in there. The plate that's protecting the wheels also seems a bit small still. Liking it so far, good luck :)
  • Matīss_Sola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great!Turned out really nice.Will see how it looks after damaging in zbrush
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how it looks, gj!
    I think ur still missing some bolts and damage tho ;) This tank has obvously been shot at, can model that in there. The plate that's protecting the wheels also seems a bit small still. Liking it so far, good luck :)

Thanks! Yeah i will do a pass with Mudbox where i will add damage and rivets. I decided to make the plate over the wheels smaller because i think it looks better when you show more of the wheels, i also think it feels like the tank concept was inspired by old tanks which what i could find had no plates there but the newer ones does. :)
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The canon is now sculpted what do you think? I'm also wondering if i should include the characters.

tank_canon_sculpt_01_zps2de7dcd5.jpg
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    yes include them! loving this so far
  • Grindigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grindigo polycounter lvl 6
    Looks great so far, the concept reminds me of this game called Machinarium, maybe it's even the same artist not sure.
  • TomAnima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey !
    Really nice ! You've been pretty fast ;)
    I like what you have already done, the high poly base seems pretty clean.
    In my opinion, you should "break" the edges. As you can see on my concept, almost every edges are not straight. I think you should destructurate a bit your mesh ;)
    I can't wait to see the sculpted mesh, dont forget to sharpen the edges !

(Sorry for my terrible english ^^)
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomAnima wrote: »
    Hey !
    Really nice ! You've been pretty fast ;)
    I like what you have already done, the high poly base seems pretty clean.
    In my opinion, you should "break" the edges. As you can see on my concept, almost every edges are not straight. I think you should destructurate a bit your mesh ;)
    I can't wait to see the sculpted mesh, dont forget to sharpen the edges !

(Sorry for my terrible english ^^)

Thanks! I had it in mind, but i think i forgot to do it before i started to sculpt it and now the sculpt is pretty much done so i think i will skip it unfortunately. :)
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okey so i'm pretty much finished with the sculpt, what do you think?

tank_highpoly_render_04_zps054ad758.jpg~original
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Very cool. Digging the design. I liked the other robot peeking through the window. Bullet holes look strange to me. Think it would make more sense if they appeared at the front areas as they face the battle. Also they should be rougher.

Will you be adding any effects to the cobblestones, like them being crushed by the weight of the tank or something? Would add a lot with some unevenness anyway.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ wrote: »
    Very cool. Digging the design. I liked the other robot peeking through the window. Bullet holes look strange to me. Think it would make more sense if they appeared at the front areas as they face the battle. Also they should be rougher.

Will you be adding any effects to the cobblestones, like them being crushed by the weight of the tank or something? Would add a lot with some unevenness anyway.

Thanks! The head of the character is really big in comparison to the windows so i decided to just have one on the outside.

And about those bullet holes, i have decided that i'm wrapping up the sculpt and moving on although i don't really know if it would make so much sense to shoot at the front of the tank since its not to much to make damage on while on the side its the windows/hatches to shoot at. And if i change my mind in the texturing stage its not that hard to bake out a separate bullet hole and place it in the texture.

And about the cobblestone i have started the lowpoly and as mentioned i want move on from the sculpt so i will most likely not touch that. But i will see what i can do in the textures.

Thanks for your feedback and time, very appreciated! :)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i would "misalign" some pieces like in the concept , to give it a battered look on its structure, maybe also emphasizing the "comical" nature of the concept like make the top head a tad "curvy" , i am terrible with words, but if i have time later ill paintover what i mean :) looking good man !
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would "misalign" some pieces like in the concept , to give it a battered look on its structure, maybe also emphasizing the "comical" nature of the concept like make the top head a tad "curvy" , i am terrible with words, but if i have time later ill paintover what i mean :) looking good man !

I think i get what you mean :) I missed out on that and have already started the lowpoly so i will most likely not edit that unfortunately. And thanks :).
  • TomAnima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We want some news dude ! :D
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah as Joao pointed out it does appear all straight and "Stand to attention" look to it and if you take a look at the concept again you'll notice the side panels come out at a slight angle.

Plus the exhaust has small outward slant to it to and you've got to include that little fella taking a little peek outside the turret.

By making time to make these alterations you piece will benefit 100% because of it. Good luck.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The project have came to an halt at the moment but i will hopefully get started at it again soon.

I don't now if i will take the time to do the changes to the highpoly since i have already done the the lowpoly and started unwrapping.