Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Fantasy Lake Town

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
So I've been chipping slowly (even too slowly) at this and I've got to step things up if I want to get it to a decent state before I start hating it.

It's gonna be a portfolio piece and I really want to make it as best as I can, so critics and comments are REALLY welcome, and I'll try to implement them so that I can learn to take criticism too (a skill that i currently lack sadly).

Anyway, the enviroment is roughly based on Artyom "Banderlog" Vlaskin concepts on CG-HUB.
783_max.jpg

This is the main image i'm going off, but will take inspiration from his other pirate themed concept as well, and hopefully a bit of my own.

Here are some first texture I've done for the environment, but they were really experiments in both style and techniques so I'll end up redoing them entirely in the near future.
You've probably already seen them in the WAYWO thread too.

tiling_wall_texture_by_nitroxart-d6fuctm.jpg
tiling_roof_texture_by_nitroxart-d6hiuy2.jpg

I've used the 2.5 canvas for them but I eventually "developed" a technique to make tilables without loosing the editabilty (is it even a word?) of the mesh and with much less oh-my-god-I-failed mistakes.

Currently Building some modular pieces for the docks
modular_wood_plank_by_nitroxart-d6j9k3l.jpg

and finally here's the initial blockout for the first zone i'm building, the port.
fantasy_lake_town_wip_000_by_nitroxart-d6jz3am.jpg

And some wips of the first pass on it.
fantasy_lake_town_wip_001_by_nitroxart-d6jyzv3.jpg

fantasy_lake_town_wip_002_by_nitroxart-d6jz0gz.jpg

So much to do still and so much to fix already, but I really need to keep things going and mantaining this thread will hopefully keep me motivated enough to finish this massive scene.

Replies

• locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Well, you've got some textures, a basic start, and a good concept piece. I suppose I can offer encouragement. "Go go continuation!"
  • samifira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samifira polycounter lvl 10
    Gorgeous concept piece, can't wait to see this scene's progress.
  • Logithx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logithx polycounter lvl 5
    That's a nice concept piece. With the proper lighting and background terrain this is going to look badass. Gonna be a big project, good luck with it.
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Theodoric polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, awesome concept and good start. This is gonna be a long project. Can't wait some more progress...
  • Demokk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demokk polycounter lvl 3
    It is looking nice so far!

I am trying to do an environment inspired by the same concept too hehe. It seems that you are going for a more stylized look.

Good luck! I'd love to see your progress.
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone for the encouragement :D

Today I did quite a lot of stuff even tho you might not actually tell from the screenshots...

I've been fixing a lot of collision boxes and finally sorted out the modular piece as they should be on the grid aligning nice and clean. Most of the pivots were a mess before and mostly placed randomly just for the sake of blocking in things.
    Also messed around with TOD, tweaked the ocean and a bit of ambient stuff.

Also made some first trim textures and some more assets for both the wooden docks and the stony part. It's nice how fast I can now iterate on stuff when i've got just some basic textures going and all the pieces on the grid.

Here's some progress screenshots. I've made 2 "keyframes" in the TOD settings so i can have both a night and day settings...
    First night screenes this time :p
    fantasy_lake_town_wip_004_by_nitroxart-d6kcf38.jpg
    fantasy_lake_town_wip_005_by_nitroxart-d6kcf4j.jpg
    fantasy_lake_town_wip_006_by_nitroxart-d6kcf4c.jpg

Also got some lights in for the night time, but they probably don't make much sense yet since their source aren't in yet... anyway i'll be making them soon enough.
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some progress but I'm still fighting with procrastination and real life issues...

Made 2 tiling textures and some trims, built some more modular pieces, need to import an updated version of some pieces in engine.

Currently texturing the doors and the stairs and making random pieces of stuff to dress the environment up a bit.

fantasy_lake_town___008_by_nitroxart-d6lt0nu.jpg

fantasy_lake_town___009_by_nitroxart-d6lt0mp.jpg

fantasy_lake_town___010_by_nitroxart-d6lt0no.jpg

And this day shot showing the first iteration of the new wall texture with some nice PoM :D
    fantasy_lake_town___wip_007_by_nitroxart-d6l42di.jpg
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Amazing textures!
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant: Thanks! I'm trying my best :D I've also learnt a lot while doing them so i get the urge to come back and redo some of them...but i don't have time : /

Stairs textures and some more trims done, modeled some placeholder cliffs to test the blend shader + vertex color workflow for making "seamless" cliffs to blend in the terrain.

fantasy_lake_town___011_by_nitroxart-d6mkbi4.jpg

fantasy_lake_town___012_by_nitroxart-d6mkbju.jpg

fantasy_lake_town___013_by_nitroxart-d6mkbjn.jpg
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    Starting to take shape! looking forward to seeing more progress :)
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    What engine is this? awesome stuff.

Edit: woops it's in the title. :|
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Nice start but I think it would do better if you blocked out the entire scene first before digging into details. At least I really want to see that castle in 3D.
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful concept!
    Your textures are really awesome for this piece.Looking forward to it!
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi: Thanks! ye i'm kind of slow but i'm learning a lot so it's really worth it and i'm enjoing it so much :D

Snafubar7: Thank you :). It's in Cryengine3 sdk.

AimBiZ: I know that I should be blocking in it more but I'm doing this in "stages" because I want to focus on one area at a time and see how far i can take it before a deadline i've set myself (which is also terribly close). I'll probably not have enough time to make the castle for the deadline, but i'll be sure to come back to this after the eurogamer expo.

silkroadgame: Thanks :D. I'm really enojoying doing this texture even tho i'm probably taking too long to finish them, but i really want them to be at the best of my abilities :D

______

Some more progress today, I've made even more trim and tilables and I've got to say it's amazing how fast i can spit out new modular meshes this way.

I should have probably planned a bit more on the tilables sheets and for my next project (and also for the next textures in this one) i'll be sure to plan ahead more! Do it guys! Plan ahead!

Here are some screens
    fantasy_lake_town___014_by_nitroxart-d6msl3n.jpg

And here's the newly started "stage" of the level.
    fantasy_lake_town___015_by_nitroxart-d6msl4p.jpg
    fantasy_lake_town___016_by_nitroxart-d6msl40.jpg

I'll be making 2 more tilables and some unique pieces in the next 2 days for the Inn that I'll be reusing to make the whole village.
    Then it'll be time for some vegetation and some minor props.

Also the terrain, cliffs and surrounding area needs some attention but I'll probably takle them after the village.

Thanks everyone for the crits and encouragement, I'll be sure to have something more to let you make actual crits on soon, so keep them coming!
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Keep going I wanna see dat castle!
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Everything looks good so far, however I think that your stone floor looks a little too uniform. Whilst it tiles really well, and you've adjusted the height levels to vary the tiles depth; there all at the EXACT angle.

If tiles have become loose, to the point where they are higher, or lower then originally planned; the angle would also alter. The point i'm trying to get across is ideally rotate the corners to just vary this a little. - Make some edges lower and others "pop" that bit more.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    Loving this, the texture work is awesome.
    One thing I would point out though is the transition from the cobbled surface to the bricks on the pier.
    A little trim would work wonders there.

Cheers
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron: You'll have to wait a bit, but i really want to do it so i'll eventually get there :D

Dave Jr: Do you mean the texture on the walls or the cobblestone pattern on the pavements? If you mean the walls i'll be sure to come back to them and either tone down the height variety or move the stones around a bit.

NomadSoul2501: Yep that's already been pointed out to me by a friend, I was supposed to have done it a long time ago but in the end never did. I'll make sure to fix it when i make the the next pass on the dock's part.

I've done quite a bit of work on the inn today, made quite a lot of new textures but unfortunatly i've got no screenshots to show as I'm heading out for today :p
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates updates... progress on this has been terribly slow but i'm getting there. Problem (or not) has been me learning a whole lot of stuff about CE3 everyday and wanting to implement it... and you might not even see it as they're really minor stuff as reflections from env probes and such.

Anyway as usual here's the screenshots:

famtasy_lake_town___017_by_nitroxart-d6nsfqq.jpg

famtasy_lake_town___018_by_nitroxart-d6nsfrw.jpg

famtasy_lake_town___019_by_nitroxart-d6nsfsr.jpg

famtasy_lake_town___020_by_nitroxart-d6nsft6.jpg
  • Rokugan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokugan polycounter lvl 7
    This is really turning out beautiful! Subbed!
  • Korax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Korax polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah good job ! We want see moar
  • AlexKola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    Those bricks are hot, is that texture only or is there geo boosting the bump?
  • earthyn1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is fantastic keep up the good work!
  • 3dlix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice progress - i think that is such a complex architecture. curious about your upcoming updates.
  • CarelessMonday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarelessMonday polycounter lvl 9
    When's the deadline - hope there's more updates coming soon, suuuubbed.
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    Oh yeah moar! MOAR! Great job!
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had almost forgot about the thread xD

I had an hard drive crash and most of the engine files for the level had been lost... I still have the assets on an other drive so I'll come back to this and rebuild it from scratch eventually!
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox wrote: »

I had an hard drive crash and most of the engine files for the level had been lost... I still have the assets on an other drive so I'll come back to this and rebuild it from scratch eventually!

Please do!
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, HDD crashes are the worst. I make sure to back everything up and then again a second time. Loosing work once is too many. Hope to see the project up and going again sometime in the future, was keeping an eye on this one.
  • Lord Waffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Waffles polycounter lvl 10
    Fnitrox wrote: »

This is heartbreaking news