Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Droid Female 2.0

Replies

• ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    ysalex - I have a pore alpha that I drag around. I use Smooth Peaks to even it out a bit... I dunno really. I just keep hitting undo a lot:)

snake85027 - Most of it was done in Maya. Brought it into zbrush for fun and for some small welds

Ferg - Dude! You still have a folder on P, Theodore! Also, you should show up for work, I think you might get fired by now

Mstankow - Fried Chicken

Mask_Salesman - good call, not sure if Im keeping them. Ill probably just remodel them in the low and get it right then

Perna - Whats wrong with glove things! Ha. I actually laughed the whole time I was making them, referring to them as oldschool scifi spandex suit with a plastic shell on them. Then I sighed, cried and said fuck it! Theyre staying! Cause seriously, this project needs to end.

Ill make one more pass tomorrow night finishing the head, the areas around the face and how it connects together. Lowpoly, this weekend, seriously.
    face_wip3.png
  • ichidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ichidan polycounter lvl 12
    loving this so far Endomi, total boss work!
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    nice work man, love this last update on the head.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    The work of a master. I'd love to see more pics of your process, and not just progress shots.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu this looks amazing!
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words guys

Makkon - If you saw how much I struggle... youd feel sorry for me:) Ill do a process recap at the end, I promise. If you have any specific questions, I can try and answer them.

Burned a bit of it in the oven....
    mmm_bake.png
    mmm_wires.png

Blinn. Bake only, no texture work done yet. Colors on metal is mask only. Could be more efficient with wires but Im lazy. Some areas are dense for material separation by faces. Wheres the body? Why Isnt this further along? Im going to go play Dragons Crown...
  • ichidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks more and more awesome everytime i look back!
    Love the detail in the eyes and hands.

Is this going to be to ingame spec? cinematic spec? or just no limits? :)
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    interesting edge loops on the fingers! :) not just straight cuts but following the high poly, aaand could make for a cool deformation!
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ichidan - There are limits, it's mostly geared to ingame. Im going to keep it under 100,000 tris! ha:)

thatanimator - I originally built it with three loops lined up with the knuckles...and gross.So I built it conforming to the shells, did some small tests while building it and the fingers bent well without making it look like rubber:) We will see what happens in the end

dustinbrown - This is currently geared towards the "next gen" game specs and the general near future... PS4...bricks with batteries taped to them... stuff... The face originally had a second subdivided shell ( it actually still exists, as seen in the screen grab) that would vertsnap into the skull and neck for in game/cinema use. I wont actually implement this because there's no real reason to in a personal project, and I changed some geo slightly so It wouldnt fit if I wanted. So even though it looks like wasted geo, it isn't. The geo in orange would never be subdivided, but would still need to hold up to closeups paired with the subdivided face. So it was a bit of a balancing act. The small piece on her forhead will be seperated out as well. The extra loop around the metal edging near her face was originally split with triangles towards the face in order to smooth out the faceting at the border. The current lowpoly face, neck, head, eyes...is sitting at 11,300 tris, the subd version is at 17,300. Pretty low even for the subdivided. As for the places that have geo that don't add to the silhouette... I know, but I notice the distortion it creates and I have to fix it. One small bend in a normal and Im pissed and the illusion is broken for me:( I can barley stand all the horrible faceting occurring on the skull, the nose, cheek...! It's everywhere!

subdthing.png
  • Dethmunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethmunk polycounter lvl 4
    Awesome work. I think her face really works, sort of has a hard steely emotionless feel to it. She definately looks the part. Epic gun by the way.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethmunk - Thks:) I actually started this project with a different face, but it was too natural and realistic looking. It's actually been a challenge balancing the look and feel of an "android" while trying to make it realistic. Ill share the original face eventually.

Spent most of the evening retoping the jkt... but thought Id share the face in it's current state so that it doesn't show up magically finished and polished one day:)
    skinstart.png
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    beautiful work.....I'm looking forward to seeing the model come together
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Amazing work man! Really sick attention on details! Lovin it... looking forward to see more updates!
  • SveinY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    She is quite a beauty. Awesome work so far!
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Man this is some super sexy stuff!

and that face...oddly reminds me of someone, is it based on anyone famous?

anyway, cant wait to see more!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    dat unwrap! cant wait to see your updates :D
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    man those pores are spot on!
    they look realy sharp. i often find that while baking my former crisp highpoly pores turn to something muddy that lacks the crispness :(

the only concern i´d have is that her eyelashes are a bit all over the place.
    i personaly like them more lined up and with a stronger curve.
    but they are wip anyways i gues.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Man this is some super sexy stuff!

and that face...oddly reminds me of someone, is it based on anyone famous?

anyway, cant wait to see more!

I instantly thought of Polly walker from Rome.

http://www.seat42f.com/cane-polly-walker.html

Love the unwrap ENDOMI.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Androids don't have belly buttons!
    mmm_bake2.png
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    ...I liked the original eyeshadow, very unique
  • ramakrishnan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI wrote: »
    Hey Polycount! Been a while:)

New personal project Ive been working on. Still WIP throughout the whole thing. The terrible hands are temp and are eventually going to be mechanized in some way... still need to sort that out. Helmet hair is temp also, itll be cards in the lowpoly. Railgun/Gauss is missing stuffs, shoulder straps and a power cable. Ill be posting more as I wrap up the highpoly and move onto the low.

Questions and comments welcome

droid2_WIP_enodmi.png

trigger_strap.png

hands_wip.png

face_wip.png

face_wip3.png
    Really very Nice work,,,,

How Did cloth stitching & Folds In Zbrush. Did u have any brush Setup Please Share
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today has been a very dark day. For the past week I have been getting these low memory warnings from windows. "Fuck you, Windows, I have 16 gigs installed, you silly bastard! Warnings? I heed no warnings!" So there I was painting in 3dcoat, all sorts of pretty occuring(arbritrary perspective here).... then black screen! Ctrl+Shift+Escape! Nothing... Oh shit. Oh damn. Ill reboot... check disk? Oh shit, oh god, oh no...corrupted files...which ones! Surely not the important ones!... Yeah, fuck me. Looks like I'll be redoing some textures. Geo is ok on the body, it's backed up... just not the texture work from the last three days. I also lost the lowpoly work of the gun... it's not even showing up in the folder I saved it too! Lots of random pc files missing/corrupted. Seriously, if you get odd messages, investigate, back up your shit...Im so stupid sometimes!
    This is the face texture:(
    ahhhhhfuck.jpg
    yeah:(

Update: Ordered a new hard drive. Guess I'll just scrap whats on my main and move forward from my last backup. Didnt really lose much creative work, mostly just map cleanup and layer setup. Ha, and my 3dcoat file was just fine, so ill be able to transfer those layers back over for the face if I want:) I still have to redo the lowpoly for the gun...boring
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Dang, sorry to hear that Endomi.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Ohh man, I rage when I lose 20 minutes of work. You must be fuming.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Wow. That sucks, man. Keep your head held high! Usually it's easier to replicate what originally created a second time, anyways!
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Sounds like a hard drive problem, your scratch disk maybe :(
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    That kind of thing has to happen to every 3D artist ^^

Happened to me twice to get very important files corrupted and now I'm so paranoid with saves and back ups that it hasn't happened in a while, haha.

I think, redoing something you have already done is one of the hardest thing as an artist. But it's always faster the second time ^^
  • Fishypants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants polycounter lvl 18
    This is super rad. Would you mind giving some tips as to how you model the clothes?
  • SittingDucky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SittingDucky polycounter lvl 10
    love it, killer hairstyle <3
  • ichidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry to hear about the corrupt data Endomi :( atleast usually when you make something again it turns out better than the previous!
  • Arthus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know how u feel, my hard drive just die last week. I lost 100 gb of my 3d and 1TB of my personal stuff... So stupid way to lost data :<
    I just buy two hard drive and all my important stuff will be on both from now... Also good idea is to make backups to something like google disc.
  • whiketan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whiketan polycounter lvl 3
    raid arrays or system restore. I like to have both going 24/7 no lost information ever.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after a long break due to the depression and anger of losing my work... Im back on it:) Seriously though, that sucked, but I believe now all is well and in order with my pc. And backups, backups of my work everywhere.

hairtest_01.png
    Hair test that I started a few days ago. Ive been looking at a lot of hair and a lot of methods over the last few months and have arrived at this conclusion: hair for current realtime game engines sucks. Period. So I guess Im making lemonade. This is only a test, with the bangs being the most refined. That said, as I move onto doing it for reals, Ill be more specific and careful creating my hair cards and textures. The layering will be pushed, the alpha will be refined and not blurry cappy looking, and hopefully itll just look better. The bulk of this is strips pulled from the corner of my 2048 texture, with one strip to the right for the strands. So I have a ton of elbow room moving forward to make this look awesome... for lemons. Oh, and this is a blinn material inside maya, nothing fancy, but I have every intention of getting fancy once Toolbag 2 is released or some other fancy shader steals my heart
  • jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    the hair looks gorgeous! looks like you're making a masterpiece here
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Glad you are back on it enodmi, this piece is still on track to be one of my favourite characters in a very long time.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Thats some good lemonade.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    really nice work, i know what you mean about the hair. i have yet to see a commercial game engine do hair properly. but so far i think toobbag 2 is by far the best option for now. your wip hair is looking decent.

may i ask how exactly are you painting the hair strands ?

and good to see get back at it again. i know the feeling of losing days of work - it is a total motivation killer.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ENODMI wrote: »
    Hair test that I started a few days ago. Ive been looking at a lot of hair and a lot of methods over the last few months and have arrived at this conclusion: hair for current realtime game engines sucks. Period.t

totally agree,you are doing a great job so far, its just super laborious making any decent hair :/
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM - The hair is actually baked out of some strips that I made using fiber mesh, and edited in ps. below you can see that i made an alpha, polypainted groups for masking, displacement map and normals. I use the polypaint mask for stuffs, the displacment is for creating and syncing a good spec map that plays perfectly with the normal map while having a better sense of depth to it. My original test with the bangs above had a poor edging in the alpha, Ive since cleaned it up and it looks much better. Im still experimenting with this and a couple other components that looks slightly better
    [IMG]http://enodmi.com/posting/hair layers.png[/IMG]
  • ichidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Literally blown away every time i see this, and the hair is coming along awesomely Endomi, I really need to learn how you have done that.
  • EarthQuake
  • weisheng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weisheng polycounter lvl 9
    this is absolutely fantastic and a great learning experience! that hair is totes amazeballs too ^^
  • jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    Dat hair :o Im loving this character
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Can you show what the fibermesh that you baked the hair from looked like?
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Oh my, that's some nice hair :o Can't wait to see this model finished!
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome progress man. Sorry to hear for the corrupted files. I would also love to see what the fiber mesh looked like if possible.
  • matmakin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    matmakin polycounter lvl 3
    uuuggghhhh so good! keeps getting better and better
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thks for all the kind words guys, I appreciate it:) Ill Post more on my process with the hair later as I get it nailed down, it's a bit hacky at the moment.

The hair is bright blue here so I can identify what is actually working with my process and what isnt. When it's black I can hide all of the problems:) This is just a test shell for testing the material, ill get some layers and life into it eventually.

Toolbag 2:)
    hairtest_02.png

testing still to do:
    - steal normals from another more unified mesh and average them with the lowpoly, sprinkle with magic and hope for the best
    - handpaint a better looking edge alpha
    - add a subtle and mostly unnoticeable second pass to the spec
    - yell at it some more
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Wow... It looks amazing. Would love to see a tutorial on how you made it the hair somepoint.