Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Fantasy Burg

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
glenatron polycounter lvl 11
I've been chipping away on this project in my spare time for a while now, and I think it's probably reached a stage where I'm ready to show it, and get some critiques/feedback on it.
It's a small walled village, or burg, inspired by some of the lovely concept art by Artyom Vlaskin aka Banderlog: http://banderlog.cghub.com/

Still to do:

- A lot more detailing/dressing around the outside of the wall
- Paint a proper skybox
- Floor (cobblestones) texture
- A lot more flowers/wall ivy/trellising
- More decals small rubble scattered around the ground
- Fix the UV mapping on the exterior wall
- Redo crappy radiosity lights

Let me know what you think, and what could be worked on. Commence wall of images!

burg1.jpg
burg2.jpg
burg3.jpg
burg4.jpg
burg5.jpg
burg6.jpg
burg7.jpg
burg8.jpg
burg9.jpg
burg10.jpg
burg11.jpg
burg12.jpg
burg13.jpg
burg14.jpg
burg15.jpg
burg16.jpg

Replies

• Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    just wanted to pop in to say this looks great so far. I will be watching this!
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    I love the flow of this piece, everything follow the terrain curve wich is awesome. I would personally find another type of lighting mood, this one is too generic if I can say so...

Great work so far
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Interesting model proportions, I can't decide if it's a tilt shift like model I'd encounter in a more strategy like game or it maybe could possibly be a more third person over the shoulder affair, obviously I'd lean a lot more on the former.

The one thing I can spot is the lighting is rather dull and bland. Making it bright, with more contrasting colors between light and dark could make it pop more IE

4SWcsPK
    4SWcsPK.jpg
    4SWcsPK
  • Demokk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demokk polycounter lvl 3
    Really nice!

I agree with locater16 and djoexe, the lighting is making your textures look a bit bland. Everything else looks nice!
  • glenatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glenatron polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the feedback fellas, and big thanks for the paintover locater16! Lighting's probably my weakest skill at the moment. I'll come back and have a solid go at the lighting when I do a detail pass, to try and get it up to scratch
  • merc-ai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work, glenatron.
    I am not entirely sold on the variety of stone sizes you use (the road cobblestone feels too small compared to other floor stones, for example). Other than that, really nice, love the textures feel and overall color scheme.
    Keep it up!