Home General Discussion

Modelling to a Concept....

Dave Jr
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
I apologise if this seems quite novice, straightforward and inconvienent; I just need a helping hand so I can move on and blockout my scene before I start pulling my hair out!

I'm trying to match my scene up to this concept:
bfea.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

I've posted this previously on the forum when I had some trouble and used the advice given to get to where I am currently:

yhxo.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

My issues are that, I'm finding half the items I have to model - the street lamp for one doesnt line up to my grid and therefore whilst modelling moving it below my grid to actually get it in place; yet my perspective lines and FOV seem to match :\ Causing issues such my scale - my lamp currently fits in at 7ft despite it looking double the size...

If someoneone could spare 5 minutes to explain the basics; then I'd greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do i have to line my grid up in some way or... :\
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    start the block out with simple meshes first, set the perspective with approximate look to the image
    make it look and feel like the concept

your model size should be the one that comfortable to work with,

don't bother about the math behind it... :)
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So ideally, I could just blockout the general shapes and worry about the camera/viewport later on?

The thing that really rattled me, was i'd be making things to match the perspective even though I could see it wasn't the right size; the street lamp was made at 7foot to match that image, even though it looks approx 12-15. (i.e. the size of 1 storey building).
  • Velktri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Velktri polycounter lvl 6
    Concept art like this is made to explore the feeling/mood of the environment. It's also important to be aware that concept artists follow their own compositional rules to make an impacting piece. For example, the light may be that tall because the artist didn't want to block the house behind it or perhaps he wanted a focal point up top to help your eye move around the piece.

In the end, your 3d translation doesn't have to look the same, but it should have the same mood. However, you will express mood and feeling mainly through color and lighting as opposed to perspective and proportion.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    also consider if your trying to copy a concept exactly in 3d that the concept will not have perfect perceptive, and it's not like a picture where you can match the fov of the original camera to the viewport.

just get some meshes down, and decide how big you want your player to be, and check to make sure things that are human size like doors, tables chairs etc are a good size relative to your character in the scene. but most important of all block out all the big shapes first.