Home General Discussion

Modular Building Workflow Query.

Dave Jr
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
Hi Guys,

I'm currently working on a modular piece for my portfolio in my spare time when I'm not at work. I haven't really made anything modular before in that everything can be reused/shares the same texture sheet etc.

Whilst I'm taking up this project, I'm trying to learn as much about it to make it much easier and further my understanding; however things I've noticed in tutorials seem to be contradictory to what I've been told previously.

The video in question is 3D motives modular workflow: https://www.3dmotive.com/v101002

In which shows everything UV mapped in the 0-1 space, as seperate chunks to then be reused, with a larger brick section; however I was always told these could flow off the 0-1 UV space to make it repeat? Or is this not possible within game engines?

I was also told, that 1 Unreal Unit is 1 Maya Unit if you set the grid up properly and these units are equal to a 16grid unit and is therefore 1 foot...

or somewhere along those lines... I'll post the texture sheet from 3D motive below.

m2pa.jpg

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If you want a normal tiling texture, you would have to use a separate texture, but you can use that texture to tile by creating an extra uv seam where ever you want it to tile. That works well for this building, and does not add too many extra polygons to the model, but this approach isn't ideal for every situation.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    If you want a normal tiling texture, you would have to use a separate texture, but you can use that texture to tile by creating an extra uv seam where ever you want it to tile. That works well for this building, and does not add too many extra polygons to the model, but this approach isn't ideal for every situation.

Apologies Zac,

I'm not too good at this approach so forgive me if I sound a little silly.

When you mention that ideally I'd have to use a seperate texture, why couldn't I possible just have some UVS hanging off my 0-1 space for it to follow on; by that i mean something like this:

t9b4.jpg

and to be honest, I'm a little lost with the UV seam implementation; or the idea of using an additional map for Tiling Textures.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Because 0-1 space is tiled beyond it boundaries.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside wrote: »
    Because 0-1 space is tiled beyond it boundaries.

So, I'm guessing although this works in 3D software; this isn't the behavior of UVW space in game engines?

I would greatly appreciate further clarification on this!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    So, I'm guessing although this works in 3D software; this isn't the behavior of UVW space in game engines?

I would greatly appreciate further clarification on this!

you could just try it you know since this is the behaviour of game engines unless the texture is set to clamp.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    you could just try it you know since this is the behaviour of game engines unless the texture is set to clamp.

I wanted clarification so that I don't spend hours on something, and then get critiqued on how I could have optimized or done it in a different manner.

I'd rather know from the offset whether or not something can be tiled using the 0-1 space in the manner I suggested or if its easier to use the 3D motive technique rather then fighting myself making an environment in a much less efficient way.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    things tile on there own as they extend out of the 0 to 1 space. or in a case like this where there are many textures in the layout you can simply just map multiple polygons to the same part of the texture to tile things, addseams if needed.

when I said just try it I said that because you will understand better once you do it your self. also this would not take hours just a few minutes.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers - I've gone over it!

Greatly appreciated to both Passerby and Zac D - amazing.

Obviously this would cause issues with normal maps though?
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    Cheers - I've gone over it!

Greatly appreciated to both Passerby and Zac D - amazing.

Obviously this would cause issues with normal maps though?

Shameful bump!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It wont cause any issues with the normal map if it was created to tile properly.